The discovery thread!
Jan 13, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #53,926 of 61,118

Owludio

100+ Head-Fier
What is the rationale for taping up the FD5 ?
I'm not blocking vents, just reduce pressure points. This way it securely rests inside the concha without scratching. I only tape the sharp edges. M3 band aid tape is soft rubbery foam tape. Later I will figure out something better.

Fd5 has potential as I tried incerting pieces of foam in that roomy nozzles, and it changes sound more than cable does.
I already like it but compared to powerful bass of FH7, - is a bit disappointing. With this tuning it doesn't beat Blessing2. When burn in completed, will post on Fd5 thread.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #53,929 of 61,118

unifutomaki

1000+ Head-Fier
IMG_20210114_212623458.jpg

Received the Tiandirenhe TD06 (?) in green and gold this evening. The cable-less option cost me $24 and it's making do with one of my spare KZ specials for now.

AE link: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNu8TK1

This company honestly does a bad job at describing exactly what they are selling, but these are the ones that have a single DD, sport the same shell as the Openheart resin/Smabat black bat and come with three pairs of tuning nozzles (coloured black, red and blue). I'll need more time to experiment with the nozzles, but the blue tuning is what I'm going with for now.

Fit and comfort is sublime, especially after swapping the stock silicones for Sony MH750 tips. The contours allow the shell to sit securely in my outer ear and achieving a good deal is effortless.

How does it sound? Well, the bass is prominent on this one, with a surprising degree of sub-bass extension. Unlike my ZAX and SSP, these are perfectly happy to thump and growl in a visceral manner. Thankfully, while these are warm and bassy, they don't come across as dark and recessed. The mids and treble are definitely not as pronounced as the lower frequencies, and there is maybe a bit of mid-bass bloat, but detail retrieval is adequate if not class leading. The overall presentation is on the intimate, closed-in side at the moment, with not a great deal of width and depth to the soundstage and feeling somewhat short on "air", but they may yet open up a little with burn-in and a balanced cable.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #53,930 of 61,118

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
Importance of burn in. So my statement here is not to pursuade folks about burn in. Truth is burn in affects some earphones not so much others. I burn in everything as a rule. In the case of the Zen. It has clearly benefited from burn in. Now that I have a good 150 hours on it. Zen has clearly left the building. It has become a beast of an earphone. Tonal balancing like I mentioned before is spot on. I am critically listening to them for my review and this morning it has become even a higher end IEM than when I was listening to them a few days ago.

Sound has expanded for a wider deeper stage. Sound has become prestine with even beter technicalities. Details in all directions. For speedy driver fans. Zen might take the cake for the speediest drivers in the industry. Even over their own Lunas. What does that mean? If your into your speed metal. The Zens are the ultimate solution. Not just metal but for every single genre I listen to. These are blowing my mind the more and more I listen to them.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #53,931 of 61,118

Scuba Devils

Headphoneus Supremus
Importance of burn in. So my statement here is not to pursuade folks about burn in. Truth is burn in affects some earphones not so much others. I burn in everything as a rule. In the case of the Zen. It has clearly benefited from burn in. Now that I have a good 150 hours on it. Zen has clearly left the building. It has become a beast of an earphone. Tonal balancing like I mentioned before is spot on. I am critically listening to them for my review and this morning it has become even a higher end IEM than when I was listening to them a few days ago.

Sound has expanded for a wider deeper stage. Sound has become presitne with even beter technicalities. Details in all directions. For speedy driver fans. Zen might take the cake for the speediest drivers in the industry. Even over their own Lunas. What does that mean? If your into your speed metal. The Zens are the ultimate solution. Not just metal but for every single genre I listen to. These are blowing my mind the more and more I listen to them.

An exciting prospect for me - probably only 10 hours in now and loving every minute.

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #53,932 of 61,118

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
Ya don't skimp on the burn in on them. They clearly benefit from burn in no question. The Zens balanced out of my Fiio M15 is mind blowing. It is dumb how good it sounds.

