The discovery thread!
Jul 19, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #32,296 of 99,692
I'd posted this in the Earphones and In-Ear Monitors forum but I think it would be a better fit here. Crosspost follows.
-----

My original pair of FLC8S had a defect that caused me to return them. Instead of being smart and just exchanging them I jumped on the ZhiYin QT5 hype train, which derailed immediately after I'd pulled the plug and bought them from AliExpress. I returned them to HCK for a refund but I can't get one since buyer protection expired . . . for reasons, I guess. Now I'm stuck with store credit at a seller whose products I am unfamiliar with and I'm scared of getting burned again.

I've been told the MusicMaker Shockwave III is fantastic and that's in my price range ($260-ish); however, it's got only two reviews here and one on Golden-Ear—the site most responsible for inspiring me to buy the QT5, which sucked. Is the Shockwave III worth buying despite its lack of reviews, or are there other reputable candidates? I really need some pointers here. Please don't let me buy blindly!

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out.

JimNiceHCK has specifically suggested the following IEMs for direct trades (and I know nothing about any of them):

SIMGOT EM-700
Rose Mojito 3D
TFZ Series 3
DZ7
-----

There may be other options available to me, as well. Those were just specific suggestions and I'm not sure yet whether JimNiceHCK would let me have the DZ7s straight across the board, given the cost difference. Since he'd originally told me he'd give me a refund but I ended up locked out, it's possible that he would just to keep my business. Anyway, I could really use some good advice right now. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #32,297 of 99,692
  I'd posted this in the Earphones and In-Ear Monitors forum but I think it would be a better fit here. Crosspost follows.
-----

My original pair of FLC8S had a defect that caused me to return them. Instead of being smart and just exchanging them I jumped on the ZhiYin QT5 hype train, which derailed immediately after I'd pulled the plug and bought them from AliExpress. I returned them to HCK for a refund but I can't get one since buyer protection expired . . . for reasons, I guess. Now I'm stuck with store credit at a seller whose products I am unfamiliar with and I'm scared of getting burned again.

I've been told the MusicMaker Shockwave III is fantastic and that's in my price range ($260-ish); however, it's got only two reviews here and one on Golden-Ear—the site most responsible for inspiring me to buy the QT5, which sucked. Is the Shockwave III worth buying despite its lack of reviews, or are there other reputable candidates? I really need some pointers here. Please don't let me buy blindly!

JimNiceHCK has specifically suggested the following IEMs for direct trades (and I know nothing about any of them):

SIMGOT EM-700
Rose Mojito 3D
TFZ Series 3
DZ7
-----

There may be other options available to me, as well. Those were just specific suggestions and I'm not sure yet whether JimNiceHCK would let me have the DZ7s straight across the board, given the cost difference. Since he'd originally told me he'd give me a refund but I ended up locked out, it's possible that he would just to keep my business. Anyway, I could really use some good advice right now. 

I would say go for the SW3 or pay the extra and go for the DZ7. I liked the SW3, but the treble can be a bit much if you're treble sensitive like I am. There still doesn't seem to be measurements on it either, which would be helpful.

Based on Eric's initial impressions, the DZ7 sounds better than what the SW3 was (to me) and might be worth the extra $.

The Simgot, TFZ 3 and Rose are on a lower tier than the SW3 and DZ7.

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #32,298 of 99,692
  I would say go for the SW3 or pay the extra and go for the DZ7. I liked the SW3, but the treble can be a bit much if you're treble sensitive like I am. There still doesn't seem to be measurements on it either, which would be helpful.

Based on Eric's initial impressions, the DZ7 sounds better than what the SW3 was (to me) and might be worth the extra $.

The Simgot, TFZ 3 and Rose are on a lower tier than the SW3 and DZ7.

Thanks for the advice, bhazard.

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #32,299 of 99,692
-----

SIMGOT EM-700
Rose Mojito 3D
TFZ Series 3
DZ7
-----

Direct trade for the Simgot, which currently can be had for $69.99 on Massdrop? Direct trade to DZ7 sounds like a way better deal, if he really means "direct trade".. Only one person who has it yet though..

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #32,300 of 99,692
  Direct trade for the Simgot, which currently can be had for $69.99 on Massdrop? Direct trade to DZ7 sounds like a way better deal, if he really means "direct trade".. Only one person who has it yet though..

