The discovery thread!
Dec 25, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #76 of 99,335

Quote:
Just subscribing.

Although out of curiosity, which would be better for sub bass and clarity (high end sparkle)... I want deep sub bass but I also don't want it to be too muddy.
Which of the two would you recommend for that Dsnuts?

Cheers.

The Isurus is more in line with a higher end sound. They have a wider stage, the clarity and detail is exceptional on the Isurus. It is a brighter more analytical sound signature.  The SHE3580 is a very smooth listen but you want sparkle  AT is known to have that. As for bass dynamics. Both earphones are great in this department I didn't find either of them to have anything muddy at all. The bass on the isurus is a bit more tighter and complete over the She3580. But the SHE3580 is very satisfactory even for guys that like bass heavy iems. I have grown to hate muddiness in bass. That SHE9550 or even the MEElectronics CC51 which is supposed to be clear.. Not the bass..

Quote:
Dsnuts, I think the TT are using the CKM77's driver. The CKM77 have a 13mm driver like the TT and have the same sound sig as the CKM99 (which you say the TT sound just like).

You are right in that it could be the CKM77 as well. It is using one of the 2 as the Isurus is right in the middle but since these use Aluminum housing just like the Isurus these might be more closer to the sound of the Isurus.  I think all these have similar sound signatures and marginal improvement in sounds over material and sound tweeks but once you guys get your Isurus read the many reviews on the CKM99.. Especially Jokers..You never know the Isurus could be a hybrid of the 2 that AT developed just for Thermaltake. Who knows. The only real way to know if someone cracked open the housing and took a look at the drivers themselves. I do know that they are AT drivers I am certain of it.

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #77 of 99,335
I just tested the Philips SHE3580 with my HM801 + GAME card.

Out of my other phones, the only one that comes close to having the impactful bass that the Philips SHE3580s have are the UM3x. But that is a clean, punchy bass.

The Philips SHE3580 hits you with layer after layer of deep, velvety bass. The lows are deep and punchy (but because the UM3x is so clean that seems slightly punchier), but then there are layers of sub and mid bass that envelop the sound. Joe was right- that is exactly what was causing the 'congestion'. I swapped out the tips with my Sony Hybrids, and suddenly I was hearing detail in this bass that was adding layers of enjoyment to this music. The 'congestion' is entirely gone.

Now, of course, the mids and the highs are nothing compared to all the other phones I have. But as luck would have it, I was looking for a pair of phones to do my clubbing music justice (I just met a DJ friend who gave me all 10GB of his entire hip hop collection). Among all my phones, it isn't even close. The musicality and rhythmic bass I get out of these babies are what I want for such music.

I suspect they're going to be my first choice for this genre for a while.

Thanks guys.

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #78 of 99,335
Your right. I find the SHE3580 does indeed do Hiphop justice. I listen to several bass heavy albums using them and came out smiling. Even for trance and EDM. Very satisfactory. I think the MP8320 still does trance a bit better but not by much. Once you guys get these iems. Do try other tips..It is an unwritten rule but other tips just might do the trick to get even better sound for sure.

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #79 of 99,335
What is the difference between the SHE3580 and SHE3680 more than just frequency response?

Specs on SHE3680

Frequency response: 10 - 23 500 Hz
    Impedance: 16 ohm
    Maximum power input: 50 mW
    Sensitivity: 102 dB

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #80 of 99,335
Dec 25, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #81 of 99,335

Quote:
What is the difference between the SHE3580 and SHE3680 more than just frequency response?

Specs on SHE3680

Frequency response: 10 - 23 500 Hz
    Impedance: 16 ohm
    Maximum power input: 50 mW
    Sensitivity: 102 dB

I have the 3680, they were ok for $20 but the bass extension is disappointing.

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #83 of 99,335
So does the thermaltake come with a single quad-segmented plug that does both headphones and mic (like what phones take) or a stereo plug and a separate mic plug (like what PCs take)?  Shouldn't it only work for either one or the other...?
blink.gif
Unless it comes in one form and has an adapter for the other form...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 25, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #84 of 99,335

Quote:
I just tested the Philips SHE3580 with my HM801 + GAME card.

Out of my other phones, the only one that comes close to having the impactful bass that the Philips SHE3580s have are the UM3x. But that is a clean, punchy bass.

The Philips SHE3580 hits you with layer after layer of deep, velvety bass. The lows are deep and punchy (but because the UM3x is so clean that seems slightly punchier), but then there are layers of sub and mid bass that envelop the sound. Joe was right- that is exactly what was causing the 'congestion'. I swapped out the tips with my Sony Hybrids, and suddenly I was hearing detail in this bass that was adding layers of enjoyment to this music. The 'congestion' is entirely gone.

Now, of course, the mids and the highs are nothing compared to all the other phones I have. But as luck would have it, I was looking for a pair of phones to do my clubbing music justice (I just met a DJ friend who gave me all 10GB of his entire hip hop collection). Among all my phones, it isn't even close. The musicality and rhythmic bass I get out of these babies are what I want for such music.

I suspect they're going to be my first choice for this genre for a while.

Thanks guys.

Glad you like them too
etysmile.gif
For the longest time I thought I must be "nuts" to be the only one in this whole site to even talk about these, let alone liking them so much.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #86 of 99,335
Bought the SHE3580s today. For everyone in New Zealand, you can get them for $29.99 at Noel Leeming, Bond & Bond or Harvey Norman. They are currently going for $23.99 at Noel Leeming and Bond & Bond thanks to the boxing day specials.

Here's the packaging you should look out for:

Will have a listen tonight
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #87 of 99,335
Nooooooo Dsnuts, you will ruin my budget again. j/k
Well, I think I must choose one of them, and I think I will choose TT. I dont have much money before lunar new year.
This time, may be i will order from amazon jp.
Is that expensive in NZ?

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #88 of 99,335

Quote:
Bought the SHE3580s today. For everyone in New Zealand, you can get them for $29.99 at Noel Leeming, Bond & Bond or Harvey Norman. They are currently going for $23.99 at Noel Leeming and Bond & Bond thanks to the boxing day specials.

tongue_smile.gif

Good tip with the packaging. I found so many different ones too- the key is to look for the words 'lightweight design'. Then, when you turn to the top (not back or sides) of the box, you'll see the words "SHE3580"

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #89 of 99,335

Quote:
So does the thermaltake come with a single quad-segmented plug that does both headphones and mic (like what phones take) or a stereo plug and a separate mic plug (like what PCs take)?  Shouldn't it only work for either one or the other...?
blink.gif
Unless it comes in one form and has an adapter for the other form...

It is standard single cord to 3.5 jack that also has mic for cell phones and comes with an adapter which splits signal from single 3.5 to dual 3.5. One for Mic in and sound in.. Good solid packaging  a case to carry it all and 3 different sized tips. Great for your cell phone or for gaming..All with that AT precise sound.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #90 of 99,335

Quote:

tongue_smile.gif

Aren't you the guy who discovered the Focalprice XKDUN IEMs?  I've wanted to give those a try since I saw that brand of phones on sale at a brick & mortar store in Hong Kong, but I haven't spotted them again since seeing your review.  Looking forward to you comparing these Philips with the Focalprice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back