The discovery thread!
Dec 21, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #53,041 of 99,387
Dec 21, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #53,042 of 99,387
So I finally received my Tape Pro. It only took a month, and the box came with the corner dented in. Now OOTB, I found them to have very undefined bass, and the mids are a bit...shouty. Now i still got some tip rolling to do, and DAP matching, but at the moment, the MT300 is superior to the Tape Pro in almost all categories. Maybe the bass improves with burn in, but so far, the bass on the MT300 slays the bass on the Tape Pro in resolution, speed, and definition. The highs are also superior, much more extended, and natural. Now that doesn't mean these aren't good. They are a good iem, with above average detail retrieval and excellent vocals with a decent stage, but up against similar earphones, they just don't keep up, and that includes the NX7 mkIII. I'd say they are on par with my Sony Z5 or XBA300.

p.s. Been running it balanced out of the X3III and the R5.

IMG_4643.jpg
IMG_4641.jpgIMG_4642.jpg

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #53,043 of 99,387
Sorry I didn't order this, but perhaps someone else did? It does look quite interesting but I've gotta clear some space in my IEM drawer before getting more sidegrades. The eagle eyed wife is scrutinizing every package that comes in the mail!!!
Lol! And that's why I'm happily divorced. Sell the wife and buy more side grades! 😋

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #53,044 of 99,387
So I finally received my Tape Pro. It only took a month, and the box came with the corner dented in. Now OOTB, I found them to have very undefined bass, and the mids are a bit...shouty. Now i still got some tip rolling to do, and DAP matching, but at the moment, the MT300 is superior to the Tape Pro in almost all categories. Maybe the bass improves with burn in, but so far, the bass on the MT300 slays the bass on the Tape Pro in resolution, speed, and definition. The highs are also superior, much more extended, and natural. Now that doesn't mean these aren't good. They are a good iem, with above average detail retrieval and excellent vocals with a decent stage, but up against similar earphones, they just don't keep up, and that includes the NX7 mkIII. I'd say they are on par with my Sony Z5 or XBA300.

IMG_4643.jpg
IMG_4641.jpgIMG_4642.jpg
Keep burning them in and if you haven't already done so, play around with the different filters that come with it. I try to never rush to judgement on anything I get until a significant amount of burn in time, tip swaps and a cable swap or 3.

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #53,045 of 99,387

IMG_4643.jpg
IMG_4641.jpgIMG_4642.jpg

that's about right : it is underwhelming compared to other IEMs OOTB. I remembered being disappointed that i wanted to box it up again immediately.
but do give it a chance by putting some playtime. This is one of products that i personally think the company should do preliminary "break in" themself before selling it.

Dec 21, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #53,046 of 99,387
Sure, and if there was a better sounding version before, then more power to those who got them, because my version sounds very very good, and much better than i was expecting. it surpassed my expectations, and i love listening to music with them.

IMG_4639.jpgIMG_4638.jpgIMG_4637.jpgIMG_4636.jpgIMG_4635.jpg

What I noticed by checking Ali review photos, is that the nozzle grill is not the same in all cases.

The ones sold at the begining had a more specific one:
IMG_20201222_022051.jpg

I guess the more generic grill keeps the price lower.

Dec 21, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #53,047 of 99,387
What I noticed by checking Ali review photos, is that the nozzle grill is not the same in all cases.

The ones sold at the begining had a more specific one:
IMG_20201222_022051.jpg

I guess the more generic grill keeps the price lower.

It's such a good earphone. so good. i'm giving the Tape Pro a chance with the Sony A45, Fiio amp, and Rush - 2112.

Dec 21, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #53,048 of 99,387
but at the moment, the MT300 is superior to the Tape Pro in almost all categories. Maybe the bass improves with burn in, but so far, the bass on the MT300 slays the bass on the Tape Pro in resolution, speed, and definition.

Ooooo this bodes well for me, having pulled the trigger in the middle of the night on an MT300 from AliExpress for $72 :sweat_smile: I justified it in part because of a disappointing session I had yesterday in which I realized my (original) Shuoer Tape has a terrible, terrible channel imbalance -- my cheap little mixer has a balance control and I had to move it far to the left to fix it so that the right wasn't yelling at me far louder than the left... I bought it second hand at a low price, so I'm not going to sweat it, and after all, it pushed me to buy what I hope is far better in the MT300. :D

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #53,049 of 99,387
If you enjoy the Tape, then you'll love the MT300. I'm almost positive. Can't wait for you to hear them. Biggest surprise of the year for me.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #53,050 of 99,387
Well, I received the Fiio FD1. First impression is that they are quite capable. Solid resolution and speed for this price range. Not sure it really tickles my soul to the degree the BLON BL01 does with its timbre even though by any other metric, the FiiO is more capable. Will have to roll some more tips and give it some more brain burn in to see if its a keeper.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #53,052 of 99,387
that's about right : it is underwhelming compared to other IEMs OOTB. I remembered being disappointed that i wanted to box it up again immediately.
but do give it a chance by putting some playtime. This is one of products that i personally think the company should do preliminary "break in" themself before selling it.
Yeah...frankly I think they all should do this, no matter how much it costs. It kinda pisses me off, when companies make me do their work for them. I've had several sets that needed 100-150 hours of burn in (that's stated right in the manual). It's not just with iems; it's just the audiophile companies in general. I still say...if you make gear, it should sound at its best straight outta the box.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #53,053 of 99,387
Yeah...frankly I think they all should do this, no matter how much it costs. It kinda pisses me off, when companies make me do their work for them. I've had several sets that needed 100-150 hours of burn in (that's stated right in the manual). It's not just with iems; it's just the audiophile companies in general. I still say...if you make gear, it should sound at its best straight outta the box.

Should New Balance break in your shoes as well? How bout Ford putting those first 500 miles on and breaking in your car before they give it to you? Suck it up and do the work! :laughing:

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #53,054 of 99,387
MT300 or NiceHCK NX7 Mk III - I see you have both...I have failed to find a comparison. Would you mind giving me a short run down?

Cheers

Sure thing. So the MT300 has more natural highs and they are very extended. it's like the crashes and shimmer go on forever lol The NX7 III is smoother, has better detail retrieval, and a smaller stage. It's not narrow, despite what some will tell you, but the MT300 has that type of enveloping stage that you find in the A7 or the Mofasest Trio. Mids are very close, but i'm gonna give the mids edge to the NX7. They just have a nice edge, dig deep for details, and attack. I think that was done on purpose, because one of the critiques of the old NX7 was it's thin mids. Not anymore. They were tuned to be the sweet spot, and they hit it. Bass is punchier, more respolving, and has better definition on the MT300, but the NX7 is not too far behind. It's just that the bass can really hit the floor with the MT300 that is noticeable. THOOMB THOOMB THOOMB! i'd say if i were to rate the bass on the MT300 an 8, i'd rate the bass on the NX7 a 7. Imaging is also kick ass on both, but the MT300 is slightly, and i mean slightly more 3D. Overall, they are so close in performance and price, for me, it comes down to that unique, resolving, and super extended treble on the MT300 and dat bass, mon!!! dat bass!

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #53,055 of 99,387

Users who are viewing this thread

Back