The discovery thread!
Nov 11, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #44,687 of 99,286
Are you saying the "new" BL-03 that are being sold might come with a longer nozzle? Those would be worth checking out.

It was supposedly being planned, but it never came to fruition as far as I’m aware of (at least not yet).

Don't get too excited though. Back when it was 1st mentioned, the price was going to be significantly higher. Remember, the only difference was a slightly longer nozzle, so what the thought process was for a big price hike is beyond me.

In a way, I’m kind of glad it never came to fruition because I think the affordable price has been the main driving factor of the BL-03’s popularity. It the BL-03 was $100, would as many people be going bonkers over it? No way Jose.

Nov 11, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #44,690 of 99,286
I took a dive in the deep and did something totally different. I have ordered a custom design Hisenior A6 (6 Knowles BA). Had some conversion with Gareth and according to him they are an improved Hisenior B5 with bass boost. Lead time is 7-10 days for custom design so it will take a while before it even ships.

Also order a NiceHCK 16 core cable, the Blon cable for my incoming BL03, some KZ cases and Spinfits CP360 for my Shanling MTW100. I made great use of the coupons i acquired the last month :ksc75smile:

Nov 11, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #44,691 of 99,286
The Dunu DM380 remind me a lot like these phones

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JMV5H9G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

upload_2019-11-11_11-44-58.jpeg

Nov 11, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #44,692 of 99,286
It was supposedly being planned, but it never came to fruition as far as I’m aware of (at least not yet).

Don't get too excited though. Back when it was 1st mentioned, the price was going to be significantly higher. Remember, the only difference was a slightly longer nozzle, so what the thought process was for a big price hike is beyond me.

In a way, I’m kind of glad it never came to fruition because I think the affordable price has been the main driving factor of the BL-03’s popularity. It the BL-03 was $100, would as many people be going bonkers over it? No way Jose.

If the shell is injection molded, a new mold can cost $50K.

Nov 11, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #44,693 of 99,286

Somewhat doubt Blons are that worse from TFZ No. 3

Nov 11, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #44,695 of 99,286

Yeah $30-40 seems to be the honey pot. @$50 you start losing buyers, $75 even more, and $100 people will think twice. At $100, you are now competing in the known brand entrance level that has store presence, warranty, return policies, etc.

Also, I think it is important to realize a longer nozzle will change the tuning if the same driver is used. I think you would see changes in the treble response, if no changes made elsewhere. The short nozzle might be part of the magic for some of these budget models that stand above their peers.

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #44,696 of 99,286
Question...thinking some here may be in the know. Is the 11.11 HCK Lucky Bag choice A $7.99 MMCX BT aptX cable this cable...
51aF%2Buco1AL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #44,697 of 99,286
If the shell is injection molded, a new mold can cost $50K.

Agreed. It appears to be a cast zinc alloy shell. Molds are not cheap, so I totally understand why they’d want to try and recoup their costs.

IMO, since the volume of most ChiFi earphones is relatively low (ie a few thousand at most), it would be much easier and cheaper to make a jig that would allow them to mill off the existing nozzle. Then they could press on (or glue on) a new nozzle of the desired dimensions (length).

Such as this off-the-shelf nozzle:
C5B2EE6E-A7B3-4679-B2CA-BB2B19961A33.jpeg

Or even tap the shell after milling the nozzle off, and offer a few threaded nozzle filters as part of a “Blon Pro” package (just like NiceHCK did with the NX7 Pro).

Reworking the existing shells would allow them to continue to use the existing earphone shell mold instead of investing in a new mold that may never have its costs recouped.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #44,698 of 99,286
Yeah $30-40 seems to be the honey pot. @$50 you start losing buyers, $75 even more, and $100 people will think twice. At $100, you are now competing in the known brand entrance level that has store presence, warranty, return policies, etc.

Also, I think it is important to realize a longer nozzle will change the tuning if the same driver is used. I think you would see changes in the treble response, if no changes made elsewhere. The short nozzle might be part of the magic for some of these budget models that stand above their peers.

Oh, a different nozzle would just certainly require some retuning.

Longer nozzles generally boost low end, which will be a different Blon BL-03 than we know today. They could offset the change somewhat by maintaining the same internal volume as the stock nozzle.

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #44,699 of 99,286
Sure, but be careful these Blon Cardinal Bluejay...no specs given...apparently different sound from the BL-03.

Oh, a different nozzle would just certainly require some retuning.

Longer nozzles generally boost low end, which will be a different Blon BL-03 than we know today. They could offset the change somewhat by maintaining the same internal volume as the stock nozzle.

