The discovery thread!
Jun 6, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #33,302 of 99,328
Look forward to your take on them Dr. Blue.

In a little update. I have been burning the good sample I got. Since they were supposed to be the "Good" sample I didn't think much to burn in this newer sample. To my surprise the sound has tightened up a touch more than when I did my review of them. Basically the sound has gotten even better. Tighter more accurate bass and now has a superb balance to the sound yet still retains excellent sub bass extension.

They have been my daily drivers well after my write up and I am very impressed by them and their ability to scale to more power. Sounds superb on the pono by the way.

I do recommend a solid burn in cycle for the EDCs. I don't recall any micro driver iems that didn't benefit in one way or another. I am certain these are going to be well received by the massdrop and headfi community. I eagerly await what you all think about them once released.

A bit of a prediction but I think these will end up being Massdrops best selling iems.

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #33,304 of 99,328
very nice DS! thank you for the update! i just returned from an insane weekend
running my own festival at our desert ranch, and am ready for some quiet
time with headphones!!! btw, i highly recommend psychedelic guitars
AJJA s new album, Spira Mirabelis. its incredible, well recorded and
kosmic as it gets! streaming on Tidal and probably other sources, available
from Psyshop.....

Jun 7, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #33,305 of 99,328
So, it seems we have some new MMCX cables from Zero Audio...
E.jpg

http://www.zeroaudio.jp/product_ZAD.html ...that look pretty good and seem very easy to service with screw in terminals.
B.jpg

Might just signal that future upper ZA models will be using MMCX as well :)

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #33,306 of 99,328
Ben Zwickel from Mojo Audio just dropped off his Illuminati Power supply v2 for me to review.
hooked it up to the headphone desk, running Massdrop Fostex X00 Mahogany phones through
my Mojo upgraded MicroZotl2 tube preamp/headphone amp,
his Mystique v 1 dac (he's up to v3 now actually) and through usb out running King Rex battery
powered converter into the DAC and feeding Tidal. Ajja's new album Spiral Mirabelis exploded
out the headphones like a sound tsunami, best bass I've heard on these phones, with liquid
guitar, massive soundstage and thick lush mids. OMG, it could be an ultimate upgrade.
and its not even warm yet. in 24 hours i may be drooling on it.......stay tuned. I had the version
1 and wrote a review of it on the MicroZotl2 thread, but this is a new level of magic power...
see MojoAudio.com for more information on the Illuminati v2, which is actually smaller than
the first edition....ear boggling...

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #33,307 of 99,328
Aha that sounds your enjoying a new level of sound sensations there Dr blue. That amp is a bit rich for me. Perfectly happy using the IDSD BL.. I suppose ignorance is bliss. Happy listening Dr blue.

Jun 10, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #33,309 of 99,328
Aha that sounds your enjoying a new level of sound sensations there Dr blue. That amp is a bit rich for me. Perfectly happy using the IDSD BL.. I suppose ignorance is bliss. Happy listening Dr blue.

Im sure the IDSD BL is wonderful! enjoy the combo in your listening festivities DS!
im not able to afford the new Illuminati V2 powering my old (15 year old original MicroZotl) either. its 1K retail for a power supply to feed the Zotl. but it definitely
is a discovery in what is possible for the sound of the X00 headphones and streaming Tidal. i just played the new Mono Beatles Sgt Peppers..remaster for a new
audio friend and he started to cry listening to "A Little Help from my Friends" saying he felt he was in the studio listening to the Beates playing for him
with transparent robust emotional communication, details he never heard before, and it was like they had been reborn. now thats high fidelity!

Jun 10, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #33,310 of 99,328
HS1551-1051.jpg

New Acoustune model claiming one of the best drivers in the world :)

http://acoustune.s702.sureserver.com/products/#HS1501-HS1551

Myrinx Diaphragm

myrinx01.jpg
myrinx02.jpg
myrinx03.jpg
myrinx04.jpg

Why a single dynamic?
… The Price tag, as well as the number of driver units, cannot guarantee sound quality. Having one of the best dynamic drivers in the world, what else is necessary? We do not want networking as a source of unnecessary sound, nor do we want mutual acoustic interference by each driver unit. We organize the most simple production process at the most simple driver design.

What are the benefits of Myrinx?
… Its long-term stability and the high performance of the vibrating membrane, which comes from medical grade materials. It creates no clouded sound and no low resolution sound known as conventional dynamic driver aspect, and it enhances wider frequency response and rich sound field as a dynamic driver. In addition, Myrinx has no aging process and brings flexibility to a wide range of tuning options.

100% Metal Body Shell

metalshell01.jpg
metalshell02.jpg
metalshell03.jpg
metalshell04.jpg

Best solution of material for chamber is metal against resonance. Aluminum, brass, stainless steel, they all are processed by computerized machine in order to optimize their dimensions for best acoustic performance.

Pure Audio Grade Cable

AudioGradeCable01.jpg
AudioGradeCable02.jpg
AudioGradeCable03.jpg

Teamed up with Japan-based audio cable expertise.
Thanks for QT wiring technology that can deliver low noise and fine tuned sound on all frequency range, by fine pitch multi braided OFC cables.

Engineered Audio Connector

connector03.jpg
connector02.jpg
connector01.jpg

All audio components adopted in Acoustune earphones are engineered by Nippon DICS (NDICS), one of high-end professional audio components manufacturers in Japan.
NDICS is recently known as design and development of 4.4 mm balanced connector system Pentaconn in new industry standard JEITA RC-8141C and Pentaconn has been adopted in Sony Walkman Signature Series NW-WM1Z/WM1A and other major cable application suppliers in the world.

2_000000138015.jpg

Price is about $400 to $450 depending on model. 1501 is aluminum for both chambers and the pricier 1551 has brass for the second inner chamber.

Model

HS1551 CU
Transducer : Φ10mm Single Dynamic Driver
Impedance : 32Ω
Sound Pressure Level : 110dB/mW
Frequency Range : 10Hz~25KHz
Cable : MMCX Re-cable, L=1.2m (4-core)
Plug : Φ3.5mm plug (gold plated), L-type
Shell : Chamber – 100% Brass CNC milling, Housing – 100% aluminum CNC milling
Color : Grand Blue & Silver / Burgundy & Silver
Accessories : Earphone, Cable, Ear-tips (4 types)*, Earphone Case, Cable Clip & Tie, Warranty, Safety Instruction
* Ear-tips: AET02 (F), AET06 (M+), AET07 (S/M/L), AET08 (S/M/L)

Seems to be even more colors as well..
Czskl9VUAAARFPW.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #33,312 of 99,328
Cayin N3, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #33,313 of 99,328
And the excellent loaner iFi Micro iTube2:

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #33,314 of 99,328
A bit of update on the EDCs. Guys at Massdrop decided to go with a .77 2 pin connector instead of .75 which is what was standard on the HEM shells

What does this mean? There seems to be much more aftermarket cables that use the .77 2 pin. Get your silver balanced cables ready!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back