The discovery thread!
Jan 26, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #54,481 of 99,782
It says on AccessoryJack that they may not send to the UK because of Brexit? It's the only place they are available, as I spoke to a Sony employee and they said it's discontinued from their site unfortunately.
You can email them and ask for more info on that, I have no idea whats going on.

Yes it is very likely that the N3 has been discontinued so the only place to get a new unit is from accessoryjack.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #54,482 of 99,782
Dunu Zen cooking until next Tuesday. Zen and its stock cord connected to my SPL Phonitor for a decent break in. Next will be K Bear Believe. Using Tidal as my source for Phonitor and Matrix Sabre Pro DAC. I have three playlists that are 400 + songs long each.

Jan 26, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #54,483 of 99,782
Dunu Zen cooking until next Tuesday. Zen and its stock cord connected to my SPL Phonitor for a decent break in. Next will be K Bear Believe. Using Tidal as my source for Phonitor and Matrix Sabre Pro DAC. I have three playlists that are 400 + songs long each.

Im interested in your comparison. If you use a computer to listen to your music and have Equalizer APO, I have created an EQ profile what I think is a relatively close approximation of the Zen's frequency graph for the Believe (to try and make the Believe sound like the Zen). If you want it, I can send it to you and you can let me know if its even close :wink: as I do not have a Zen.

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #54,484 of 99,782
Enjoying Zen Moment, enjoyed the Luna. But this sound signature just appeals to me in a different way. Maybe in the Highs or Mid region is where I am trying to find what is the element that stands out.

Do like the bass in the Zen much better , maybe it's more blunt or less refined than the Luna and this allows for certain hip hop songs to sound closer to were they need to be, Alt Rocks sounds great.

Shells are beautiful, but fingerprint magnet and will be keeping them in the small bag within the case.

Dunu really knows how to make a purchase feel special, their package, accessories, layout and presentation excels. No doubt Luna was on another scale. They raise the bar on technical abilities but also show the customer that the purchase is special

Why? Doesn't 64 Audio do a bit more for example, these are big purchases and they should show the care for the product in all aspects.

In any case will burn these for 24hr to find any changes

20210126_122424.jpg

20210126_122437.jpg

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #54,485 of 99,782
Im interested in your comparison. If you use a computer to listen to your music and have Equalizer APO, I have created an EQ profile what I think is a relatively close approximation of the Zen's frequency graph for the Believe (to try and make the Believe sound like the Zen). If you want it, I can send it to you and you can let me know if its even close :wink: as I do not have a Zen.

It is not my usual course to use IEMs to listen to my computer system. I usually listen to my headphones, but have decided to change my procedure. I no longer have to alternate between HiBy R 6 2020, R 6 Pro, Ibasso DX 220, Sony ZX 300, Hiby R 3 Pro Sabra and R 3. Bought 2.5 balanced to 6.3 mm and 4.4 balanced.to 6.3 mm converters on Amazon and they arrived this morning. It just beats the doggy do out of changing out DAPs.
The Believe is a good every day IEM and it has a fun sound. The Zen is more reference. Save up for a ZEN. It's worth it.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #54,486 of 99,782
It is not my usual course to use IEMs to listen to my computer system. I usually listen to my headphones, but have decided to change my procedure. I no longer have to alternate between HiBy R 6 2020, R 6 Pro, Ibasso DX 220, Sony ZX 300, Hiby R 3 Pro Sabra and R 3. Bought 2.5 balanced to 6.3 mm and 4.4 balanced.to 6.3 mm converters on Amazon and they arrived this morning. It just beats the doggy do out of changing out DAPs.
The Believe is a good every day IEM and it has a fun sound. The Zen is more reference. Save up for a ZEN. It's worth it.

So does that mean you can listen on your PC? I only ask because I want someone who happens to own both the Believe and the Zen to try out my EQ profile for the Believe that is designed to make it sound closer to the Zen. I made a Believe profile that is meant to sound like a 1ZR as well, and after having tweaked the bass further, I found something that sounds drastically different from the Believe yet engaging, with a more expansive soundstage.

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #54,487 of 99,782
Hey guys,

I just posted my review of the DUNU ZEN. Simply put, it is a paradigm shift in its price class. 👍

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #54,488 of 99,782
161C2128-65D1-4165-8F92-19036F6E449A.jpeg
C0011F5F-76BD-451E-BA7C-E1FE399E343B.jpeg

UM 3D Terminator (3DT) just arrived.

Here is a brief initial impression:

The bass region of the 3DT sounds accurate and controlled. In typical high-end dynamic-driver fashion, it is detailed and textured without losing body or fullness.

Mids are neutral with a slight emphasis towards the top (upper Mids).
Midrange tone is smoother and lusher than the KBEAR Believe. Clarity is top notch, as is resolution, and there is only a small bit of microdetail missing compared to the top-tier hybrid earphones such as UM’s own MEST.

3DT picks up emphasis towards the upper midrange and continues along the treble, but manages to keep its top end in control without going too hot. Overall, the 3DT does an excellent job of conveying treble energy, without harshness or sibilance.

Whereas the overall signature of the 3DT seems lively and energetic, the presentation follows a bit more laid-back approach. Its soundstage is not quite the widest in absolute terms, but it is quite spacious, airy, and open. There is not a hint of the confined, closed-in feel.

