The discovery thread!
Dec 11, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #40,698 of 99,329
My apologies, I am notorious for mixing up such random number and letter arrangements. That's why I don't drive a Lexus...I better fix that.

Right, I just want my car to have that big red and blue "M" on the back:grin:

By the way I'm re-discovering the Reverend Al on the old IDUN MO:beerchug:

IDUN Mo Al.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #40,699 of 99,329
Right, I just want my car to have that big red and blue "M" on the back:grin:

By the way I'm re-discovering the Reverend Al on the old IDUN MO:beerchug:

I purchased a pair of Idun's hours back from 12/12 sales at Taobao, I managed to try them on for 15 minutes and I think they are fantastic.
My pair of DM6's are still on the way to me from AV and I will try to do a comparison, I feel that the Idun's are an upgraded Ostry KC06A.
Just enough bass when needed, natural mids with shimmering highs(might be fatiguing), they work super well with vocals.

The Idun's don't get enough hype!
The entire package is solid with nice stock cables and the fit works superb..

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #40,700 of 99,329
As to your acronyms: don't forget, many people here are old. In the HK6 case...some listeners changed their mind...can't remember the details. Or some ordered it after reading reviews and then didn't like them...

I missed the dm6 hype-train derailment [caution: I may as well have cited somebody wrong and the good dm6 is still running full steam ahead].

Imho DM6 train won't derail anytime soon. HBB created a dedicated thread for BGVP so we don't see much talk here anymore. Sadly there is the fact that most of the people who ordered DM6 still haven't recieved theirs yet, the thread is so far full of complaints.. There will be definitely load of impressions soon.

I don't know how much can be changed by tuning BA's differently, because DM6's tonality won't satisfy everyone (I agree with you Otto that FR is important aspect as we all prefer different tonality). I prefer tuning closer to Harman target, however I like my DM6 very much, mainly due to its spacious presentation and technicality.

Maybe we will see BGVP or another company release another iem with "better" tuning while keeping the technical performance, but until then DM6 will be one of the best around $150... My opinion :)

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #40,701 of 99,329
Imho DM6 train won't derail anytime soon. HBB created a dedicated thread for BGVP so we don't see much talk here anymore. Sadly there is the fact that most of the people who ordered DM6 still haven't recieved theirs yet, the thread is so far full of complaints.. There will be definitely load of impressions soon.

I don't know how much can be changed by tuning BA's differently, because DM6's tonality won't satisfy everyone (I agree with you Otto that FR is important aspect as we all prefer different tonality). I prefer tuning closer to Harman target, however I like my DM6 very much, mainly due to its spacious presentation and technicality.

Maybe we will see BGVP or another company release another iem with "better" tuning while keeping the technical performance, but until then DM6 will be one of the best around $150... My opinion :)

I feel guilty not using my other IEMs as the DM6 IEMs get all the love. Truly an amazing IEM, and exciting that Chi-Fi is moving in such a direction. Stuff is only going to get better. IMO
I’ll probably get some cables of equal value at some point to try and take them to the next level. It would be silly to put a $500 cable on them, though stranger stuff has happened around here.

Dec 12, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #40,702 of 99,329
Ok, so I'm looking for another IEM.
Toneking T88K's are great, and the sound continue to amaze me, but my ears is very small by any standard - and I can't use the T88k's without discomfort over long periods of time ( tip rolling doesn't solve the problem, the shells are too big I'm afraid )

Looking for something that can fit small ear canals, and cheaper - around the USD 200 - 250 range maybe.

Not into very cold IEM's, but I'm not a basshead either.
Clarity, seperation, good imaging, very present sub bass + mid bass, and not sibilant or sharp highs is what I'm looking for, as in a somewhat laid back IEM that still doesn't sound too muffled.

Anyone have suggestions?

Dec 12, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #40,703 of 99,329
Toneking T88K's are great, and the sound continue to amaze me, but my ears is very small by any standard - and I can't use the T88k's without discomfort over long periods of time ( tip rolling doesn't solve the problem, the shells are too big I'm afraid )

Looking for something that can fit small ear canals, and cheaper - around the USD 200 - 250 range maybe.

Clarity, seperation, good imaging, very present sub bass + mid bass, and not sibilant or sharp highs is what I'm looking for, as in a somewhat laid back IEM that still doesn't sound too muffled.

Anyone have suggestions?
kanas pro

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #40,705 of 99,329

Anyone have suggestions?

I cannot suggest the kanas Pro as I backed them out of my cart way nack when in favor of the IDUN and Toneking Nine Tails which I highly recommend as unlike the T88’s will fit great and have the sweet Toneking signature.

When one first looks at the 9 tails you think no way but they are simply one of my best fitting iem’s and sound awesome. They are in my first grab pile and really in my top 10 to listen too. I listened to Lurk brag about them for so long I gave them a shot and so glad I did now.

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #40,707 of 99,329
Once again I cannot speak for anything on the Kanas Pro since I've never seen them in person, as far as the Toneking Nine Tails here they are between the T2 and ZS6 for reference:wink:

Silver New and Gray.JPG

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #40,708 of 99,329
Well, I finally got around to clear my super fuku bag from the customs. I just unpacked it and will test the stuff out later today, but that flang DAP is the cheapest looking thing with the most craptastic build I've held in a very very long time. The DT600 doesn't look that good either, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (well, at least the DT600 coz that DAP has to be some mighty impressive performer to make me even consider using it. So far seems like 220 bucks down the drain aside from the cable and the spinfit tips

On another note, apparently this ikko oh1 is not some random fluke from an unknown company but rather a brand of Colorfly. Colorfly has also decided to release their own version called CH1, which is "kinda" better looking

FBRBR3I.jpg

3y6Br2n.jpg

iumi2yu.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #40,709 of 99,329
Well, I finally got around to clear my super fuku bag from the customs. I just unpacked it and will test the stuff out later today, but that flang DAP is the cheapest looking thing with the most craptastic build I've held in in a very very long time. The DT600 doesn't look that good either, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (well, at least the DT600 coz that DAP has to be some mighty impressive performer to make me even consider using it. So far seems like 220 bucks down the drain aside from the cable and the spinfit tips

On another note, apparently this ikko oh1 is not some random fluke from an unknown company but rather a brand of Colorfly. Colorfly has also decided to release their own version called CH1, which is "kinda" better looking

FBRBR3I.jpg

3y6Br2n.jpg

iumi2yu.jpg

THX, the CH1 will sure look nice with my C3:beerchug: To me that shape is Saxy as Hades:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Redcarmoose , I have always loved your pictures and rigs and trust your ear:wink: Now my anticipation of receiving my DM6's is just killing me:open_mouth: Makes me think @rendyG is right on DM6 not having enough review yet to derail:thinking:

Are we not all in the Discovery mode around here anyway:grin: Current rotation:

Rotation 12-12-18.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #40,710 of 99,329

Anyone have suggestions?

Rose Mini range from penon might suit but they do have reports of qc issues. That said thought about saving a bit more and going custom? Might seem expensive initially, but if you do have issues with normal iems (I have the same issue, and one reason why I have not got into it as much as I might have as there is no point)then it could save you time in the long run?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back