I'm going to ask him two questions and see how he replies before I make a final decision:

1) Is the DZ7 actually being offered as a straight-up trade, given my circumstances?

2) If not, may I select multiple items that collectively add up to the total I'd spent on the QT5s?

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #32,301 of 99,692
-----

SIMGOT EM-700
Rose Mojito 3D
TFZ Series 3
DZ7
-----

I have the TFZ 3 and had the shockwave III for a few weeks and they play on completely different ends of the spectrum and levels frankly speaking. I thought the shockwave III was good but the treble wasn't to my taste as I felt it had a bit if an artificial or metallic feel to it at times, sounding a bit thin. But its a really good headphone otherwise, but if you are spending that much you shouldn't have to make compromises. 

And speaking of rose earphones, take this with a grain of salt, but I haven't been hearing too many hot things about their QC in terms of consistency and durability so I would also take that into consideration :)

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #32,302 of 99,692
There is a dedicated SW3 thread. Reviews are scarce bc they are expensive and a Chinese IEM but many have them or have heard them

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #32,303 of 99,692

I have the TFZ 3 and had the shockwave III for a few weeks and they play on completely different ends of the spectrum and levels frankly speaking. I thought the shockwave III was good but the treble wasn't to my taste as I felt it had a bit if an artificial or metallic feel to it at times, sounding a bit thin. But its a really good headphone otherwise, but if you are spending that much you shouldn't have to make compromises.

I liked the SW3, but the treble can be a bit much if you're treble sensitive like I am. There still doesn't seem to be measurements on it either, which would be helpful.

Based on what the two of you are saying I might skip the SWIII, as I am treble sensitive and I hate sibilance. Even a little bit of it irritates me; god forbid it should be exaggerated.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Jim will trade me a pair of DZ7 because at this rate I have no screwing clue what I'd buy with store credit there (and that's what it will take to keep my business in the future). Ugh!

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #32,304 of 99,692

Based on what the two of you are saying I might skip the SWIII, as I am treble sensitive and I hate sibilance. Even a little bit of it irritates me; god forbid it should be exaggerated.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Jim will trade me a pair of DZ7 because at this rate I have no screwing clue what I'd buy with store credit there (and that's what it will take to keep my business in the future). Ugh!

I wouldn't say they are sibilant but they are relatively strident at times, and I don't know how sensitive you are to treble so YMMV as always. I wrote more about it in my A3 review, but I felt it was a bit expensive considering that it came with no replaceable cable and unfortified cable strain reliefs. Its a good chunk of change so at this level I would be more critical of these things when looking at possible options.

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #32,307 of 99,692
Well, SWIII it is. Jim wouldn't trade the DZ7 for the QT5s; which, on one hand, sounds perfectly fair. But under the specific circumstances I'm in, if I were him I would have extended that olive branch to my customer. After all, I've already lost $80 in unrecoverable shipping costs for an IEM he sold me, which I hated. But, whatever. Unless these new IEMs absolutely blow my mind clear out of my ass, I just won't be shopping for gear on Ali any more.

Here's to crossing my fingers . . .

EDIT: I just realized I have what appears to be a Shure MMCX cable laying around that is incompatible with all of my IEMs. It's been so long since I used this thing that I have no idea what they fit or where they came from. Are all MMCX cables for IEMs universally compatible, or should I order the SWIIIs without an MMCX interface? 

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #32,308 of 99,692
I'm not 100% sure but I think your cable should fit the sw3 with mmcx connections. So if you want the option to use that cable and possibly other ones get the mmcx version. And that cable should fit all other iems with an mmcx connection.

I personally just ordered the sw3 without the mmcx connectors. After reading through the thread and talking to the seller I got the impression that the mmcx version was more likely to have issues. And if I am paying that much I want an iem where there is no chance of a loose connection. 

Of course just my opinion and ymmv

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #32,309 of 99,692
Have any of you had any experience with the Lasmex L-85? It looks like a reinvented X1, but there is no word on sound impressions anywhere.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lasmex-l-85-headphones

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #32,310 of 99,692
Have any of you had any experience with the Lasmex L-85? It looks like a reinvented X1, but there is no word on sound impressions anywhere.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lasmex-l-85-headphones

Sometimes if the interest is strong, it takes just one brave person to make the purchase and share their opinion. It's how just about everyone's previously unknown sets have become favorites (or hated). It's not always worth the risk, but sometimes the payoff is exceptional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back