1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The discovery thread!

1. jant71
    Take it to the Sound Science forum or somewhere else please.

*There are Head-fi rules written down but there are also unwritten rules. Like when you have a solid thread don't crap in it. Discovery thread is a solid thread so...*

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Q Mass and peter123 like this.
  2. mbwilson111
    If you find posts to be inappropriate the report button is there for a reason... but you have to be ready to give a reason.

PhonoPhi likes this.
  3. SciOC
    The one thing I've always loved about wire issues is the fact that people spend all this money on the exterior wiring, but the interior wiring may be crap. In general, you're only as strong as your weakest link. I think many of the $10 offerings in chifi probably have very cheap wiring inside.

My TRN v60 is a nice set, but it's loud in terms of static and interference. I'd guess the internal wiring is pretty cheap in a lot of sets, probably at different prices to, not just in something like the $11 trn v60.

I'm generally a skeptic, I think most of us are, but I appreciate quality midfi cabling for assurance of appropriate materials and quality workmanship. While the blind tests may not show differences, I think we've all heard defective, poorly insulated or poorly soldered cables before...

For me, a $15 16 core nicehck Copper cable meets the criteria for me. For others, midfi is something that>$100.

4. kukkurovaca
    I would love it if there was more focus on EMI in cable discourse : )

5. SciOC
    Earlier in one of these threads we were discussing getting electric shocks from the dt6 and dt6 pro. Apparently this is due to the mmcx connector being improperly insulated from the metal housing. A positive of 2 pin design over mmcx....

Even without subjective quality, cables are important to the user experience. I understand the cable agnostic attitude, but there is a lot of complexity that we don't fully understand, yet. To say they don't affect subjective Quality is harder than a simple double blind study IMO.

LaughMoreDaily likes this.
  6. PhonoPhi
    What is "subjective quality"?
    I have more than 20 different extra cables and to me different colours of the wires matter for subjective enjoyment :)
    At the same time, when someone talks about "pure copper" vs. "silver plated" - it feels quite amusing given all the different silver-coloured cables.
    Surely, those double-blinded tests won't be passed and then all the outcries about "science" start :)
    If you do not want to hear about science, do live like Mennonites then- no electricity, no cables - I respect them very much.

7. jon parker
    In China 'Pure Copper' just means...its copper
    'Silver Plated' just means...usually a copper cable plated in tin.

Technically 'Pure Copper' should refer to Single Crystal Copper
    and Silver literally means Silver

The price difference between the two different versions will immediately indicate which is which!

LaughMoreDaily, zedbg and HungryPanda like this.
  8. PhonoPhi
    Some of the "silver plated" cables are indeed tin, some silver, some different silver alloys. "Single crystal" non-oxidized on the surface copper is more of a theoretical concept.
    Then there are different connections/junctions that are worse for the noise and internal wiring in IEMs that may become a limiting stage, as it was correctly pointed out recently.
    I agree that price largely correlates to the quality of materials, but then there is marketing, e.g. sending free samples to reviewers/supporters necessitates higher prices.

9. SciOC
    on the contrary, I'd like to know a lot more about the studies until I accept them on their face. I'm an audiophile with diagnosed OCD, not necessarily a good representative of the general study population. What was the source material, the DAC, the amp, the speakers, the room setup? How rigorous was the test? What amount of listening, the exact method of comparison and the time between the test?

I am skeptical of all sound related studies where self reporting is used (ie. The Harman Target is derived from the equal loudness curve of averages of reported ear sensitivity of the"general" population). To say all the science is settled is nonsense. Just ask someone like Crinacle how different his results can be depending on the setup of his rig.

Just ask my wife how different all my sets are (they all sound the same).

PhonoPhi likes this.
  10. Otto Motor
    I received the Venture Electronics Bonus IE today. Not that I am a fan of this company and their wild boss...at the time, I pitied the "reviewers" that spent a Masters thesis on the $5 Monk Plus earbuds, that sounded like...a $5 earbud...my two pairs ended up at a school in India (the poor children).

BUT, these Bonus IE really caught me: V-shaped, of course, but very very pleasantly implemented. A warm, clean image with a pleasant depth...based on a seductive bass somewhere between firm and wooly. And everything remained modest at the high end. I had so much fun, I stayed out longer shuffling snow in the early Western Canadian winter.

$33 CAD well spent (including fast shipping)....recommendation of co-blogger K. My compliments, VE: "Nothing special" extremely well done.

snow.jpg

11. superuser1
    I thank you on behalf of my country's poor children who received your heartfelt kindness! Gonna look at the BIE... thanks

LaughMoreDaily and Otto Motor like this.
  12. DannyBai
    I received the NX7 pro and with the silver filters, it sounds excellent. Blue is a bit dull and I didn’t try the red since it’s suppose to be like the stock NX7. I would say the pro is better then the original by a good margin. No tizziness at all. Nice balanced sound. I’d get this over the NX7 after having both. Sounds really, really nice.

13. Cevisi
    d4f977f.jpg

So flat

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Otto Motor likes this.
  14. zachmal
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect_(physics)

>The need for the "observer" to be conscious is not supported by scientific research, and has been pointed out as a misconception rooted in a poor understanding of the quantum wave function ψ and the quantum measurement process,[4][5][6] apparently being the generation of information at its most basic level that produces the effect.

I wonder how long they'll hold onto that part

in any case:

>In physics, the observer effect is the theory that the mere observation of a phenomenon inevitably changes that phenomenon. This is often the result of instruments that, by necessity, alter the state of what they measure in some manner.

https://www.scientificexploration.org/docs/9/jse_09_2_peoch.pdf Psychokinetic Action of Young Chicks on the Path of An Illuminated Source

in any case

everyone lives in their own reality bubble (or as someone put it "reality distortion field")

so various evidences might be "truth" ...

On topic

those Venture Electronics Bonus IE look *really* interesting

anything that needs to be considered in terms of ear fit with those ?

preferred ear tips ?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  15. Coyro
    You fiend. I almost decided I'm OK with my micropore and don't interested in the discount Jim had promised. :angry:

zachmal and DannyBai like this.