The discovery thread!
Apr 26, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #56,176 of 99,725
Would be a shame if Meze's revamped 12 Classics V2 were overlooked. They are quite awesome indeed.

Head-fi / Contraptionist (w/ measurements for those who care)

DSC_0426 (2).jpg

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #56,178 of 99,725
I bet these KS1s sound better than the UM MASON FS! at less than 1/6000ths of the cost!! With that silver cable included!

Most folks that post here are earphone fanatics. I am gonna doubt anyone here has an Ultrasone Pro 900 so I am gonna doubt anyone can compare any of the earphones you seen with that can. I have a few Ultrasone cans myself HFI-580 and HFI -780 but again not exacty what you own there.

Plus earphones are not really gonna sound like ultrasone cans as they use that S logic which makes them sound more spacious. Earphones are directly inside your ears so a different type of sound altogether. You can certainly ask some of the other threads but again unless folks own exactly what you got. No real way to comparing.

lol, perhaps you’re right. we’ll see in a couple weeks ...

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #56,179 of 99,725

TOTL in the Peanut fi realm. KB EAR KS1 https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kb-ear-ks1.25011/reviews#review-25751 These sound pretty dang good, not bad for the cost of a cheaper dinner plate.
Great review & picture! However I do have different opinion about KS1. Granted I only ran them with stock cable/tips via a phone for half an hour, before wrapping them up for return. So take that with grain of salt.

Sound was fairly clean, and packed with moderate dynamics. I found their mids a bit too thin for my liking. Typical V shaped tuning, with somewhat okay bass. They were not very smooth IMO, especially when volume were raised. Again YMMV, it could very well be unit variation for a cheap set. But I'm glad to be a boulder to slow the hype train lol.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #56,180 of 99,725
You cant expect much from a sub $20 earphone. I much prefer the KS1 over their KS2 but to be honest these will be used for casual use more than anything and I think really that is what they are made for.

You should have tried that inversion mod I put on the review. That mod is brilliant whomever came up with that. You can make a cheap throw in tip into something substantial and worth using. Tips that came with the KS1 works perfect for that mod.

Apr 27, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #56,181 of 99,725
You cant expect much from a sub $20 earphone. I much prefer the KS1 over their KS2 but to be honest these will be used for casual use more than anything and I think really that is what they are made for.

You should have tried that inversion mod I put on the review. That mod is brilliant whomever came up with that. You can make a cheap throw in tip into something substantial and worth using. Tips that came with the KS1 works perfect for that mod.
I have both KS1($17) and KZ EDX($7), with stock cable EDX sounded better in resolution/bass-response/mid richness, If you have not, give EDX a try👍

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #56,187 of 99,725
Initial impression (vs. Volt): Bravado mk2 sounds bit too bass heavy for my taste. It is clean, articulate and dynamic bass that should work really well if I were to listen mostly house, pop, r&b, EDM music, but it is quite distracting with classical music as the cello section sounds more like an army of double-bassists. I attenuated about 4-5dBs of bass with a low shelf filter and sound is more pleasing now.
Above its sizable bass hump – from the upper bass region and up through the treble - the Bravado is on the whole bit more accurate-sounding than the Volt. The Volt has more mid/upper bass, and a result suffers from a bit more bass bleed. This, in turn, results in lower midrange clarity. The soundstage of the Bravado doesn’t have the sheer width of earphones with more laid-back mids (like the Volt and Z1R), but it ends up sounding well-layered and versatile.

PMV PP: Barely listenable after Bravado and nothing special in any way. Timbre is off and clarity is non existent, with some harshness in upper Mids. The lower mids are muffled/veiled.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #56,188 of 99,725
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #56,189 of 99,725
....as the cello section sounds more like an army of double-bassists...

Ha ha... that’s a good one.

Great assessment. For me the bass is so clean and articulate I quite like the boost for the new classical/ classical crossover type stuff and ambient. I don’t really listen to orchestral classical more small chamber stuff so the bass doesn’t get in the way so much. Not an iem for everything but a fun tuning and very well done in the mids and treble with great clarity.

Too bad about the PMV.. I was wondering what that would be like.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #56,190 of 99,725
Ha ha... that’s a good one.

Great assessmentFor me the bass is so clean and articulate I quite like the boost. I don’t really listen to orchestral classical more small chamber stuff so the bass doesn’t get in the way so much.

Too bad about the PMV.. I was wondering what that would be like.
It has a planar driver I think.. will burn it in for few days and re-assess.

I just tried some Rock, Pop and EDM with Bravado and wow! probably cleanest sounding bass I’ve ever heard in IEM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back