The discovery thread!
Dec 26, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #34,712 of 99,662
Hope everyone had a good Holiday/ Christmas. I am getting my silver coated copper cable for the RT-1 so that should be interesting. I have to admit I am getting more fond of the smooth warm sound of the RT-1. It don't resolve as much as my IT01 but is enjoyable none the less. I am hoping the SPC balanced cable I ordered fits the 2 pins correct. Fingers crossed.

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #34,713 of 99,662
New cables

IMG_20171226_101505.jpg

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #34,714 of 99,662
Hope everyone had a good Holiday/ Christmas. I am getting my silver coated copper cable for the RT-1 so that should be interesting. I have to admit I am getting more fond of the smooth warm sound of the RT-1. It don't resolve as much as my IT01 but is enjoyable none the less. I am hoping the SPC balanced cable I ordered fits the 2 pins correct. Fingers crossed.

How would you say the IT01 compare to the DM5?

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #34,715 of 99,662
Definitely an upgrade in stage for one. Better more cohesive sound from treble to bass. More detailed. I will have to A/B but I think the treble is more cleaner vs the DM5. Very nice layerd sound actually. It has the perfect balance of musicality and technicality. Love the bass on the IT01. After getting the IT01 I am not curious one bit on anything else in the price range.

They are tuned a bit like the Excobox finder X1 but more meaty mids a bit less treble energy and with even better texture in the subs. All with even a wider stage. Extension is ideal from treble to bass. No ear fatigue either which the Finder X1 can be at times.

From memory these beat the poo out of my old EX600 and the GR07s. Easily. I only wished those 2 earphones sounded the same as the IT01. I would have kept them.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #34,716 of 99,662
OK, been using the WI1000X for a couple days now and starting really like them. Signature wise they are not as big sounding as the Z5 but this means they are actually a bit more balanced sounding. The Z5 had that big sound but it actually made it occasionally sound off or over cooked in the bass and the mids always seemed a bit to husky for female singers like Diana Krall or Patricia Barber. Based off memory I would say they sound a lot like the MDR-7550 which is one IEM I wish I never sold to upgrade to the MDR-EX1000. It has a similar relaxed treble that might be more in between the 7550 and EX1000 which is right where I like my treble. But the bass still goes deep enough that my most bass oriented songs sound very full and complete.

The Aptx HD also allows the closest sound to a wired device I have heard.

So what is surprising me the most? I really like all 3 states ANC, non ANC, and Ambient mode. All 3 have the exact same signature! Ambient mode is great at home where it is better to hear my wife calling my name! I suspect it will be on when in the office too... The thing is it can be set to enhance talking so I can here when someone is talking to me. But aside from enhancing voices I get isolation from other sounds so I can still enjoy my music. If I am in a quiet environment I can then turn off both ANC and Ambient mode and get the best possible music quality. Or when in noisy environments like transit I can add in the ANC for a more private experience.

I have not had time to play with the wired connection so will have to get back on how well it works.

I have taken a couple calls and they work nicely. I actually like the vibrate feature for incoming calls and may turn off the ringer on my phone saving me embarrassment in meetings.

The neck ring simply disappears when wearing these. I wear them literally all day and forget they are there.

So one negative. The cable gets pretty stiff outside in the cold so pulls on my ears which is distracting. But there is enough cable I can wear them over ear so will try that next time I am outside.

While on the expensive side so far I have ZERO regrets.

Awesome! Thanks for those impressions. I'm glad you are enjoying them :)

Dec 26, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #34,717 of 99,662
Definitely an upgrade in stage for one. Better more cohesive sound from treble to bass. More detailed. I will have to A/B but I think the treble is more cleaner vs the DM5. Very nice layerd sound actually. It has the perfect balance of musicality and technicality. Love the bass on the IT01. After getting the IT01 I am not curious one bit on anything else in the price range.

They are tuned a bit like the Excobox finder X1 but more meaty mids a bit less treble energy and with even better texture in the subs. All with even a wider stage. Extension is ideal from treble to bass. No ear fatigue either which the Finder X1 can be at times.

From memory these beat the poo out of my old EX600 and the GR07s. Easily. I only wished those 2 earphones sounded the same as the IT01. I would have kept them.

Did you manage to try ch9t?

Dec 26, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #34,718 of 99,662
Did my head-fi friend ever get the iSine20 yet? I forget who it was (want to say doctorjazz but might be wrong). Regardless, did you get it and how do you like it?

Dec 26, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #34,719 of 99,662

In the IT01 thread a guy is comparing them directly to the GR07 BE and seems to give the GR07 the edge.

I'm intrigued though - the Sony 7550 has re-piqued my interest in single dynamics.

Dec 26, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #34,720 of 99,662
I think if Dsnuts still had the EX600 and his current gear and tips to try them with he wouldn't say the IT01 beat the poo out of them :)

Dec 26, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #34,721 of 99,662
Don't know Jant. I liked the EX600 for it's time but they are about as boring as it gets to my ears in sound. Dull and by the book neutral to the point where I hated them. Maybe if I had them again I would have loved to try them in balanced mode but for me I have moved on a long time ago. The best Sony I have are what I own which is my Z5 and those are not going anywhere in my collection. As for the Gr07 I don't know about the BE version but the stock GR07 most weakest point to me was the mids. The mids was lifeless to me. No meat in them. Everything sounded flat 2D and uninspired, vocals sound like they are on the same sound plane as the instruments to my ears and I tried to like them as well. In the end I had to sell them and move on.

IT01 is a game changer. It has everything I look for in a great sounding earphone and all for $100.

Dec 26, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #34,722 of 99,662
Not the EX600 I had. Romantic and sweet sounding, big and airy with that sony black background. Not neutral and far from the Vsonic dryer, not nearly as sweet, and neutral sound that was indeed more 2D lacking in depth vs. the Sony. Unless you didn't fit them right and got that sound. I remember the EX600 fondly except that they were not the easiest to get the good seal and my right side connector was always unscrewing itself.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #34,723 of 99,662
Don't know. My pair was warm smooth a bit too smooth and it had great stage but don't know what about that sound that didn't jive with me. It was a bit boring to me for some reason. Could have been my sources at the time but I had it for a good year before I sold it off. I am onto better and to my ears the IT01 is better.

So I got this cable to use with my RT-1
HTB17shEhamgSKJjSsphq6Ay1VXau.jpg

Fit is perfect and it does bring up the resolution of the RT-1 a touch. I am gonna let the cable get acclimated to the RT-1 but thus far this is a clear upgrade for the RT-1. Sounds great in balanced.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #34,725 of 99,662
So the other cable I got are for my Rhythmos. Guys that eventually took a chance on them are in for a little surprise. The sound out of the Rhythmos in balanced is CRAZY! No hype just saying. This is the other cable I got today.

HTB1gz7_f22H8KJjy1zkq6xr7pXab.jpg

So both these cables were from the recent 12/12 sales. While prices were not as good as 11/11. It was good enough. The previous SPC 2 pin cable was bought for $21 and this one here was a bit more expensive at $48 but was worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back