The discovery thread!
Apr 2, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #46,906 of 99,709
@RikudouGoku last time u bought a Peacock Audio P1 right? How was it?

Seems the same company/co brand is releasing a new model on Aliexpress. Damn psychedelic colours!! I imagine if I dropped this IEM in some grassy forested area, it will never be found again, good camouflage!!

Reecho&Peacock Audio Spring Custom Triple Driver IEM

$130

Details:
Professional 2DD + 1BA Triple Driver
. Equipped with the Reecho self-developed coaxial structure 8mm dynamic driver and BRC30095 high frequency balanced armature, along with the independent dynamic driver and balanced armature design, this model delivers a unbelievable ductility from 10KHz-20KHz. Tuned with balanced three frequency this earphone suits for most music style and feel free to choose it

Unique Aluminum Annular Diaphragm. This model adopts a special dynamic driver of the breakthrough aluminum annular diaphragm, bringing easy control in low frequency transient and better resolution. With the separate cavity, the dynamic driver takes advantage of coaxial driver to deliver a broad sound field.

Driver: Dual Dynamic Driver + BRC30095 Balanced Armature
Frequency Response: 10Hz - 38KHz
Impedance: 16ohms
Sensitivity: 106dB
Connector: 0.78mm 2Pin

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture3.PNG
Well at the time the peacock P1 was basically like the TFZ No.3 but more balanced and V-shaped than the U-shaped the no.3 has. And since it costs almost double of the no.3 it wasnt very good price/performance wise but it sure looks nice. With this priced at 130 usd and being a hybrid with 2dd, 1ba it might be a very good iem value wise. But I am not very interested in it besides the looks (mostly due to not having any information on how it sounds like)

Apr 2, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #46,908 of 99,709
I thought balanced was the opposite of v shaped.
It can be balanced and V-shaped at the same, mids arent as recessed as a V-shaped would generally be. (for example the Shuoer Tape has recessed mids, so not balanced) but Peacock P1 does have good mid quantity and is not recessed that is why I call both Balanced and V-shaped.

Apr 2, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #46,909 of 99,709
It can be balanced and V-shaped at the same, mids arent as recessed as a V-shaped would generally be. (for example the Shuoer Tape has recessed mids, so not balanced) but Peacock P1 does have good mid quantity and is not recessed that is why I call both Balanced and V-shaped.
Then how it be v shaped. Makes no sense to me.

Anyway I don't care about shape . I like mine.

Apr 2, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #46,910 of 99,709
Then how it be v shaped. Makes no sense to me.

Anyway I don't care about shape . I like mine.
Boosted sub and mid bass along with boosted treble.

Apr 2, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #46,912 of 99,709
Apr 2, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #46,913 of 99,709
That would make it not balanced.
"Balance - essentially tonal balance, the degree to which one aspect of the sonic spectrum is emphasized above the rest. Also channel balance, the relative level of the left and right stereo channels."
https://www.head-fi.org/articles/describing-sound-a-glossary.12328/

if it is only V-shaped then mids are either recessed or bass/treble is more forward. But if it is balanced V-shape then Mids are not recessed (bass/treble is not overly emphasized and mids are then not overshadowed by them). At least thats how I interpret that.

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #46,914 of 99,709
balanced means somewhat equal volume or energy between the bass, mids, and treble region, regardless if each of the region have a specific notch or dips in them. this makes not all "balanced" sets sound exactly the same.
so V shaped can't be considered balanced.
W shaped however, can be.

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #46,915 of 99,709
Well guess this is a case where people have different definitions on it, just like with the word fun and technicalities.

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #46,916 of 99,709
I guess this is the reason I personally do not use "balanced" to describe how a set sounds. IMO, it is better to stick with describing a set as either V or W or U or neutral/flat.

But yes, people have different definitions and usage of terms

Apr 2, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #46,917 of 99,709
I have written this before. Here on Head-Fi there has been a more recent blanced term used meaning the bass and treble are boosted equally so they are balanced like a scale...
1585852006233.png
... and it kinda pretends mids are not there and refers to top and bottom. Not sure why it gained traction. Simple enough to call it a balanced V which describes it well enough. Of course a V where mids are not recessed is not a real thing. That is a W and not a V. :)

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #46,919 of 99,709
I made a large battle-way comparison between multiple IEMs from China and Linsoul :)

The list includes BGVP DMG, Tenhz P4 PRO, TRN V30 and V80, and Shozy Hibiki MK II :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2020/04/linsoul-chifi-heaven.html

Audiophile-Heaven-Linsoul-Art%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

My latest youtube video is also live, about RHA TrueConnect, a true star in the world of TWS, for build and comfort, but not for sonics sadly... :)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #46,920 of 99,709
I don't want to get into the controversy over profiling, but I would like to give my opinion, because I find it an interesting conversation.
Taking advantage of the fact that I have just published the review of the NF Audio NA2, in its "Profile" section, I have commented that

"The NF Audio NA2 has a slight W profile, with good balance in all ranges. Although, you could say, they have a good accent in the sub-bass area."

For the description of the profile, apart from the sound, I usually lean on its frequency response:

NF Audio NA2 Bass Tips vs Balanced Tips.png

I agree that, a V profile cannot be considered balanced, but there can be a tendency to balance if its curve is smooth, that is, if the mids are not recessed. I prefer to talk about slight V's, rather than balance or equilibrium. But, these are always recurring words that can appear in any comment, when describing something as subjective as sound.

Anyway, here I leave you my review about the NF Audio NA2, that I hope you like, beyond the definition about its profile :wink:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nf-audio-na2.24196/reviews#item-review-23493

Users who are viewing this thread

Back