The discovery thread!
Aug 21, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #43,486 of 99,045
Yes. I'm seriously looking at buying this thing, but I'm looking for some impressions from someone who owns it. I've got it in my Aliexpress cart now. It's even being offered with the USB-C splitter, so it looks like a nice combo, and rather inexpensive compared to something like an Audioquest Dragonfly. Only thing I'm on the fence about is: how much power will this draw from my smartphone's battery? If I have to recharge my phone after only a couple hours of use, then that might be a dealbreaker for me.
I just received my PowerDac V2 yesterday after forgetting i ordered it a month ago direction from HPToy...i almost screamed when i finally got it working after three hours of mistakenly trying to get it to drive my desktop system (no instructions in box , all lettering in chinese), but study of the HPToy site revealed pictures of how to set it up with smartphone and more operating info. The thing really is an audio miracle! i ran a balanced cable out to my MicroZotl tube headphone amp, using it as a preamp, and
the Fostex Mohoghany X00 headphones suddenly woke up with a sound i had never imagined it had in them. voices were floating in the middle of the stage, EDM sounded like i had my head inside a subwoofer, textures were sublime and
awesome,, in short, best 50$ ive ever spent hands down. one caveat: turns out running an audioquest jitter reduction filter at the end of my high quality usb cable made a big different in volume and clarity. not sure why, but it works.
anyway..go for it! asap!!!

Aug 21, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #43,487 of 99,045
here is a FR response of my very bright sounding Sabaj DA3 dac (the reason why i don't like the amazing sounding for the price NX7)

I also used to think the Sabaj DA3 was unlistenable, I still kept it though, then eventually running some experiments I understood what the issue was and how to make it sound good.

The DA3 is HIGHLY sensitivy to power and ground noise issues of whatever is powering it (computer, in my case).

I found two iFi's products really "transform" the way it sounds, they are the iDefender + iPower to inject low noise power instead of noisy USB power, also with some ground noise filtering thanks to the idefender.
The iSilencer works really well with the DA3 too.

The sound turns from glarey, harsh to detailed and extended, with highs that extend but stay "soft" and not aggressive.

Oh and also try using an USB-IF certified usb C to A cable, like an amazon basics one.

That is what worked for me. Sounds great with clean power, the DA3 probably has very marginal power filtering onboard.

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #43,488 of 99,045
Because I have yet to find an answer anywhere else: On the Ikko OH1, does anyone know which hole is the positive polarity? I'm using aftermarket cables and while they denote the positive pin with a dot the Ikko has no marking indicating which hole takes what pin.

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #43,489 of 99,045
Because I have yet to find an answer anywhere else: On the Ikko OH1, does anyone know which hole is the positive polarity? I'm using aftermarket cables and while they denote the positive pin with a dot the Ikko has no marking indicating which hole takes what pin.

I don't know offhand, but as long as you are consistent with which way you plug in the left and right cables, phase only matters when doing live work or DJ work where you hear the same sound outside the earphone (your voice, instruments, music you are playing on speakers) as you hear on the earphones, i.e. when the same sound can come into the ear from two different sources but out of phase (they will cancel each other out to an extent, much the way active noise reduction works). Otherwise, if the sound you hear from the earphones is not coming into your ear from another place at the same time, phase won't be a factor (i.e. whether the driver is pushing or pulling at any given moment won't have an impact on the overall sound).

Aug 22, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #43,493 of 99,045
BLON BL-03

STEP 1: DIDN'T BELIEF OR LETMUSICBURN
STEP 2: OPPTYED CBLE AND EARTPS IN GRBDGE...CRP
STEP 3: NEVERGVEUP AND USD OTHR CHPCABLE AND EARTPS
STEP 4: ANNOTATED GOOD SND...CPBLE EARPHONE
STEP 5: BX TOO BIG...NTHNG IN IT

RESULT: MY DRIAMS CAME TRUE. PCTURS AND RVW TO FOLLOW.

IMG_7963.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #43,494 of 99,045
First impressions please.
First remarks are here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/trn-impressions-thread.881761/page-58#post-15139952

UPDATE: I used them all afternoon listening to a Metallica Concert (Berlin 2019) at relatively high volume...great, not distorting and not fatiguing at all. My first impressions are very good, the whole package is good: haptic/feel, comfort/fit, and sound. Isolation? No idea, but Metallica left the street traffic no chance.

Pictures on my blog.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #43,495 of 99,045
The TRN V90 have arrived. Elephant for scale.

So...your cat is named "Elephant"? Kitty paws, I know when I see em! Got 3 cats myself. Would've been nice to see a full pic of your cat. Lol!

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #43,496 of 99,045
So...your cat is named "Elephant"? Kitty paws, I know when I see em! Got 3 cats myself. Would've been nice to see a full pic of your cat. Lol!
Cat is called Sybil. She is sometimes in my pants.

IMG_7656.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #43,497 of 99,045
Cat is called Sybil. She is sometimes in my pants.

Yup...I totally understand! In the attached pic, you will see a half box of beer and a half box of Bear. Sounds close enough, but really different.
20190818_152022.jpg

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #43,500 of 99,045

Users who are viewing this thread

Back