1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The discovery thread!

1. Otto Motor
    The excellent TRN V90 rock Asia right now...and my blog. Superb tuning.

TRN V90.jpg

baskingshark, HungryPanda and zachmal like this.
  2. Lurk650
    They are basically the standard ChiFi Foamies that come with most gear? I think I threw all of mine out but will double check, never used them. I think I'm starting to prefer foamies. I really like the Dekoni Bulletz but a bit expensive, better than Comply IMO, but they've gotten mixed in with other foamies so now I have no idea what's what lol.

3. assassin10000
    Those dekoni foams look exactly like the chifi ones to me. Have you compared them side by side?

The comply are shaped different and I can see the material porosity is different.

4. Dsnuts Contributor
    These Chi fi foams are extra squishy and have a silicone core in the middle which help retain the bass/ sonics of iems. I like these much better than complys. Complys end up just collecting dust for me. They are too stiff and loose something in the sound always for me so they get shelved. Not these foams. These foams have the best of both regular foam for comfort and isolation and sound of silicones since the core of them is silicone. Basically these are better than symbios for me since these are what the symbios with foams are trying to replicate sonically.

Plus they cost less than $10 for 20 pairs during sales period right now. Completely worth a set. Which will last you a long time. I have a set on my NX7 actually now and I get better isolation vs Spiral dots while retaining the bass end of the sound.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    courierdriver and zachmal like this.
  5. Dsnuts Contributor
    I own a set of Dekoni foams and the Chi fi foams are softer/ squishier by a margin resulting in better more conforming fit in my ears. They take on a similar look but another reason why I like these Chi fi ones is the opening on the TX400 TX500 knock offs are wider than both the larger Dekoni and the Complys. So basicaly if you guys like what the Spiral dots do for your earphones but wanted the better comfort and isolation of foams.

I am completely sold on these cheap foams out of China. Hurry before Trump raises foam taxes. lol.

courierdriver and peter123 like this.
  6. jant71
    Seems Bisonicr has a pair of the Hi7 in and the early impression sounds like an NX7 with bigger stage. Mid-high slight focus with great resolution/details but also a big soundstage.

activatorfly and zachmal like this.
  7. courierdriver
    These look an awful lot like Newbee foams. Have you tried Newbee foams, yet? I use them on all my iems atm. Wide bores, much more squishy and comfortable than Complys or Dekoni, and don't disintegrate like the latter two. Like a cross between foams and silicones...while retaining the bass of foams and the clarity of silicones...but without the itchiness of foams, or ear sweat itchiness that I always experience with silicones.

Dsnuts likes this.
  8. courierdriver
    The difference between the Newbee foams and Comply or Dekoni is like putting soft cotton in your ears, versus sticking a piece of a Grado earpad, or a scouring sponge that you would use to scrub your pots and pans into your ears. What would you prefer?

Toastybob likes this.
  9. Dsnuts Contributor
    I am in for a pair. I have a sneaking feeling that these are made by the same people that made the NX7. Should be interesting.

For guys that want to try the Hi7. AKaudio site has them for their surprise bag. If you include a cable or two like I did from AK site you will get even a better deal. I got 2 cables with the order and got an additional $5 from AK and another $8 from aliexpress. Who don't like discounts.

courierdriver and activatorfly like this.
  10. Dsnuts Contributor
    One last tip on shopping for cables on aliexpress. Some of the best cables for the bucks can be had right now on aliexpress. If you guys are curious about what cables to get. Look up the cheap cable thread for details but I can say it is worth shopping around. Each vendor has a variety of cables to buy be it balanced or single ended in any termination you need. However if you look at the main earphone manufacturer sites. You know which ones.

They all have similar cables but one shop will have the same cable your looking for. For much less than another. They are all the same cables. If they look like the cable your looking for then it is them..

So in other words. It is worth looking around on the various shops. I got cables from 2 different vendors as one carried a cable that was $5 cheaper than the other and visa versa. Happy shopping and you got 2 more days till end of sales.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  11. Otto Motor
    Nobody has asked me yet how the hyped NiceHCK NX7 compares to the not-yet hyped TRN V90...but, believe me, both trains will be colliding soon. Coming to Head-Fi and a blog near you: the Cage Match.

That’s how it works: we put two pieces in the cage, lock the door, and let them in there for a few days, let them cook for a bit…and only one of them gets to come out.

Our inaugural fight is between two currently hot budget iems: the NiceHCK NX7 (first batch of 2000 sold out) and its challenger, the up-and-coming TRN V90. We also throw a NiceHCK M6 in the cage with them, possibly as referee. Expect a fierce fight.

Is in the works and will come to you soon.

Cage Match_ NiceHCK NX7 Vs. TRN V90 • Audio Reviews-3.jpg

12. FastAndClean
    "Hot" is nice description of the NX7, they sure will make your ears hot on fire

superuser1 likes this.
  13. zachmal
    related to that - there are some insights on NX7 vs. TRN V90:

search for TRN V90 in google and open it in the translated form

https://www.hkepc.com/forum/ is the site

or open it via google chrome and use the in-built translation functionality

(translate.google.com text from Chinese)
    appears like NX7 is really a great success for chi-fi :clap:

HungryPanda and Otto Motor like this.
  14. Otto Motor
    There cannot be enough informed opinions on these two gladiators. But be careful: in my cage, each of them is modified/on steroids (micropore tape vs. Spiral Dots).

zachmal likes this.
  15. Otto Motor
    And now to the big guns: introducing the AME Custom Argent Universal Hybrid Electrostatic.

The Argent, universal fit, hybrid electrostatic IEM integrates four balanced armature drivers and two high frequency electrostatic tweeters for an immersive, well-rounded sound featuring warm lows and sparkling vocals.

• Dual Low Frequency Balanced Armature Drivers
    • Single Mid Frequency Balanced Armature Driver
    • Single High Frequency Balanced Armature Driver
    • Dual High and Super High Frequency Electrostatic Tweeters
    • Four Way Crossover Network
    • 6N OCC Pure Copper Silver Plated Cables
    Frequency Range: 10Hz - 80kHz (Theoretical)
    Sensitivity: 100db SPL (@1kHz)
    Impedance: 19Ω @ 1kHz (DCR 62Ω - 43Ω)

AME Argent.jpg

[​IMG]

UPDATE: I listened to them for some but not enough time though to make any definitive statements (of course do they sound good and I like the sound) - but I know it will be a challenge for me to do justice to them as I am not really familiar with the $1000 plus territory. A good opportunity for a reviewer to grow.

But I know one thing for sure: I am really glad this is a demo. I'd feel very uncomfortable pocketing them in exchange of...you know the rest. In this case, honesty could mean admitting that the reviewer may not be able to cover all bases...that's why the attentive reader should look at the broad body of reviews to form an opinion.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019