The discovery thread!
Dec 10, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #45,751 of 99,778
Ugh, .... Tri I3

Why is it that every time I visit this thread I spend money.

Dec 10, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #45,752 of 99,778
Question from a chifi noob - where does the KZ ZS10 Pro fit in to the current bang for buck scene in terms of quality? Just picked up a pair to send to a relative who's a huge music fan but still uses his Apple Earpods as they are locally available on Amazon in the UK. Wondering how they sit against the current flavours of the month in the sub $100 or sub $50 IEM landscape?

KZ ZS10 Pro is a good set that released in mid 2019, it has great instrument separation, clarity, details, imaging. Good isolation and fit. Only issue was I felt it had a bit of an artificial timbre in the treble registers for acoustic instruments. If your music doesn't incorporate such instruments like EDM, rock, pop, it is a very good set. I dare say it can hit about 80% sound quality of my westone 3 and westone w30, which costs 10 times the price.
There is a successor to the ZS10 Pro called the KZ ZSX (Terminator) which has better timbre and improvements, so ZS10 Pro has kind of been superceded by it and the CCA C12/TRN V90, which are sort of side grades to the ZSX. So for a few dollars more, it's better to go for the successors IMHO.

Dec 10, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #45,753 of 99,778
Wow, just received my a55 & all I can say it's beautiful. Far better sounding than my phone + Shanling UP2. :clap::clap::clap:

The soundstage is so big & even bigger with the clear audio+ on. The detail is also much greater than listening to my phone :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

told you so! lol

Dec 10, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #45,754 of 99,778
KZ ZS10 Pro is a good set that released in mid 2019, it has great instrument separation, clarity, details, imaging. Good isolation and fit. Only issue was I felt it had a bit of an artificial timbre in the treble registers for acoustic instruments. If your music doesn't incorporate such instruments like EDM, rock, pop, it is a very good set. I dare say it can hit about 80% sound quality of my westone 3 and westone w30, which costs 10 times the price.
There is a successor to the ZS10 Pro called the KZ ZSX (Terminator) which has better timbre and improvements, so ZS10 Pro has kind of been superceded by it and the CCA C12/TRN V90, which are sort of side grades to the ZSX. So for a few dollars more, it's better to go for the successors IMHO.

The one area where a ZS10 Pro may be competitive is fit. Many praised the fit of the ZS10 Pro compared to other KZ offerings, such as the AS10 and the original ZS10. The ZSX and C12 are reputed to be a little more awkward than the ZS10 Pro.

But baskingshark is entirely correct. The ZSX and C12 represent better value, as they are marginal improvements over the ZS10 Pro. The newer IEMs (ZSX/C12) should be the first choice unless the purchaser is extremely sensitive towards fit.

Dec 10, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #45,755 of 99,778
Yeah, you're welcome. It's definitely on my watch list too. I'll wait for more impressions for now.

i'll wait for the reviews/recommendations from @Dsnuts, @DannyBai, and @Otto Motor , because between the three of these dudes, they never seem to steer me wrong, so i listen when they say something is good

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #45,759 of 99,778
Tfz official on ali store. The only bad side is, that surface scratches easily

Wrap it in some clear vinyl, like the stuff for automotive paint protection.

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #45,760 of 99,778
Lately I've been checking out the Cubilux HC-1 USB-C dongle and it has really impressed me with its performance:
20191211_223721.jpg

This little Cubilux device has impressed me enough that I think it deserves its dedicated thread so if anyone is interested in learning more about it more information will be added here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-cubilux-hc-1-impressions-thread.921055/#post-15356854

The performance of the Cubilux HC-1 and TempoTec V1 combined keeps up to some of my favorite DAPs with the added benefit of having the possibility to completely change the sound signature by replacing the Cubilux with another dongle or dac/amp combo

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #45,761 of 99,778
First thing if you can spot it that I wasn't thrilled with...

The sweat resistant over-ear sports headphones are actually on-ear. Not thrilled but not a deal breaker. Still can fit and be stable to run around in though over ear would be a safer bet to keep from sliding off. There still is the build, design, sound and BT performance to judge.

The quick and dirty pics where I try to show the design including the controls...

I'm off tomorrow and with gusts of wind and 100% chance of rain I can use these and test them out in others ways.

