The discovery thread!
Dec 10, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #40,636 of 99,309
More Honda wings on the side. Now that would have been stupid. :)

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #40,637 of 99,309
Why stupid? Many could find it useful and nice to have and easily adjustable impedance. If you are using a phone or plugging in your BT cable you can make them easier to drive and get batter battery life and you can also turn the impedance up so they behave better and sound better with more powerful gear. Trying to make them more usable in more situations is not a bad thing. You might not feel you have any need for it but it isn't stupid.
IMHO. The Switch and it's placement and labeling looks really bad to me. And that to me is a poor/stupid design. Also, its not really a huge change in impedance, or efficiency; Not enough to make a difference for me.

Do Agree with you that a hidden switch that provided significant changes might make sense; but worry/expect it's probably just adding a resistor, and for me that is not adding anything to the basic earphone's quality.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #40,638 of 99,309
Why stupid? Many could find it useful and nice to have and easily adjustable impedance. If you are using a phone or plugging in your BT cable you can make them easier to drive and get batter battery life and you can also turn the impedance up so they behave better and sound better with more powerful gear. Trying to make them more usable in more situations is not a bad thing. You might not feel you have any need for it but it isn't stupid.

I understand the concern about it perhaps being too easy to press and cause some issues that way -- but I also definitely find the ability to do it fascinating for the precise scenario you cited, plugging it into a BT cable, specifically, as those, perhaps even more so than phones, tend to suffer from not enough power for understandable reasons since it would require a very bulky battery (which would be uncomfortable to wear) or else very poor battery life if they designed it to put enough power.

I'm definitely curious to read some reviews on that IEM.

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #40,639 of 99,309
IMHO. The Switch and it's placement and labeling looks really bad to me. And that to me is a poor/stupid design. Also, its not really a huge change in impedance, or efficiency; Not enough to make a difference for me.

Do Agree with you that a hidden switch that provided significant changes might make sense; but worry/expect it's probably just adding a resistor, and for me that is not adding anything to the basic earphone's quality.

Great point -- I actually would love that functionality but in a switch that is not as easy to toggle -- maybe a small, hard slider switch?

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #40,640 of 99,309
I found a useful comment from Larry Fulton on AudioBudget's facebook post,

A lot of people wonder why TRN tunes their IEMs to sound so different from each other, whereas companies like KZ tunes their IEMs quite similarly (sometimes with slight tweak). Here is why...

IM1 - tuned for details and resolution. Therefore expect more strident and sibilant sound compared to the rest of the TRN line-up (if you are treble sensitive, avoid it!). The IM1 is meant to cut into the recording like a precision surgical tool and extract every ounce of micro-details from it. An extremely V-shaped earphone with greater emphasis in the low and upper regions of the audio spectrum. Ideal for live music and stage/performance monitoring purposes.

V10 - this earphone is tuned for classical music lovers, therefore bass is not the main emphasis. If you enjoy Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, Tchaikovsky and Vivaldi, etc, even opera, V10 is your artistic companion.

V20 - tuned for jazz lovers where vocals and instruments like saxophone, trumpet, piano, bass and drums are emphasized. If you are like me who relax to the jazzy tunes of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Art Blakey, Sonny Rollins or even Kenny G, the V20 will definitely lightens and melt your soul.

V60 - tuned for bassheads and those who enjoy pop, rap, rock, heavy metal, EDM, etc, where the lows and rumble are the emphasis. For the young-at-heart or hardcore Guns and Roses, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, AC/DC, Nirvana and Eminem fans. Also great for watching movies due to the deep sub-bass.

V80 - this earphone is tuned to sound neutral and balance across all music genre like ballads, oldies, folk, country, contemporary, soft rock, acoustics, etc. If Beatles, Bob Dylan, Elvis, Garth Brooks, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Diana Krall, The Carpenters and Eagles are your cup of tea, then you will truly enjoy the V80.

I hope this “cheatsheet” will help more people understand how to choose between these TRN models and to demystify the company's product strategies.

Bottomline is TRN doesn't just sell earphones. They are selling music lifestyles.

He seems to be part of the earphone tuning process for TRN, Quote comes from the man himself

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #40,641 of 99,309
I found a useful comment from Larry Fulton on AudioBudget's facebook post,

He seems to be part of the earphone tuning process for TRN, Quote comes from the man himself

That's a great marketing post. That said, varied tunes are good, and imo, welcome. Every time I see a post complaining about a tune that varies from the Harmon curve, the word variety comes to mind and I silently applaud the brand for doing something different. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'd rather that than for everything to sound the same.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #40,642 of 99,309
No more LZ anything for me. I am sure the A6 will be interesting but I have doubts about their QC and components they use. Never had an earphone fail on me. My LZ A5 was the first.

Ds, that's how I feel about the BGVP. Their DMG just failed on me. But my LZ A5 is still going strong!

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #40,643 of 99,309
Ds, that's how I feel about the BGVP. Their DMG just failed on me. But my LZ A5 is still going strong!
Too tired to cable swap last night but my left DMG connection is a bit loose and cuts out while the right side is stiff. Oh well, the AKG are my mains anyways. Just gonna make the DMG hard to sell.

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #40,644 of 99,309
I only can say good things about LZ A4s, but it is easy to take a general look on phone's thread before purchase and don't make opinions based on one user only. Big disappointment is very understandable too.

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #40,645 of 99,309
Here my review of the good sounding and well made Hill Audio S8 earphone:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hill-audio-s8.23240/reviews#review-21274

Teaser.jpg

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #40,647 of 99,309
I don't think my AliExpress order for dm6 is going to arrive. Seems to have gone to Germany rather than the UK. Might ask for refund. Are there other iems that are as good at a similar price?

Dec 10, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #40,648 of 99,309
NiceHCK P3 looks suspiciously like the BGVP DS1
HTB1Ke0Cae6sK1RjSsrbq6xbDXXai.jpg

Vs
HTB1BbTEaXooBKNjSZFPq6xa2XXaM.jpg

2308030e-e218-43d1-a404-484f3aa09e9b.jpg

Seems to me it is more Chinese coping Chinese action.

donnie-yen-photo-open-hand-476.jpg
jlk71-PZG50VNB7XM-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-en-US-1492833420880._RI_SX940_.jpg
Yes, and like the NiceHCK Bro etc. etc. I think I found the solution to the dmg/m6 problem: None of the two have designed their earphones, they are both ODM products. Therefore, none has "lifted" anything from the other.

I was also told that the P3 and the m6 come from the same ODM factory in Guangdong.

Dec 10, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #40,649 of 99,309
I don't think my AliExpress order for dm6 is going to arrive. Seems to have gone to Germany rather than the UK. Might ask for refund. Are there other iems that are as good at a similar price?
All my 115 aliexpress orders have arrived. It took up to 165 days, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back