The discovery thread!
Mar 31, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #75,406 of 98,036
3AD483E5-868E-4D9F-9DD7-4CF8EC6A21DD.JPG2E8E2E62-2528-47D9-827B-E3168DEC4CB1.JPG
*not stock tips (Symbio W Peel)
Well well well, not a basshead myself but i'm blown away by the Legato..
You might think with that amount of bass, it will probably sound dark, not at all..
The treble remains lively and energetic, never offensive or harsh.

If you have had any experience with vintage speakers, they are quite similar sounding. Some graphs are already floating around, but all i can say is, if you have the chance, listen to it, the graph doesn't really tell the whole story.

I'm burning in the Legato now, will be back with some impressions probably tomorrow :)
Cheers!
interesting! Waiting to see comparison of the Legato and Rinko, as it seems to also be a bit of a bass cannon, and I'm currently looking for one.

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #75,407 of 98,036
interesting! Waiting to see comparison of the Legato and Rinko, as it seems to also be a bit of a bass cannon, and I'm currently looking for one.
I have the Rinko coming to me as well, will compare both when i have it

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #75,409 of 98,036
So a few more words on the 7Hz Legato. The bass is big, as you will know from the couple of us who have started to express what we hear. The bass is not boomy at all, but it does have a boxyness as did the larger of old time speakers. Not a floorstanding speaker sound, but imagine a large speaker on a stand. That type of boxyness. On Marianne Faithful's live version of Sister Morphine (Blazing Away album), her deep voice is perfect for the Legato. The bass guitar notes are more forward than on other IEMs. Drums hits are forward with good skin textures and resonance. There is a big feel about the sound as if we are inside the venue. For some music this IEM gives a big, hearty, impactful, gig like experience. I'm sure a lot of music will be unsuitable for the Legato, but horses for courses and I think this IEM will be like Marmite, you'll either love it or hate it. Definitely don't judge it on first impressions as it breaks in after a few hours and then gains some clarity progressively. On 'Focus on Sanity', Ornette Coleman, this the only IEM that brings the Double Bass forward enough to be right in front of you and I've listened to this on many IEMs. Really like being in Ronnie Scott's. Turn the wick up and feel like you are on night out in a Jazz Club. Amazing Double Bass. Soundstage width and imaging is good on the right tracks. I haven't listened to it enough, but this might be perfect for club type jazz.

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #75,410 of 98,036
So a few more words on the 7Hz Legato. The bass is big, as you will know from the couple of us who have started to express what we hear. The bass is not boomy at all, but it does have a boxyness as did the larger of old time speakers. Not a floorstanding speaker sound, but imagine a large speaker on a stand. That type of boxyness. On Marianne Faithful's live version of Sister Morphine (Blazing Away album), her deep voice is perfect for the Legato. The bass guitar notes are more forward than on other IEMs. Drums hits are forward with good skin textures and resonance. There is a big feel about the sound as if we are inside the venue. For some music this IEM gives a big, hearty, impactful, gig like experience. I'm sure a lot of music will be unsuitable for the Legato, but horses for courses and I think this IEM will be like Marmite, you'll either love it or hate it. Definitely don't judge it on first impressions as it breaks in after a few hours and then gains some clarity progressively. On 'Focus on Sanity', Ornette Coleman, this the only IEM that brings the Double Bass forward enough to be right in front of you and I've listened to this on many IEMs. Really like being in Ronnie Scott's. Turn the wick up and feel like you are on night out in a Jazz Club. Amazing Double Bass. Soundstage width and imaging is good on the right tracks. I haven't listened to it enough, but this might be perfect for club type jazz.
sounds perfect to listen to some Primus :D

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #75,411 of 98,036
How common is driver failure on IEMs? This is by biggest concern when thinking about flagship IEMs.

Seems to be relatively rare outside of specific cases like DDs failing on the original Mangird Tea due to moisture build up (See Hi-Fri's video on this.), I haven't experienced bad drivers on any of my sets yet, would you be able to easily pick up a broken BA on a multiple BA set?

I remember Timmy was graphing some IEMs during a YT stream, a DD on his Kinera Nanna Zeos died on camera.

A busted DD is probably easier to spot though that would depend on the crossover because it's not uncommon to see DDs meshed with BAs when handling bass frequencies.

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #75,412 of 98,036
sounds perfect to listen to some Primus :D
As you recommended I just listened to.... Tommy the Cat and Sathington Waltz. Bang. Like being mugged by sound. Very in the ears experience with a lot of impact. Great stuff.