I got to spend a couple of days out with the Philips Action fit cans. Tested them out in many ways. They seemed to have burnt in a bit and they sound better with my AGPtek player which didn't seem a great match at first but better now. BT is rock solid. Got 65 feet outside from just my X55 clip player with BT4.1 and no drops. Connects quick and readily to another device after shutting the first off.

They are quickly becoming my favorite cans. My favorite pads for sure even if they are on ear. The right amount of firmness and give and super comfy. Pads can be turned some if you choose to aim the band back more to stay on your head for push ups or something and want to get more stability. The cups are super quiet and this helps with the impression of the solid build. No creaks or noise. They are oddly heavy substantial feeling but still at the same time light.

The isolation on these being semi-open is a good amount for their purpose. More than Koss or other foam padded on ears but less than sealing on ear. The vent for the cups is under the yoke to prevent moisture coming in. Voices wind are more subdued and quieted nicely but you are not really isolated. Helps give them a bigger sound which is very enjoyable. A little wider than the height or depth but the depth is very good to me. Good 3D portrayal if not the biggest sound but enough stage to like more than most in-ears will give you. bass is deliciously fun and a great amount. Not to much at home where quiet but enough outside. The focus but pretty sweet mids are right up there and the treble is articulate and is there just enough but polite. I do like to engage the JAZZ EQ on my X51 to give a bit more up top to give the treble the same amount as the bass and mids have. Still great on my podcasts and also with my tunes. Very fun to me and the nice depth and layered bass is more engaging than my other cans being more in weight and heft of the bass sound than being big in the amount of bass. Strong bass in the more accurate definition of the term instead of strong meaning more bass or overpowering. Hard to not enjoy these with good comfort and an engaging sound is great for their intended purpose. The isolation level is also a nice compromise amount that puts things more to the background even though not highly isolating the sound.

Also got caught in a bit of drizzle but didn't need to worry nor did I especially since it was fairly warm here.

They still probably need some burn in but they sound sweet to me. great for the stationary bike and was really good shooting some hoops and even chasing a racquetball around though getting more exuberant there did get the cans to start sliding around some. They have been passing all the tests so far. A really good option if you are in the market for this type of can but also just a solid can. better than the last attempt with the JVC XP50BT cans that had the wrong pads with too small an opening. Those are not as fun sounding as these and they were quite boring on the flat setting and too bassy for those pads with the more enjoyable bass setting. The Philips are smaller and lighter, have a better sound, have much easier to press buttons, and are half the price those were at the time. Those still get 4 stars on Amazon and are good cans but I like the Philips better.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #45,765 of 99,778
https://www.ear-phone-review.com/entry/Yinyoo_TRI-i3

There's a review here in Japanese, quite detailed review, just google translate.
Seems this reviewer says it is quite analytical sounding, and sounds more like a headphone than an IEM. U shaped.

There're some scattered amazon Japan reviews too on the TRI I3, rather equivocal though.

Hi, new user here. I received my TRI I3 a couple of days ago.
Getting around the initial fit/seal issues involved using the included black/red tips and only pushing them up the halfway ring on the nozzle. The tips' colouring and shape implies they are meant to be used this way (might post photo later).

These are easily the best sounding IEMs that I have owned - the others being Klipsch Image X10i, Philips Fidelio S2, CCA C12 and Ikko OH-1. These are also the first planar magnetics that I have tried.

They definitely have a sizable wow effect for me - the imaging, detail, soundstage and instrument separation are outstanding. Have not heard this in an IEM before. Sound signature / frequency response does sound like the image posted in Aliexpress - Harmanish, with boosted sub-bass, no midbass hump and it does not have the excessive upper mids present in so many chinese/asian IEMs.

The vocal clarity is also a first for me - I can hear reverbed, flanged, superimposed and/or distorted vocal tracks like never before.

I would agree that they sound like a headphone, although the soundstage is wider than on most closed headphones.
I wouldn't call it a U shape sound. The highs are not overemphasized or fatiguing.
However, they can make you want to turn the volume up, as they do not get markedly distorted or harsh at high volumes.
Perhaps that's why the manual includes the statement,
"Studies have shown that listening to pleasant music or noise, will cause hearing damage."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back