The discovery thread!
Nov 10, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #39,256 of 98,010
Seriously tempted to try that new Whizzer IEM posted a couple pages back... they look so darned good and I like that's a different connector that is hopefully more reliable than MMCX.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #39,258 of 98,010
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #39,259 of 98,010
I KNOW! I have it in my cart along with the android cable and my hand is hovering over the buy button...

Last time I tried to buy from Aliexpress it failed miserably.

Is there any issue with using Visa, should I be worried I will be getting calls from my bank asking why someplace in China is using my credit card?

How does the coupon thing work. It says save $8 but when I click on it I only see $2?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #39,260 of 98,010
I've had that problem with one of my cards, another is fine. Go figure. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the card that is okay is kind of maxed out this month.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #39,261 of 98,010
I KNOW! I have it in my cart along with the android cable and my hand is hovering over the buy button...

Last time I tried to buy from Aliexpress it failed miserably.

Is there any issue with using Visa, should I be worried I will be getting calls from my bank asking why someplace in China is using my credit card?

How does the coupon thing work. It says save $8 but when I click on it I only see $2?
I always order with mastercard abroad and i have never had any problem so far.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #39,262 of 98,010
Thanks guys I will take a chance I think. If bank calls I can say its legit.

What I really want is something that sounds like my long dead Z5. What do you think, will the Whizzer fill that hole? I ask because Hawaiibadboy likes them but his reference IEM is the EX1000 and found that IEM way to sharp in the treble region for my tastes...

I bought a pair of Nighthawks and they remind me so darned much of the Z5 I am missing them again. LOVE the Nighthawks BTW they are an amazing headphone and at their discounted price they are one heck of a deal!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #39,263 of 98,010
What I really want is something that sounds like my long dead Z5. What do you think, will the Whizzer fill that hole? I ask because Hawaiibadboy likes them but his reference IEM is the EX1000 and found that IEM way to sharp in the treble region for my tastes...

I don't know about the Z5 but this being from Whizzer it should be good and great bang for the buck, I ordered one too even though I normally try to avoid hybrids. It's likely to have somewhat elevated bass though so the A15 Pro would have probably been a better choice for something similar to the EX1000 but without the hotness.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #39,264 of 98,010
the Z5 had elevated bass so I think that will one of the better points for me :). The Z5 is a hybrid with 2 BA's so these would be similar in that area. The big question is whether the Whizzer will have a similar sound stage :). Loved the Z5 because it had the most amazing 3D presentation along with a relaxed treble that still had all of the detail.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #39,265 of 98,010
I knew I should have avoided this thread around now... I have that Whizzer, a few cables in my cart, and considering one of the Nicehck multidriver iems that dsnuts was so into a while back. Been laying low for a while, overdosed on Audiophilia, picked a BAD TIME to check in...

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #39,266 of 98,010
So, what's the latest and greatest here these days?

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #39,268 of 98,010
So, what's the latest and greatest here these days?

bgvp dm6 is the big the flavour of the month. Besides that, the whizzler he 03 seems promissing, yinyioo qt8 for 200$ or nicehck for 245$

Tehnz p4 pro also have had praise and bgvp dmg to.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #39,269 of 98,010
bgvp dm6 is the big the flavour of the month. Besides that, the whizzler he 03 seems promissing, yinyioo qt8 for 200$ or nicehck for 245$

Tehnz p4 pro also have had praise and bgvp dmg to.
The dm6 needs a few more reviews and a frequency response curve as well as an impedance profile before I consider forking out $200.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #39,270 of 98,010
I have to defend @B9Scrambler, he is very thorough in his reviews and appears to give each earphone plenty of playtime - and that over and over again. If 20 hours are not enough to characterize an earphone, then it is the earphone's fault. If the planar drivers really need 50 hours to be loosened up [says who?], they should be factory broken in (note: there is not such a thing as a "burn-in"). Did you document changes in frequency response through measurements or is your claim from memory - the second would be extremely unreliable.

Sennheiser explicitly claim that their stuff sounds great ootb. Mr. Grado thinks all mechanical items (membranes) may benefit from some break-in (3 min?), and innerfidelity measured break-in: no difference found.

I have "broken in" my AKG-K550 in for 350 hours as demanded by a reviewer. Also no difference found. None! Zip! Zero!

As to break-in: how do the "changing" drivers know what the human ear likes? If break-in really has an audible effect, it should be perceived as negative in as many cases as it is perceived positive. Loosened-up drivers? I hope the bass
doesn't become boomy :).

In my books "burn-in" is a faith-based procedure to eliminate disappointment on a first listening and to create an
expectation bias for the "optimistic" listener.

In summary, while there is
empirical evidence of B9's quality of reviewing, there is also empirical evidence that "burn-in" is just a lame excuse.
I don't wanna have a conversation about the CL2 on this thread.
If you wanna move it to other one, I will be happy to oblige. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back