I had a realization just how good the Zens are this morning. There is no question at the given price point they are amazing. I did so many reviews last year and the Zens are leaving just about everything I reviewed previously in the dust. It is as close to a perfect sound as I can think of and that is what is mind blowing to me.

Zen is the perfect name for the earphones. Looks like Dunu has learned a thing or two in bringing out the Luna and actually advanced a few things beyond that. Zen is your island phone. Zen is a state of mind and you will get that listening to these. Zen in my book will be the bench for all dynamics in the 1K range. Just crazy how good.

Folks that want to leave the mid fi realm and enter what a true high end earphone sound like. Zen is the perfect earphones to start with.

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #53,933 of 61,118

PCgaming4ever

100+ Head-Fier

Sound has expanded for a wider deeper stage. Sound has become prestine with even beter technicalities. Details in all directions. For speedy driver fans. Zen might take the cake for the speediest drivers in the industry. Even over their own Lunas. What does that mean? If your into your speed metal. The Zens are the ultimate solution. Not just metal but for every single genre I listen to. These are blowing my mind the more and more I listen to them.
Yes I didn't really believe in burn in before I got my L12 in but all the reviews on TaoBao said you need to burn them in. The bass was very slightly lacking and the mids were a touch shouty at higher volumes still really good sounding but was missing something. I figured what the heck let me try so I left them playing all night which would put about 20hrs total on them and when I picked them up this morning something had changed. I couldn't believe it the change was wasn't drastic but it was just enough to fix the small issues and brought some more bass (they actually have more than my Thieaudio L3 now) and cleaned up the shoutyness. Know it could be just my ears getting used to the sound but I swear they sound slightly different. I will note this is the first ones I've heard a noticable change in tone after using them for a while. Is it snake oil old wives tail who knows but it might not be as crazy as I thought it was. My guess is really what your doing is loosing up the diaphragm.

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #53,934 of 61,118

Scuba Devils

Headphoneus Supremus
I've heard of burn in many times over the years but never really knew to what extent it makes a difference and if it is the brain or technology adjusting, or both! Anyway, I'll try with the ZEN and leave them overnight tonight.

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #53,935 of 61,118

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
Yes I didn't really believe in burn in before I got my L12 in but all the reviews on TaoBao said you need to burn them in. The bass was very slightly lacking and the mids were a touch shouty at higher volumes still really good sounding but was missing something. I figured what the heck let me try so I left them playing all night which would put about 20hrs total on them and when I picked them up this morning something had changed. I couldn't believe it the change was wasn't drastic but it was just enough to fix the small issues and brought some more bass (they actually have more than my Thieaudio L3 now) and cleaned up the shoutyness. Know it could be just my ears getting used to the sound but I swear they sound slightly different. I will note this is the first ones I've heard a noticable change in tone after using them for a while. Is it snake oil old wives tail who knows but it might not be as crazy as I thought it was. My guess is really what your doing is loosing up the diaphragm.

No harm in burning in stuff. Especailly when manufacturers suggest it. Fiio for example in a PM told me to burn in their FD5 for 100 plus hours. Beyond believing burn in works or not. If there is even a 1% change the sound will be better. Why not?

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #53,936 of 61,118

FlacFan

100+ Head-Fier
the MT300 does settle down in the bass department, but it's still a thicker presentation than say the A7 or NM2+. That's why I like it so much. It's MUSICAL and technical, with that unique treble and that enveloping stage. It's not a thin noted iem by any stretch, so if you're the kind that wants ultra transparency and lighter note presentation, the MT300 isn't for you. It's on the warmish side.

I joined the MT300 club. I also purchased the NiceHCK NX7 Mk III. Needless to say - this all your fault, ehem enthusiasm about those IEM's.

I am not regretting though. They both sound really good right out of the gate. I am rotating them with my TFZ No.3 and the NiceHCK DB3.