Even in this brief encounter, 3DT sounds like one of the best multi dynamic transducers I’ve come across, UM’s tuning showcases individual driver’s abilities beautifully. The sound is clean, quick, airy, and dynamic – everything a high-end earphone should strive toward.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #54,489 of 99,782
Yeah @CamWuu, the Hiby R5 was mentioned. I love mine. It's excellent for Tidal etc, has balanced output, and is very highly skilled audio playback.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #54,490 of 99,782
unnamed (3).jpgunnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpg

Shanling ME700 lite

An audition was performed by connecting to the 2.5mm balanced terminal of the E1DA 9038SG3 and 3.5mm out of the iphone 6S.

Immediately after first listening session of the ME700 lite, I could tell the transparency and resolution level are extremely high.
For Mid to High frequency range, ME700 lite almost matches the IT07's detail retrieval level and only drops slightly behind on bass resolution.
Dynamic rises quickly and the image is very clear. One thing I noticed with the ME700 lite's imaging is that fine sound grains are tightly packed inside, and yet the images of the instruments are well separated. For a hybrid IEM, timbre is very good and have no peculiar habits, and even if I listen at high sound pressure level, my ears were not stressed as distortion level seemed quite low. I was also impressed by the clear separation of each note in the bass, and the faithful reproduction of the changes in timbre down to the lowest octave. Overall all frequency ranges are integrated harmoniously to make it quite musically accurate sound.

Also one thing I found interesting was that no matter what genre I listen to, I heard the optimal sound, as if this was tuned for that individual genre.
I think balanced frequency response is one of the attributing factor for this impression. Genres I tried were classical, jazz, hip hop, rock, metals, and folk.

First, I tried songs centered on live musical instruments. In Bill Evans Trio's masterpiece "My Foolish Heart", I paid attention to the relaxed piano sound at the beginning.
The ME700 lite shows a delicate touch and intonation. When listening with earphones such as Legacy 4 or TSMR-5, the sound becomes bit thin and it is difficult to understand how it spreads in the space, but with the ME700, it gently extends into a wider space. In the following, cymbal, the luscious fine sound of the sizzle and the sound of the snare with a brush do not become a lump, but are intertwined with the relaxed piano. It's a pleasant sound that makes you feel like you're listening to live music.

Then, "Respighi: Symphonic Poem Roman Pine" (Boston Symphony Orchestra) conducted by Seiji Ozawa is played. A high-energy performance is unfolded in a large space that does not make you feel the ceiling. The sound of orchestra is faithfully open and spacious. Even the details of low-volume woodwind instruments are heard clearly. String instruments are silky smooth from the mid to high frequencies. Even in the part where the sound changes finely, the sound of a quick attack approaches one after another with natural decay. I enjoyed the brilliant scale of playback which perfectly achieved both smoothness and speed.

Now after all this praise, there are few cons I need to disclose. ME700 Lite's cable is pretty bad: noodly, feels cheap and only single ended. Shell is on a larger size and maybe challenging for some to fit them properly. Also similar to my Andromeda, because of its impedance curve, it is super sensitive to output Z. I felt the iphone 6S with a Z-out of 4ish ohms was better match than >1ohm of E1DA.

Overall, the Shanling's flagship IEM lived up to its price tag and then some. ME700 lite provides a balanced sound with very pleasant treble and an open, spacious soundstage. Blindfolded, you’d hear that you were in the presence of a big, dynamic, full-range, and incredibly balanced set. You might not know how much it cost, but you’d know it was expensive. With your eyes open, you’d see that you were paying for gorgeous white shell and superb presentation (sans noodly cable) and finish.

@tgx78 I think it’s interesting a comparison with SA6 and DM8...

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #54,492 of 99,782
Hmm I'm interested in a DAC/AMP or some sort of dongle for my S7 Edge which is basically all I use for my IEM's/X2HR. Any recommendations under £100?

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro dongle.

It can drive most IEMs other than very power demanding types or planars. I bought two at $27ish USD during sales.

Very black background, no hiss, good measurements, neutralish with a tinge of warmth, very transparent. And very low output impedance so suitable for those multi BA finicky types. Also has volume control and doesn't get warm.
U can ask more in the Sonata HD Pro thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tem...ing-sound-small-size-affordable-price.934007/ as perhaps some smartphones that are older may not be compatible, so best to check with them.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #54,493 of 99,782
Tempotec Sonata HD Pro dongle.

It can drive most IEMs other than very power demanding types or planars. I bought two at $27ish USD during sales.

Very black background, no hiss, good measurements, neutralish with a tinge of warmth, very transparent. And very low output impedance so suitable for those multi BA finicky types. Also has volume control and doesn't get warm.
U can ask more in the Sonata HD Pro thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tem...ing-sound-small-size-affordable-price.934007/ as perhaps some smartphones that are older may not be compatible, so best to check with them.

+1
I can understand why you always recommended this mighty one. Despite the volume step is to much.
Working like a champ with my Xperia XZPremium!:)

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #54,494 of 99,782
UM 3D Terminator (3DT) just arrived.
How do you compare these with Penon Volt and Ibasso It07 in term of bass and clarity?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back