The discovery thread!
Nov 20, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #45,136 of 99,049
Nov 20, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #45,137 of 99,049

This FR is for which IEM?

If I'm not mistaken, we need a slight boost around the 2 - 5 kHz regions as compensation to sound "neutral" to our ears as sound bypasses the external ear structure in IEMs. So this IEM might actually sound U/V shaped in real life.
Though a lot of CHIFI companies go the other way and overly boost the 2 - 4 kHz regions, it seems a lot of the local Chinese audiophile market likes this boost, in contrast to most westerners, who find it fatiguing after longer listening sessions. Plus, some previous budget CHIFI sets did this 2 - 4 kHz boost to create a fake impression of more details, though lately CHIFI has become more refined in their tuning to not have to resort to this trick.

Nov 20, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #45,138 of 99,049
My Penon Sphere finally arrived and I am very impressed by the sound and comfort of it. I was a bit sceptical because of the use of only one single BA driver, but the sound is very impressive from the lows up to the treble range, it has a mature tuning. The Penon Sphere shows a fast bass response with with adequate quantity, while the midrange is musical and rich in terms of detail. The treble on the other hand is pretty transparent and clear along with good extension. There is no harshness at all. The housing of the Sphere is pretty small and very comfortable which should be an advantage for ears with a smaller size. All in all, I am quite impressed by the performance of a single BA IEM at this price range.

20191120_115745.jpg

Nov 20, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #45,139 of 99,049
I received the Venture Electronics Bonus IE today. Not that I am a fan of this company and their wild boss...at the time, I pitied the "reviewers" that spent a Masters thesis on the $5 Monk Plus earbuds, that sounded like...a $5 earbud

I just have to say that I love my Monks. They were my first earbud so it took me a while to learn how to fit them. For me they have an addictive sound that allows me to listen for hours and hours... with a dap with enough power (they are 64 ohm) and folder play through enabled I have sometimes accidentally listened until near dawn.

BUT, these Bonus IE really caught me: V-shaped, of course, but very very pleasantly implemented. A warm, clean image with a pleasant depth...based on a seductive bass somewhere between firm and wooly. And everything remained modest at the high end. I had so much fun, I stayed out longer shuffling snow in the early Western Canadian winter.

So I guess you had no problem with driver flex with the BIE? For me it was the worst I had experienced (along with my TFZ Exclusive3). Also the bass was almost headache inducing level for me. Finally after trying around a dozen tips I finally settled on these from the Sony MH1C. I don't know what it is about these tips but now the bass is tolerable and the driver flex is lessened... although I still have to be careful while inserting them... especially on the left side.

Nice photo btw, and I suppose while shoveling snow you can handle more bass then I can while relaxing on the sofa at 2am:) Probably I should use these while gardening or doing stuff around the house....

10372336.jpg

Nov 20, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #45,140 of 99,049
This FR is for which IEM?

If I'm not mistaken, we need a slight boost around the 2 - 5 kHz regions as compensation to sound "neutral" to our ears as sound bypasses the external ear structure in IEMs. So this IEM might actually sound U/V shaped in real life.
Though a lot of CHIFI companies go the other way and overly boost the 2 - 4 kHz regions, it seems a lot of the local Chinese audiophile market likes this boost, in contrast to most westerners, who find it fatiguing after longer listening sessions. Plus, some previous budget CHIFI sets did this 2 - 4 kHz boost to create a fake impression of more details, though lately CHIFI has become more refined in their tuning to not have to resort to this trick.
Namless coming 3 ba campfire

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #45,141 of 99,049
I received the NX7 pro and with the silver filters, it sounds excellent. Blue is a bit dull and I didn’t try the red since it’s suppose to be like the stock NX7. I would say the pro is better then the original by a good margin. No tizziness at all. Nice balanced sound. I’d get this over the NX7 after having both. Sounds really, really nice.

So do you think it's worth to upgrade from nx7 to nx7 pro?

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #45,142 of 99,049
So I guess you had no problem with driver flex with the BIE? For me it was the worst I had experienced (along with my TFZ Exclusive3). Also the bass was almost headache inducing level for me. Finally after trying around a dozen tips I finally settled on these from the Sony MH1C. I don't know what it is about these tips but now the bass is tolerable and the driver flex is lessened... although I still have to be careful while inserting them... especially on the left side.

Nice photo btw, and I suppose while shoveling snow you can handle more bass then I can while relaxing on the sofa at 2am:) Probably I should use these while gardening or doing stuff around the house....

10372336.jpg

I never experienced driver flex with any earphone. The much better sounding HungryPanda buds made my Monks obsolete.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #45,143 of 99,049
So do you think it's worth to upgrade from nx7 to nx7 pro?
For me it’s an astounding yes. I switched back and forth and the NX7 sounds unnatural and I’m a big fan of the NX7. Pro has 3 distinct sounds and anyone who didn’t care for the weirdness in the vocal/treble region of the NX7 is fixed. I really like the sound using the silver filter.

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #45,144 of 99,049
For me it’s an astounding yes. I switched back and forth and the NX7 sounds unnatural and I’m a big fan of the NX7. Pro has 3 distinct sounds and anyone who didn’t care for the weirdness in the vocal/treble region of the NX7 is fixed. I really like the sound using the silver filter.
Thanks I guess I'm upgrading.

I just don't know what to do with the old one...

Nov 21, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #45,148 of 99,049
Just posted my review of the Spheres. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-sphere.24054/reviews#review-22924

Turns out these guys are nothing like the Aliquicktoexpress earphones. This is their first iem and their first earphone in 2 years. They took some time to make this one and it shows. I had some fun writing this one. Just got the new DX160 which synergizes really well with the spheres.

Nov 21, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #45,149 of 99,049
upload_2019-11-21_18-23-43.png

Nov 21, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #45,150 of 99,049

Users who are viewing this thread

Back