The discovery thread!
Sep 30, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #60,406 of 99,364
The DAC/AMPs our world designed are better and bette[/ATTACH]

and all the more expensive. US $ 499 !!! For an electronic key? They seem to be in dire need of money. :)
The second usb for power supply is a good thing. Single ES9038Q2M. Power output is not declared.

Understanding why it is so much better Shanling UP5 at the price of 170 - on a twin Saber ES9219C, for me personally - is difficult.
Unless if you get it as a gift.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #60,407 of 99,364
and all the more expensive. US $ 499 !!! For an electronic key? They seem to be in dire need of money. :)
The second usb for power supply is a good thing. Single ES9038Q2M. Power output is not declared.

Understanding why it is so much better Shanling UP5 at the price of 170 - on a twin Saber ES9219C, for me personally - is difficult.
Unless if you get it as a gift.

I never heard Shanling UP5, sadly, so I can't comment on that comparison.

Shanling UA2 is awewsome though, if you need a simple portable DAC/AMp for smartphones.

I will see if I can review the UP5 and review it too :)

I do review everything, from the most affordable to the most eccentric of products, so I like it too when budget products have great overall value.

Sep 30, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #60,408 of 99,364
LZ A4 Pro and plantains from the Canary Islands.
All my support to all the people who are suffering from the very serious consequences of the volcano on the island of La Palma.

LZ A4 Pro 28_resize.jpg

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #60,409 of 99,364
Something wicked to come this way.

1633029624256.png

Specification​

• Model: H50
  • Driver: 4 Balanced Armature +1 Dynamic driver
  • 4BA: 2BA for high frequency,2BA for middle frequency
  • 1 Dynamic: 10mm composite diaphragm Dynamic driver for bass
  • Impedance: 25ohm
  • Sensitivity: 108dB
  • Frequency response: 20-20kHz
  • 3 channels 3-way crossover
  • Connector: MMCX
  • Plug: Gold-plated
  • Cable length: 1.2M
You know it was only gonna be a matter of time before the follow up to the H40 would be released. The final tuning seems to be done. They have clearly toiled over this one and it has to be a level above their most sucessful earphones the ISN H40. Not to be confused with the EST50 the H50 will be out soon. Will let you all know how it is when they get the green light.

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #60,410 of 99,364
Something wicked to come this way.

1633029624256.png

Specification​

• Model: H50
  • Driver: 4 Balanced Armature +1 Dynamic driver
  • 4BA: 2BA for high frequency,2BA for middle frequency
  • 1 Dynamic: 10mm composite diaphragm Dynamic driver for bass
  • Impedance: 25ohm
  • Sensitivity: 108dB
  • Frequency response: 20-20kHz
  • 3 channels 3-way crossover
  • Connector: MMCX
  • Plug: Gold-plated
  • Cable length: 1.2M
You know it was only gonna be a matter of time before the follow up to the H40 would be released. The final tuning seems to be done. They have clearly toiled over this one and it has to be a level above their most sucessful earphones the ISN H40. Not to be confused with the EST50 the H50 will be out soon. Will let you all know how it is when they get the green light.
Any idea of proposed pricepoint or price range?

Sep 30, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #60,412 of 99,364
I had a loaner set for this model. To be blunt, the Ceres are one of the worst sets I've listened to this year.

Shozy_Ceres.jpg

Very weird L shaped tuning. Big bloated bass, recessed mids and dark treble, but a spike around the 10ish kHz region. Blunted dynamics, poor microdetails and instrument separation and clarity. Above average soundstage, imaging and layering are the only redeeming parts of the tuning. BA timbre tops everything off. The mid bass bleed eats into the other frequencies and the tuning is really incoherent.

I burned them in for almost 100 hours, and at first I thought that I had received a defective pair. But the channels match well, and I've seen a few other reviewers and consumers who bought this set have similar impressions.

They look very nice though. But for the asking price of $180 USD, they are really overpriced, and the technicalities are no better than a sub $30 - 50 USD set. Generally hybrids beat single DD in technicalities at the budget segment, but the Ceres also lose to some single DD at the $100 region in technical performance.

