The discovery thread!
Sep 20, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #43,996 of 99,688
Thanks, that's good to know. I have also considered Roland's and es12 but not sure anymore. I'd also thought about legend X but they are very expensive for bass fun

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #43,997 of 99,688
Maybe I will buy one thing during 11:11. You can tell me if this should be it. I do consider this price to be expensive. I have so many nice things that I do not NEED to spend any more.

But....purple....

BTW I will get around to giving more listening time to the DB3. Just can't get the B40 out of my ears.

Try matching up your DB3 with a different cable. I know Panda got some cables so you need to snake his nicer cables and try it on your DB3. Might surprise you.

By the way that is the only thing that I will say is an absolute requirement on the DB3. Stock cable is a no no. Does absolutely nothing for the sound. Highly recommend anything with silver on it for the DB3.

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #43,998 of 99,688
I love my Solaris for every type of music I listen to. If I was to choose just one I would go with the Solaris. I seen some used ones go for much cheaper than retail but even at retail I think it is the one investment that will have you covered.

The one thing to watch out for is if you have smaller ears I seen a few guys having to sell theirs due to fit issues. If you have medium to larger ears it shouldn't be a problem.

The one thing about the Solaris, which I also own and love, is that they can be quite sensitive depending on the player.
They are fine out of my Sony players, and my IBasso DX120, but hiss out of the IBasso220/Amp 9 (with Nutube Vacuum Tubes) .

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #43,999 of 99,688
Thanks, that's good to know. I have also considered Roland's and es12 but not sure anymore. I'd also thought about legend X but they are very expensive for bass fun

Higher end stuff is a bit tricky as they not only cost so much but what happens if your not happy with them?. In general you want something that has more balance and has great dynamics in all ranges of the sound and the Solaris does that. I have no idea about the other earphones I am sure they all sound great. They should for how much they cost but you have to really look at the type of tuning they all have. I would read up as much as possible on them all and go from there.

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #44,000 of 99,688
Sep 20, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #44,001 of 99,688
Higher end stuff is a bit tricky as they not only cost so much but what happens if your not happy with them?. In general you want something that has more balance and has great dynamics in all ranges of the sound and the Solaris does that. I have no idea about the other earphones I am sure they all sound great. They should for how much they cost but you have to really look at the type of tuning they all have. I would read up as much as possible on them all and go from there.
That's good advice. I think it's why I like buying cheaper ones as it's not a big hit if I don't like them!

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #44,003 of 99,688
your sound enjoyment are predicated on the amount of drivers an IEM have?

Absolutely. If I buy an iem that's advertising it uses 4 BA, 2 BA + 1 DD, 2 DD, etc. and later find out that some of the drivers do nothing but add window dressing, of course I'm not going to "enjoy" it

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #44,004 of 99,688
I was being facetious and mildly joking. Please calm down.

the "are these chifi really using the number of drivers they claim" issue has been around ever since the KZ ZS5, it being brought up again is really stupid.

I also mentioned that I haven't been following the thread religiously.

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #44,005 of 99,688
It is easy to assume Chinese manufacturer is gonna cut corners. I mean it is more attractive to say your using 4 BAs instead of 3 or even 2 right? The honest truth is. There is simply too much competition among audio houses now a days to dupe anyone. Don't know if you guys have been keeping track of just how many new hybrids are out in the market now a days but hybrids are the new norm now you notice this? There are less and less single dynamics now a days. Can you guys imagine if there was such a thing as shutting down a few BAs to make it look like you have extra drivers. Lol. I wouldnt worry much about this.

Chifi manufacturers arent out to dupe anyone. Sure they have copied some designs but what they learned from manufacturing these earphones are the movement we see today.

They are getting better and better at it. And isn't this what we really want?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #44,006 of 99,688
Absolutely. If I buy an iem that's advertising it uses 4 BA, 2 BA + 1 DD, 2 DD, etc. and later find out that some of the drivers do nothing but add window dressing, of course I'm not going to "enjoy" it

uh, I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, so I'll just say outright what my opinion is:

people should pay for the sound+build+fit of IEMs, not the fancy marketing gimmicks they put out.

It doesn't matter that an IEM have 20 drivers if it sounds like ass (or maybe it uses some fancy tech like those electret thing that seems to generate mostly a "meh" response from people who tested them)

It is easy to assume Chinese manufacturer is gonna cut corners. I mean it is more attractive to say your using 4 BAs instead of 3 or even 2 right? To honest truth is. There is simply too much competition among audio houses now a days to dupe anyone. Don't know if you guys have been keeping track of just how many new hybrids are out in the market now a days but hybrids are the new norm now you notice this? There are less and less single dynamics now a days. Can you guys imagine if there was such a thing as shutting down a few BAs to make it look like you have extra drivers. Lol. I wouldnt worry much about this.

exactly. I mean, does people finding out after the fact that an IEM they thought had 4 drivers were really just 2 drivers somehow magically change the sound? yeah, its crappy on the part of company, but not much you can do about it

plus, drivers are cheap, they can cram in as many as they want, its a matter of getting them to sound good that's the issue.

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #44,007 of 99,688
Maybe I will buy one thing during 11:11. You can tell me if this should be it. I do consider this price to be expensive. I have so many nice things that I do not NEED to spend any more.

But....purple....

BTW I will get around to giving more listening time to the DB3. Just can't get the B40 out of my ears.
Is it possible to paint IEMs (without vents) any color ? I may try this with some iems that have a poor finish on them...
Think it's Great that you can be satisfied with the real Chi-Fi priced ones.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #44,008 of 99,688
uh, I'm not sure if this is a joke or not
I suppose the original point was that any fraud clearly affects your opinion on piece and seller. If your bride finds out her ring contains not a diamond but cubic zirconium - it will affect her opinion on the ring and you. Even if she can't see the difference herself.
It's not about ring or sound, it's about lie and deceit.

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #44,009 of 99,688
I suppose the original point was that any fraud clearly affects your opinion on piece and seller. If your bride finds out her ring contains not a diamond but cubic zirconium - it will affect her opinion on the ring and you. Even if she can't see the difference herself.

hence my opinion, adjust your expectations on purchasing since we are talking in an audio forum, where sound is the main subject (and quite possibly the main thing people here would want to pay for)

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #44,010 of 99,688
And then there is the translation problem to though. I always question tfz products because sometimes the English translation will say graphene one place and diamond in another or something else in another. The tfz no.3 says it's a diamond driver.... But who really knows?

And now I'm seeing these carbon nanotube, berrylium, and "biological/cotton" (Tri i4 for instance) drivers that don't seem to have the right name either. That one elsewhere says it's Al/Mg....

At least with BA drivers you can see that they are there on most builds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back