To my ears the MT300 and the TFZ are pretty close to each other and so are the two NiceHCK. I am not very good in describing sound using all those fancy key words, but the NX7 Mk III appears to be more refined than the DB3.

The MT300 beats every other IEM in the accessory category. At first I thought I had ordered a book. Scratching my head when I got the package. Then the box...oh mei...what a presentation. However the smell is really horrible. They should use odorless glue - it's not that hard.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #53,937 of 61,118

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyways back on track. I will be focused on Zen full time all the time.
I can say what separates the Zens from other mid fi offerings. That naturalness is stunning. Zens have some of the best timbre for sound I have heard since my old FX850 with a much higher end tuning. It makes a big difference to me.

Zens while leaning a bit more toward neutral in tuning is not exactly that either which is what makes them so good. Dunu added just enough coloration for the benefit of music listening. So in that way for neutral purists they might not cut it but for folks that actually love listening to your music. Just astounding how good.

I joined the MT300 club. I also purchased the NiceHCK NX7 Mk III. Needless to say - this all your fault, ehem enthusiasm about those IEM's.

I am not regretting though. They both sound really good right out of the gate. I am rotating them with my TFZ No.3 and the NiceHCK DB3.

To my ears the MT300 and the TFZ are pretty close to each other and so are the two NiceHCK. I am not very good in describing sound using all those fancy key words, but the NX7 Mk III appears to be more refined than the DB3.

The MT300 beats every other IEM in the accessory category. At first I thought I had ordered a book. Scratching my head when I got the package. Then the box...oh mei...what a presentation. However the smell is really horrible. They should use odorless glue - it's not that hard.

Cheers.

Discovering new sound for you is what this thread is all about. I have the NX7 3rd myself. Awesome set for certain.

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #53,938 of 61,118

tgx78

Headphoneus Supremus
1D8D7424-3FBD-4809-ACD2-7CFB3056C373.jpeg

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #53,939 of 61,118

Scuba Devils

Headphoneus Supremus
Just finished work so night #2 with ZEN can commence.

ZEN-1.jpg

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #53,940 of 61,118

brsdrgn

100+ Head-Fier
I had a problem with the stock cable of lz a7 and it wasn't surprising that NiceHCK sent a replacement cable after showing them the issue. This store has one of the best customer service and I can honestly say that I check their store first before I buy sth on AE.

When they were sending the replacement cable I decided to give a chance to NiceHCK C4-3 cable with 4.4 mm balanced plug.
IMG_20210114_195736_071.jpg

Oh boy. This cable is so beautiful. Such a thick beautiful looking cable. It's also quite heavy too.
IMG_20210114_195732_858.jpg

When the delivery guy brought me the package, it was really cold. I understand that it finally started to snow here beautifully and it's quite cold outside. The cable was so cold and stiff. I thought it might get softer after it stays in the room temperature. It's been almost a week and this stiffness didn't go away. It's like a snake now after I lift it up and can preserve its shape for a few second then starts slightly bending. 😁
IMG_20210114_195730_446.jpg

This is such a thick hard fuller sounding cable. It's stubborn a bit but I'm more stubborn to use it. The sound got fuller and has more resolution. The imaging got better and scene got slightly smaller. Mmcx connectors are really tight. It sits quite well and I have to force it to turn around.

Additionally, I decided to use A7's stock cable with my tin t2+ and you know what? They are a perfect match imho.
IMG_20210114_195745_644.jpg

The scene got bigger, technicality improved and I started to enjoy my tin t2+ as well. I use it on my phone and I like that I don't need to amp t2+. I can still get the most out of it with my phone. I think I didn't appreciate t2+ much when I was comparing it to Heart Mirror. HM still gets my heart but t2+ definitely deserves my respect as I don't need to carry my dap with me like I did it with HM.
IMG_20210114_195743_244.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread