The discovery thread!
Nov 26, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #40,036 of 99,307
Except that they no longer ship to the US on JoyBuy. Not sure if they have it for that price anywhere else.

Massdrop had it for $450-ish a week or two ago, closest I've seen.

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #40,037 of 99,307
Hi, how are the vocals, clarity and soundstage like on your finschi? I was wondering if it's was upgrade on those departments compared to your other iems?
I'm still kinda undecided with how I feel about them. Sometimes they sound incredible, other times they can sound a bit bad. As a vocal/midrange enthusiast, I think the vocals are a mixed bag. They're still very nice and full though, don't get me wrong. While they don't sound recessed or left behind, I feel like there's something off with male vocals, while female vocals can sound a tad harsh. Granted, I listen at pretty high volumes, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. I'm also not sure if it has to do with my source or the stock cable, but there is a ton of sibilance and splashiness with cymbals. Sometimes it's so bad that I have to take them off and reach for something else. The JVC Spiral Dots only made sibilance worse; I've been using the narrow bore tips from the IT01 on them since they tame the treble the best (even better than my foams). I still have a lot of testing I'd like to do before making a verdict on the vocals, since vocals are my favorite part of music. As for clarity and soundstage, I think they have a decently wide soundstage with some pretty good clarity. Again, I need more listening and experimentation with these; it doesn't help that I keep reaching for my Tin T2 instead though.

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #40,038 of 99,307
Not really a new Discovery but I did just receive a pair of AKG N5005, purchased Open Box but unused from RazorDog for $698, day of shipping they emailed me to let me know that they found a flaw and shipped me a brand new pair instead.

Simply put...worth every single penny.

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #40,039 of 99,307
ikko OH1, two driver hybrid, one Knowles 33518 and 10mm titanium diaphragm dynamic driver, crinacle like them and that is a very rare thing

IKKO%20CH1f-700x700.jpg
ovkood45ge021.jpg

the brand is new and seems quite proactive in getting their first model off the ground. Its already up on Amazon too

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZ8MCD...K4hVs9uRd_QGKNEP4fiRyyfwWJ_DymhKyUZ_vuAjjUMmk

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #40,041 of 99,307
Not really a new Discovery but I did just receive a pair of AKG N5005, purchased Open Box but unused from RazorDog for $698, day of shipping they emailed me to let me know that they found a flaw and shipped me a brand new pair instead.

Simply put...worth every single penny.

Yes, that's a fantastic deal for the N5005, and razordog is always great to do business with. N5005 is one of the best hybrids I've ever heard.

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #40,044 of 99,307
@dweaver First things first, I think the Whizzer Kylin is better than the DM6. Kaboom! I said it. Not just a little better, but by a bit of a margin.

Comparisons between FOTM are always appreciated thank you so much!
With the delays for DM6 your post has probably just swayed me to buy the Whizzers instead, I always preferred realistic vocals that can touch the bottom of my heart :heart_eyes:

Could you just give us a comparison on the isolation on the Whizzers? I believe the DM6's isolation would be top notch as its completely sealed but I have experienced hybrid earphones with poor isolation (1more triple)

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #40,046 of 99,307
Yes, that's a fantastic deal for the N5005, and razordog is always great to do business with. N5005 is one of the best hybrids I've ever heard.
Yup, I agree, and your impressions always had me intrigued with them. Everything about the sound ticks all the boxes for me. Bass, mids/vocals, treble. Stage width, depth and layering.

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #40,047 of 99,307
so i tried the xba n3ap today. i know its an old iem but how is the iem not popular here ? to me it sounded better than the tfz king, king pro and it03 which get alot of praise in hf. anyone with n3ap wanna chime in ? is it comparable to the highly praised dm6 ?

I haven't heard any of those iems but I really enjoy the N3 - actually was just suggesting it to somoene on another thread. IMO it does a lot of things well in a non-spectacular fashion and it's in a bit of an odd niche- it's not really trying to be neutral, or super technical, but other than the bass it also doesn't have the kind of coloration that draws attention- it's sort of boring, but in a good way- it just kind of works with everything and grows on you (or at least has on me) over time. One of the few IEMs I feel comfortable recommending with only a few reservations.

Possibly the price and Sony name along with the low driver count and current hybrid driver-counting wars also make it kind of inconspicuous. With newer more exciting brands and tech novelties while everything is getting cheaper and also more expensive than ever, it's easy to slip under the radar (N3 meets my expectations for its price, even if there are cheaper things that also could) . Also I don't think it's even been officialy sold in the US and other large countries- Still, the N3 thread has a decent number of posts and most people there seem pretty happy with it - kakaku has 60+ reviews also.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #40,049 of 99,307
Anyone else have their 11/11 stuff stuck in limbo? My Anew U1 have been in processing for 2 full weeks now. At least I have the Oriolus Finschi to keep me occupied for a bit.
I ordered a number of cables, the EZAudio D4, UrbanFun Transound One and DM6 on 11/11, all have been received in the UK with the exception of the DM6. They were custom and yet to be made due to the aforementioned backlogs.

Nov 26, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #40,050 of 99,307
I ordered one item - the TinAudio T2 - on 11/11 and it still hasn’t left China.

On the other hand, the three IEM’s I ordered four days later have arrived in San Francisco on as of two days ago, 11-24.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back