TLDR: They look much better than they sound; hard pass unless you are a very treble sensitive person who likes an analoguish sound.

I was sent a review unit as well and I feel the same and what a pity to be honest.

Sep 30, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #60,413 of 99,364
I had a loaner set for this model. To be blunt, the Ceres are one of the worst sets I've listened to this year.

Shozy_Ceres.jpg

Very weird L shaped tuning. Big bloated bass, recessed mids and dark treble, but a spike around the 10ish kHz region. Blunted dynamics, poor microdetails and instrument separation and clarity. Above average soundstage, imaging and layering are the only redeeming parts of the tuning. BA timbre tops everything off. The mid bass bleed eats into the other frequencies and the tuning is really incoherent.

I burned them in for almost 100 hours, and at first I thought that I had received a defective pair. But the channels match well, and I've seen a few other reviewers and consumers who bought this set have similar impressions.

They look very nice though. But for the asking price of $180 USD, they are really overpriced, and the technicalities are no better than a sub $30 - 50 USD set. Generally hybrids beat single DD in technicalities at the budget segment, but the Ceres also lose to some single DD at the $100 region in technical performance.

TLDR: They look much better than they sound; hard pass unless you are a very treble sensitive person who likes an analoguish sound.
Shozy and their dark treble. totally sounds like their house sound.

Sep 30, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #60,414 of 99,364
Shozy and their dark treble. totally sounds like their house sound.

Dark treble is one thing. It is not a totally dark treble though. One sudden spike at the 10ish kHz region suddenly sprouts out of nowhere.

Other than the dark treble, my beef with this set is that the technicalities are not up to the mark for the $180 USD price. Also, the midbass bleed just engulfs all the other frequencies. Shozy is probably gonna blacklist me, but really, in 2021 I'd expect much much more from a $50 USD set, not to mention a $180 set like this.

Sep 30, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #60,416 of 99,364
Sep 30, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #60,417 of 99,364
Dark treble is one thing. It is not a totally dark treble though. One sudden spike at the 10ish kHz region suddenly sprouts out of nowhere.

Other than the dark treble, my beef with this set is that the technicalities are not up to the mark for the $180 USD price. Also, the midbass bleed just engulfs all the other frequencies. Shozy is probably gonna blacklist me, but really, in 2021 I'd expect much much more from a $50 USD set, not to mention a $180 set like this.
It was a bit startling when watching Akros (@Tonytex on here) reviewing a bunch of sets in other videos and he's generally able to find redeeming qualities about them, then he gets to these and his disappointment in Shozy's tuning was palpable through the video.

If they sound like their graph indicates, though, I can understand the disappointment, especially out of a nearly $200 set.
85f6fc7cb089f7f952d4ac23566d6a8400018ce7_2_690x298.png

based on the graph, I'm expecting rolled off subbass, bloated midbass, recessed mids, dark treble, and a stab in the ear at 10kHz. Especially sad since the Form 1.1 has a pretty attractive graph and people seem pretty fond of it.

Sep 30, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #60,418 of 99,364

Shozy_Ceres.jpg

The sad part is that the graph for GS Audio's cheapest set looks more sensible than the one for the Ceres.
235127997_132134759108624_1368445850262387593_n.jpg

85f6fc7cb089f7f952d4ac23566d6a8400018ce7_2_690x298.png

Same 1+1 driver configuration at less than half the price with a graph that has a reasonably attractive curve that makes sense. Oof, Shozy has some real work to do.

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #60,419 of 99,364
Oct 1, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #60,420 of 99,364
IMG_20211001_080047.jpg

I know it's pretty old but I was kinda curious so I snapped up an old QDC Neptune 2nd hand.

Ended up reviewing it here

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/qdc-neptune.22828/reviews#review-26941

Aaaand yeah, based on this and what my circle's said about the Uranus QDC has to up their lower level offerings to be competitive, especially considering Chi-fi today. Would love to try some of their higher-end stuff one day so I can really figure 'em out as a brand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back