The discovery thread!
Sep 28, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #44,146 of 99,726
I've already got the Moondrop KPE and TFZ No.3 for DD'S. The BLON BL-03 seems like a great contender, but it seems like a cross of those 2 iems, which seems kinda redundant, since I already own those sets. And then, there's also the fit issue. I like iems with longer stems, which the BLON doesn't have. And since I already own and enjoy the NX7, I'm gonna spring for the DB3, to see how they play with other kinds of music I like to listen to. Hope the DB3 fits as great as the NX7, cause they fit me great. The BLON scares me off because of the short stems.

You mind providing your general comparison of the KPE and TFZ No 3? What are their main pros/cons and differences? Which do you prefer for what? If you couple only choose one, which and why?

Sep 29, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #44,147 of 99,726
You mind providing your general comparison of the KPE and TFZ No 3? What are their main pros/cons and differences? Which do you prefer for what? If you couple only choose one, which and why?
Gonna send you a PM

Sep 29, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #44,148 of 99,726
I've already got the Moondrop KPE and TFZ No.3 for DD'S. The BLON BL-03 seems like a great contender, but it seems like a cross of those 2 iems, which seems kinda redundant, since I already own those sets. And then, there's also the fit issue. I like iems with longer stems, which the BLON doesn't have. And since I already own and enjoy the NX7, I'm gonna spring for the DB3, to see how they play with other kinds of music I like to listen to. Hope the DB3 fits as great as the NX7, cause they fit me great. The BLON scares me off because of the short stems.

I'm waiting for my blon currently, i got a few longer nozzle eartips like the spinfits lying around so I'll try it on the blons and let u know.
There seem to be other mods some of the headfiers are doing on the threads to make the eartips fit better, but yeah it's quite a bummer to have to mod stuff OOTB for the blon.

We are all spoilt for choice this year with so many great releases that won't burn a massive hole in our wallets, can't complain! Hope u enjoy your db3!

Sep 29, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #44,149 of 99,726
Gonna send you a PM
I'm waiting for my blon currently, i got a few longer nozzle eartips like the spinfits lying around so I'll try it on the blons and let u know.
There seem to be other mods some of the headfiers are doing on the threads to make the eartips fit better, but yeah it's quite a bummer to have to mod stuff OOTB for the blon.

We are all spoilt for choice this year with so many great releases that won't burn a massive hole in our wallets, can't complain! Hope u enjoy your db3!
Thanks...and hope you enjoy your BL03 also. Honestly, it's been a struggle to decide what I've wanted to add to my collection. The BLON 03 was in my cart for almost a month. HBB/BGGAR's recent YouTube review moved it up even further... but I've got HUGE issues with the short stems. I use Newbee foams with all my iems, all which have long nozzles/stems. There have been many iems that I've considered over the past year: Tanchjim Oxygen, Ikko oh1/oh11, BLON 03, etc. Discounted all these because of potential fit issues. There's been others too from KZ that I've put aside because I didn't think they would fit me well. Not a big fan of the TOTL offerings from CA like Andromeda or Solaris either, because of their big shells. All the iems I currently own are smaller shelled, long stemmed/nozzles that give a good, deep fit for my ears. Short stems like those on the BLON BL03 don't appeal to me. Just don't think I could get the most out of them, based on my ear anatomy.

Sep 29, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #44,151 of 99,726
Ordered the Blon bl-03 and it's on the way. Regarding the cable, is it the same 2-pin connector as the Nicehck NX7? I noticed that both those connectors are square and protruding. Although, looking at the picture, it seems that the bl-03's connector is protruding quite a bit more. I reckon that the KZ 2-pin type C connectors (the ones for KZ ZSN/Pro and ZS10 Pro) won't fit? Those have a round curve around the corners. Many seem to indicate that a different cable is pretty much "mandatory".

NX7 and bl-03.png

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #44,152 of 99,726
Ordered the Blon bl-03 and it's on the way. Regarding the cable, is it the same 2-pin connector as the Nicehck NX7? I noticed that both those connectors are square and protruding. Although, looking at the picture, it seems that the bl-03's connector is protruding quite a bit more. I reckon that the KZ 2-pin type C connectors (the ones for KZ ZSN/Pro and ZS10 Pro) won't fit? Those have a round curve around the corners. Many seem to indicate that a different cable is pretty much "mandatory".

Another member here posted a picture of the BLON BL-03 with the stock NX7 cable. It does appear that the extra protrusion causes there to be a gap in between the end of the plastic shroud and the earphone housing.

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #44,153 of 99,726
Got a new toy from Penon today: the NS Audio NS3. This is the "bass enhanced" version. Good stuff so far out of the box, especially for 69 USD. Build seems solid (they're quite fetching), the cable is not trash, and it comes with a bunch of non-trash tips. Sound is pretty balanced with some midbass lift and fairly good extension... Burning in now.

What kind of connectors do they use? QDC?

Sep 30, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #44,154 of 99,726
Another member here posted a picture of the BLON BL-03 with the stock NX7 cable. It does appear that the extra protrusion causes there to be a gap in between the end of the plastic shroud and the earphone housing.

I wouldn't mind that little bit sticking out, as long the connection is still sturdy. Too bad tho, I have a couple QDC cables lying around here (from KZ ZSNs), but it looks like those won't even fit. Will have to buy a new cable.

Sep 30, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #44,155 of 99,726
The NX7 playing Bob Marley discography is a thrill and a joy. The bass is authoritative but also very resolving. DETAIL MONSTERS! Jim...you really upped your game with this one, and I hardly paid anything for it (in comparison with the JVC's and Sennheisers). Love this chi-fi era!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #44,157 of 99,726
Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #44,158 of 99,726
Many seem to indicate that a different cable is pretty much "mandatory".

I wouldn't mind that little bit sticking out, as long the connection is still sturdy. Too bad tho, I have a couple QDC cables lying around here (from KZ ZSNs), but it looks like those won't even fit. Will have to buy a new cable.

Just wait and see. I have no problem at all with the stock cable on the Blon. It curves nicely and comfortably around my ear. The shell body nestles into the concha area for a stable fit... using Symbio Peel tips. No need for deep tip insertion, in my case.

Sep 30, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #44,159 of 99,726
So this is my take on the DB3. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-db3.23966/reviews#review-22711.

Interesting how NiceHCK tuned these. They are clearly V shaped Fr but actually has good balance due to the vocal tuning they did on them. They do remind me a lot of how the Fiio FH5 are tuned. I figured out a few things to make them sound even better than they are. Sources, cables and tips play into tweaking the sound to your liking.

The crazy thing is they can only build upon these and get better over time. Don't know what we are in for in 2020 but if these newer budget offerings are any indication. I do believe this segment of the earphone game is advancing faster than any other segment in audio. Exiting times!

Sep 30, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #44,160 of 99,726
(Apologies to @FastAndClean , yours was the 1st image that I found)

Just a personal preference thing or OCD. The nakedness of the two protruding connectors bugs me; but its nothing that a little heat shrink tubing can't address.

upload_2019-9-30_9-16-54.png

In a related matter: It's a real pain, to have to always remember to put on some clothes, before taking a pic of a highly reflective shell :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back