My BLON Cardinal has just arrived at my customs today, hopefully I can let u guys know soon whether they sound the same as the BLON BL-03.

I took a dive in the deep and did something totally different. I have ordered a custom design Hisenior A6 (6 Knowles BA). Had some conversion with Gareth and according to him they are an improved Hisenior B5 with bass boost. Lead time is 7-10 days for custom design so it will take a while before it even ships.

Also order a NiceHCK 16 core cable, the Blon cable for my incoming BL03, some KZ cases and Spinfits CP360 for my Shanling MTW100. I made great use of the coupons i acquired the last month :ksc75smile:

Hisenior B5+ is one of my favourite IEMs as it is a rare midcentric tuning, very atypical to the usual V shaped/harmanish tuning out there. If only the bass on the B5+ is of greater quantity, it would be close to an endgame tuning. I do EQ the bass up a few dB as I'm a basshead, but it does narrow the soundstage a tinge with a boosted bass.
This Hisenior A6 looks super interesting, let us know how they turn out.

Somewhat doubt Blons are that worse from TFZ No. 3

BLONs and No. 3 are quite different kettle of fish, even though both are single DD IEMs.

TFZ No. 3 is more basshead and more suited for bass forward music like EDM and stuff that needs better instrument separation/details/clarity.
BLON is more laid back but better in acoustic instrument timbre. BLON doesn't do that well for music that has lots of complex instrumentation/multiple riffs going on. More suited for slower genres and genres that have lots of acoustic instruments.

1) Isolation
TFZ No.3 > BLON BL-03

2) Timbre + Tonality + Note weight
BLON BL-03 > TFZ No.3

3) Clarity/instrument separation/details
TFZ No.3 > BLON BL-03

4) Soundstage width
BLON BL-03 > TFZ No.3

5) Bass (quantity)
TFZ No.3 > BLON BL-03

7) Sound signature
TFZ No. 3 - U shaped, most basshead of these single DD IEMs, with great subbass extension and quantity. Has elevated 2 - 3 kHz and 8 kHz frequencies, but has treble roll off at higher treble frequencies. Lower mids are recessed compared to higher mids.

BLON BL-03 - L shaped, harmanish

Apparently Dunu DM-380 shares the shells with at least two other pairs, all with 6mm*1 and 5mm *2 drivers:
  • NFJ N300 Pro: seems to be the first, and "of different materials"
  • Hisenior N3+: graphene diaphragms
  • Dunu DM-380: titanium diaphragms

The Hisenior N3 looks very similar in design and internals to the Kinboofi F60 and a few other OEM type triple DD (1 x 6 mm and 2 x 5 mm) stuff on AE.
Probably a bigger company is doing OEM for smaller ones and just reuse the shells/drivers and stamp a different logo on the shell.

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #44,700 of 99,286
BLONs and No. 3 are quite different kettle of fish, even though both are single DD IEMs.

TFZ No. 3 is more basshead and more suited for bass forward music like EDM and stuff that needs better instrument separation/details/clarity.
BLON is more laid back but better in acoustic instrument timbre. BLON doesn't do that well for music that has lots of complex instrumentation/multiple riffs going on. More suited for slower genres and genres that have lots of acoustic instruments.

1) Isolation
TFZ No.3 > BLON BL-03

2) Timbre + Tonality + Note weight
BLON BL-03 > TFZ No.3

3) Clarity/instrument separation/details
TFZ No.3 > BLON BL-03

4) Soundstage width
BLON BL-03 > TFZ No.3

5) Bass (quantity)
TFZ No.3 > BLON BL-03

7) Sound signature
TFZ No. 3 - U shaped, most basshead of these single DD IEMs, with great subbass extension and quantity. Has elevated 2 - 3 kHz and 8 kHz frequencies, but has treble roll off at higher treble frequencies. Lower mids are recessed compared to higher mids.

BLON BL-03 - L shaped, harmanish.

Eh. I have put double exposure of the graphs of BLON and Harman 2017 and the BLON seems to be boosted from 500Hz onwards compared to treble which we assume relatively flat. It's not that harmanish giving the thing they have 4 to 6dB boost in lowest frequencies.

So, what are your suggestions to get except T800? Are TFZs worth it? How good is A6 Mini? I just bought T800, but maybe I'll get something else so I can diversify the sound a bit. People say A6 Mini has almost the best microdetail, how is that compared to T800?

Maybe TFZ? I listen to EDM oftenly and No. 3 are oftenly recommended due to their basshead nature. No. 3's surely are interesting and if I got 7 (get anything up to $100 more expensive) on Linsoul awards for $9 I would have gotten TFZs, definitely. Do TFZs sparkle well?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back