The discovery thread!
Jan 13, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #53,911 of 99,709
Yes the EST is also very nice I've heard this Facebook group has lots of post and comparisons with the Leisurely series just happened to stumble on it when searching through google for some reviews. You will need to use Google translate because it's all in Chinese https://www.facebook.com/groups/913202265767549/
Ah, I didn't know there is a facebook group, joined. I do read Chinese so it's no problem for me. If anyone like to know what they say, I can translate. It seems ther is also a D series which is a DD and BA hybrid line, even more choices to make.....

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #53,912 of 99,709
Ah, I didn't know there is a facebook group, joined. I do read Chinese so it's no problem for me. If anyone like to know what they say, I can translate. It seems ther is also a D series which is a DD and BA hybrid line, even more choices to make.....
Yeah I saw the D series which looked really good for the price as well. I read that the D7 had a little more bass than the L12 but not as much detail. Also I'll keep you in mind next time I need some Chinese translated :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #53,913 of 99,709
Great review! I love the cable too.

For the other side of the spectrum, I bought a Nicehck 16 core copper cable. It is also very well made and only $10. I bought it hoping it would slightly trim the 4K peak on the Starfields and it seems to do just that by about a dB or so:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32954926911.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5a6a4c4dqtueS0

I got this very cable on my Shoeur Tape Pro, and it shaves the peaks and lifts the bass. Excellent synergy between the two.

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #53,914 of 99,709
I got this very cable on my Shoeur Tape Pro, and it shaves the peaks and lifts the bass. Excellent synergy between the two.

I've ordered a C16-3 cable with balanced 4.4mm termination, taking advantage of the ongoing sale. Looking forward to finding out how my ZAX would respond (and the TD06 as well)

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #53,915 of 99,709
See Audio Yume! These are probably the best looking iems in it's range. Getting good reviews everywhere.

Attachments

• 5_ecb2a326-29e1-414e-8f2b-e1a8e81f095e-01.jpeg
    5_ecb2a326-29e1-414e-8f2b-e1a8e81f095e-01.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #53,916 of 99,709
Yeah I saw the D series which looked really good for the price as well. I read that the D7 had a little more bass than the L12 but not as much detail. Also I'll keep you in mind next time I need some Chinese translated :smile_phones:
Yeah, the review also said it has very similar tonality to the L12, with thicker mids but less detail and seperation, so I think I'm gonna go for the D7. 1DD+6BA for ~$180 is way too tempting.

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #53,917 of 99,709
MT300. I must say that even if I've paid a full $160 price for it, - there wouldn't be any buyers' remorse. The bass-head dream. But that would limit my ability to enjoy it. Can anyone tell, if MT300 bass will decrease with burn-in?
What was a total surprise though, - how well these metal shells fit my used to custom-universal resin ears. MT300 is the best fitting metal IEM! Period. Isolation is also surprisingly good, so much so, that I could use it in NYC subway if I wasn't weary of moisture condensate.
Fiio could learn a few things. Unlike FD5,- MT300 I didn't have to uglify with band-aid tape. My cable is right under 120 cm. This is a good cable that brings mids forward, so flattening this V will be a challenge.
MT300 impressed me out of the box, even though tuning is nowhere as "audiophile precise" as FD5, - the stage is comparable in size. I would say MT300 is deeper, while FD5 is more airy and open.
FD5 has noticeable sub-bass roll-off, so bass-heads shall move on. At 20hour point FD5 is finally better than FD1, noticeably so, but value is questionable, as FH3 is still my favorite Fiio that doesn't have fuzzy DD treble and rolled of sub-bass.
BA treble is always an issue for me, but DD treble is usually worse and FD5 is not an exception. Will see if another 80 hours will change that.
MT300 treble is also problematic, but it has already improved in 2 hours, and if what one reviewer said, that in MT300 ABM is used for mids(BA is a super-twitter), then it needs a lot of burn-in time as well.
1610589575469.png

At the end of the day, literally, - I'm satisfied with both, but FD5 has potential for mods due to its removable nozzle, and it also serves as a lesson to stay away from this form-factor, so DUNU Zen is officially off my list. I'm not paying $700 to put tape on top of "fancy design".
The 2nd lesson is to keep an eye on upcoming Senxxx creations, as MT300 appears to be as innovative as Tri I3, while ergonomics and build quality is superior.