Edit
'Fish on Fisherman'. Great impact on this Legato with the wick up. I'm sure the drummer is hitting me over the head with his drumstick

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #75,413 of 98,036
What's the sound differences between them, and with which IEMs did you try them?

It's actually on sale right now
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0OdlqQ
I think the BlackSoul enhances the lows and mids, which providing a bit more rounded bass and slight heft and punch, whereas the Black Cat seems to improve the top end and provide a bit of air and separation (which is typically lacking in the We Zetian), while still taking nothing away from the bottom end.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #75,414 of 98,036
I think the BlackSoul enhances the lows and mids, which providing a bit more rounded bass and slight heft and punch, whereas the Black Cat seems to improve the top end and provide a bit of air and separation (which is typically lacking in the We Zetian, while still taking nothing away from the bottom end.

If nothing else that BlackSoul cable sure looks cool. How does it handle?

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #75,415 of 98,036
As you recommended I just listened to.... Tommy the Cat and Sathington Waltz. Bang. Like being mugged by sound. Very in the ears experience with a lot of impact. Great stuff.

Edit
'Fish on Fisherman'. Great impact on this Legato with the wick up. I'm sure the drummer is hitting me over the head with his drumstick
that's what I like to hear! Thank you!

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #75,416 of 98,036
How common is driver failure on IEMs? This is by biggest concern when thinking about flagship IEMs.

Seems to be relatively rare outside of specific cases like DDs failing on the original Mangird Tea due to moisture build up (See Hi-Fri's video on this.), I haven't experienced bad drivers on any of my sets yet, would you be able to easily pick up a broken BA on a multiple BA set?

I remember Timmy was graphing some IEMs during a YT stream, a DD on his Kinera Nanna Zeos died on camera.

A busted DD is probably easier to spot though that would depend on the crossover because it's not uncommon to see DDs meshed with BAs when handling bass frequencies.
It's a rare occurrence for me. Out of the hundreds of IEMs I've acquired, it's happened on maybe 2-3? I remember for certain the KEF M200 I bought where the LF driver went bad and no longer delivered bass, so I had to return it, but my "newer" pair works just fine and hasn't had any driver issues.

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #75,417 of 98,036
If nothing else that BlackSoul cable sure looks cool. How does it handle?
It's THICK! Takes up a lot of space. Now it's compliant and doesn't really tangle, but being thick, it's not supple or pliable, but definitely hearty, beautiful, and compliant.

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #75,418 of 98,036
This latency issue is quite annoying and causing some response issues using "Reply". Ugh!

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #75,419 of 98,036
A great example of how technology in sound & tuning advances is doing an A/B with two similar sized micro dynamics. Side by side between the KZ Ling Long ($15) and the Monster Miles Davis Trumpets ($400 initial MSRP, but can be bought used for $150). Now the accessories of the MMDT absolutely obliterate the KZ. It's not even in the same universe. The aesthetics are also 10 to 1 in favor of the MMDT, as they are one of the blingiest, most beautiful IEM's ever made. That's where the superiority ends. As far as sound goes, the $15.00 Ling Long produce a more refined and punchy bass experience, that's just faster than the MMDT. Mids bite better, and have better resolution, while the only place where the MMDT wins is in the treble refinement. There is absolutely NO grain in the highs of the MMDT, whereas you get the occasional grain and off timbre splashes in the Ling Long, while the MMDT provides a more mature and controlled top end. Instrument separation and soundstage go to the KZ by a fair bit. It's wider and more spaced. Fun factor goes to the Ling Long. These made me react more viscerally and I found myself bobbing and dancing more with the overall sound response of the Ling Long than the MMDT. Now if you want to add the MMDT to your collection just to have such a unique, and still really good sounding IEM (In their day, they were HIGHLY RANKED), then for under $100, they are a bargain. But for comparison sake, and budgetary and fiscal means, the aurally superior and much cheaper KZ Ling Long would be a much better value. Carry on!

Attachments

• IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #75,420 of 98,036

It completely depends on how you use them.

I've never had moisture issue as I give break at max an hour. This is a good practice for both your ears and your iems.

When it comes to a BA, I've never had any failure. However, DD indeed I had problems. It was usually after long term usage and driver failsled by itself. However that happened usually with the cheap iems.

If one of BAs fail, it's really difficult to take it off or replace. They're glued in their place so strong that you usually end up damaging the shell.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back