The discovery thread!
Jun 13, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #10,711 of 99,759
Quote:
Update on the CKS77X.  Bass has tightened up and the midrange and treble has zero fatigue already.  Midrange and Treble is fantastic.  Stage is still super deep.  Bass is still monstrous though but I love it for some reason.  I think these make the XB90EX, FXZ200 and any other bass phone I've heard recently not as bassy.  These are the true subwoofers with some mid-bass to boot.  Fun as hell to listen to bass driven tunes.  Instrument separation gets a bit hidden by the bass but still manages quite well for such a crazy bass earphone.  These things are insane.  

hoho say what?!!!
popcorn.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #10,713 of 99,759
Quote:

I hadn't really read about the VC02's until just now. It's hard to ignore a 10 value rating from |joker|, that's for sure! So yeah, someone bring on the comparison to the Tenores! Or the VSD1's for that matter.

I was recommended the VC02 by the nice gentleman from Lendmeyourears after he found out that I have the gr07be, gr06 and gr02be, he said it would be something different from all the Vsonics I have.

And I'm glad I took his recommendation, these VC02 are unique and I agree with ljokerl's review of them, an iem that focuses on the mids and highs with a recessed low end, completely opporsite of what I'm used to.

Heard the VSD1 is closer to the gr07bes.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #10,714 of 99,759
Quote:
Hey ghost why don't you start the hype train for us here at the discovery thread with those SZs, the honor is all yours.
biggrin.gif

Can it be....???
eek.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667596/if-you-suffer-mental-health-problems-and-narrow-sound-stage

That 3rd comment LMAO. Well it is not THAT surprising since you're getting these from Jpn and you know how crazy those peps are regarding stuff like this. haha

Ya' trolling me ?      ...at $370 a pop, I think I'll pass that honor to our honourary leader Dsnut or Danny, If they says it's that good, then I'll follow as a dutiful soldier from the legions of the Discovery thread !  
wink.gif

Yes, the Japanese are funny and weird with curio like that aren't they ?

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #10,715 of 99,759
Quote:

Ya' trolling me ?      ...at $370 a pop, I think I'll pass that honor to our honourary leader Dsnut or Danny, If they says it's that good, then I'll follow as a dutiful soldier from the legions of the Discovery thread !  
wink.gif

Yes, the Japanese are funny and weird with curio like that aren't they ?

Nah, i ain't trollin' ya'. GO GET DEM CORECOOLS ASAP!!! THEY WILL BLOW YOUR MIND,......... WITH MY MOD THAT IS. hoho

My FXZ200s are done cuz of those corecools. LMAO, Mochill was right that they were special and it even surprised me how special they were.
triportsad.gif
So i'll give credit where credit is due, mochill my man you were right about this one as well, but maybe even you haven't fully understood/ heard the full potential of Chinese Cheapos/CoreCools/CCs.

... you know the routine by now.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #10,719 of 99,759
Jun 13, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #10,722 of 99,759
How am I supposed to navigate the Japanese pages lol?

You learn Japanese... :rolleyes:

Or use Google Chrome and it translates for you automatically. :wink:

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #10,724 of 99,759
Not really a discovery, but I guess it is a discovery to me. Sort of the opposite, in fact, going out of production. Sinnce "bang for the buck" is a criteria for some of the discovery, I thought this might interest some folks. I did just get the Audeo PFE 132 for $100 (122's are $80 and the same iem's without the accessories), need to enter code DEALZMODO at Earphone solutions for $100 off on these...Joker loved them, just got them yesterday, really detailed, nice soundstage, for $80-100 very nice buy. The only issue is that they are being discontinued, stocked up on some gray filters, I'd expect them to still be waranteed as Phonak is mostly a hearing aid manufacturer, and will hopefully still be around to honor it.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #10,725 of 99,759
Put 100 hours of burn in on the VSD1. Tonight I decided to spend some time tip rolling and comparing it to the CKN70s. 
Truth be told, I really just wanted to play with/test the Fiio HS2. 

Tips rolled: 
Stock silicone & foam, Comply p-series, Sony hybrid, Auvio, cheap tri-level tips from amazon. 
Best tip for SQ: Tri-level tips off amazon (more on this later). - also least comfortable.
Most comfortable: Sony Hybrids

I spent about 4 hours doing tests/listening. I'll keep my findings simple. Won't be commenting on every aspect. Here is what I found:

VSD1:
Pros:
High: Good sparkle/shimmer. Good presence. Not particularly sibilant.

Mids: Laid back (if you like that). 

Bass: Punches with authority, more so than the CKN70. Great for those bassy tracks when you want to feel the bass.

Cons:
High: Has a peak at 4k. Less pronounced than the CKN70. Slightly metallic. 

Mid: Sounds recessed in comparison to the forward CKN70s mids, tips and EQ of mid-bass(see BASS) help to normalize. Won't give you that 'haunted' feeling from great vocal tracks.

Bass: Mid/Upper-bass at ~110Hz bleeds into the mids. EQ a reduction of 2-3dB @ 110Hz really opens up the mids.
Suffers from harmonic distortion ~70Hz. Goes just slightly lower than the CKN70, but not noticeable in music, only during sub frequency tests. 
Can sound bloated depending on the track.

Tip changes: I'm only going to mention the ones that provided noticeable changes.

Tri-level tips from Amazon: These are my least favorite tips in all my collection, but I tried them for the hell of it and OMGWTF...seriously?
These have a very deep insertion. So much so, that I have to make sure I don't put them in too far and damage my eardrum. Leaves the VSD1 stick far out of my ear.
These tamed the bloated bass, brought the mids to meet the lows/highs. Most interesting though, removed most of the 4k peak and 90% of the sibilance on tracks that are naturally sibilant.
Specifically Dashboard Confessional - Screaming Infidelities (live). That track is just stupid sibilant and some how these tips annihilated those negatives.
***Honestly I'm still blown away by the changes, enough to make me want to sell off my CKN70s, except the comfort of those tips is the worst, so it's a no go.
If only the Tri-flanged tips were more comfortable for me, it would be a no brainer. Unfortunately, it just feels too awkward/uncomfortable for me

Sony Hybrid: I only mention these because I find them the most comfortable with these. 

Foam tips: Not very comfortable, negligible sound differences. 

Wide-boar tips: Auvio ( & others not mentioned) - Least pleasant SQ. I'd avoid them if possible. 

Conclusion: I found these enjoyable for bass heavy music. Less fatiguing than the CKN70s, but also less engaging for rock, vocals, or detailed tracks where you want good separation. These greatly benefit from a little EQ. I suggest a 2-3dB @ ~110Hz & ~4k Hz. 

--------------------------------------

Edit: Almost forgot, the HS2 was perfect. So easy to work with and make A/Bing a lot easier and more accurate IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back