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #53,918 of 99,709
Yeah, the review also said it has very similar tonality to the L12, with thicker mids but less detail and seperation, so I think I'm gonna go for the D7. 1DD+6BA for ~$180 is way too tempting.
After listening to the L12 for a few hours it sounds great the only area I wish was a little better was the bass. Don't get me wrong it can punch very hard especially for a all BA IEM I just found it a hair lacking in some songs in the and even just a slight I mean slight like .5db tweak to the 60~120hz area helped round it out completely maybe it will fix itself after some burn in. However I need to keep testing before I come to my final conclusions. The details and separation are amazing on it compared to my ThieAudio Legacy 3 and TSMR 3. I can pick out things I completely missed or struggled to hear on the Legacy 3 and TSMR and their is nothing in the upper frequencies I don't like.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #53,919 of 99,709
MT300. I must say that even if I've paid a full $160 price for it, - there wouldn't be any buyers' remorse. The bass-head dream. But that would limit my ability to enjoy it. Can anyone tell, if MT300 bass will decrease with burn-in?
What was a total surprise though, - how well these metal shells fit my used to custom-universal resin ears. MT300 is the best fitting metal IEM! Period. Isolation is also surprisingly good, so much so, that I could use it in NYC subway if I wasn't weary of moisture condensate.
Fiio could learn a few things. Unlike FD5,- MT300 I didn't have to uglify with band-aid tape. My cable is right under 120 cm. This is a good cable that brings mids forward, so flattening this V will be a challenge.
At the end of the day, literally, - I'm satisfied with both, but FD5 has potential for mods due to its removable nozzle, and it also serves as a lesson to stay away from this form-factor, so DUNU Zen is officially off my list. I'm not paying $700 to put tape on top of "fancy design".
The 2nd lesson is to keep an eye on upcoming Senxxx creations, as MT300 appears to be as innovative as Tri I3, while ergonomics and build quality is superior.
What is the rationale for taping up the FD5 ?

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #53,920 of 99,709
I wonder what people here would consider BA IEMs capable of slamming hard with bass, albeit not necessarily in a way that the slam would outstay its welcome.

Mainly asking because out of curiosity I once asked how to recreate the ER2XR with a home made IEM on the thread of the same name. The answer I got for bass was 1 Knowles BK and 4 Sonion 2389s... So that's 5 BAs per side JUST FOR THE BASS! And I imagine ER2XR is not exactly basshead either... But perfectly capable of slamming hard when asked for I assume.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #53,921 of 99,709
the MT300 does settle down in the bass department, but it's still a thicker presentation than say the A7 or NM2+. That's why I like it so much. It's MUSICAL and technical, with that unique treble and that enveloping stage. It's not a thin noted iem by any stretch, so if you're the kind that wants ultra transparency and lighter note presentation, the MT300 isn't for you. It's on the warmish side.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #53,922 of 99,709
What is the rationale for taping up the FD5 ?
I'm not blocking vents, just reduce pressure points. This way it securely rests inside the concha without scratching. I only tape the sharp edges. M3 band aid tape is soft rubbery foam tape. Later I will figure out something better.

Fd5 has potential as I tried incerting pieces of foam in that roomy nozzles, and it changes sound more than cable does.
I already like it but compared to powerful bass of FH7, - is a bit disappointing. With this tuning it doesn't beat Blessing2. When burn in completed, will post on Fd5 thread.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #53,925 of 99,709
IMG_20210114_212623458.jpg

Received the Tiandirenhe TD06 (?) in green and gold this evening. The cable-less option cost me $24 and it's making do with one of my spare KZ specials for now.

AE link: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNu8TK1

This company honestly does a bad job at describing exactly what they are selling, but these are the ones that have a single DD, sport the same shell as the Openheart resin/Smabat black bat and come with three pairs of tuning nozzles (coloured black, red and blue). I'll need more time to experiment with the nozzles, but the blue tuning is what I'm going with for now.

Fit and comfort is sublime, especially after swapping the stock silicones for Sony MH750 tips. The contours allow the shell to sit securely in my outer ear and achieving a good deal is effortless.

How does it sound? Well, the bass is prominent on this one, with a surprising degree of sub-bass extension. Unlike my ZAX and SSP, these are perfectly happy to thump and growl in a visceral manner. Thankfully, while these are warm and bassy, they don't come across as dark and recessed. The mids and treble are definitely not as pronounced as the lower frequencies, and there is maybe a bit of mid-bass bloat, but detail retrieval is adequate if not class leading. The overall presentation is on the intimate, closed-in side at the moment, with not a great deal of width and depth to the soundstage and feeling somewhat short on "air", but they may yet open up a little with burn-in and a balanced cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back