1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The discovery thread!

1. FreeWheelinAudioLuv
    would have loved to give my opinion of the NX7, but China Post is so damn confusing. Tracking says it arrived in san Fran days ago, as does USPS, but updates kind of froze 4-5 days ago, so now I have no idea where it is or what's going on? Why I hate ordering stuff from Ali. I prefer Amazon.

zachmal and courierdriver like this.
  2. FreeWheelinAudioLuv
    Been listening to my FW01's in bed lately. Such an awesome sound. Love the detail retrieval and 3D sound. Excellent timbre. Too bad the fit is almost useless and only good for stationary listening. The housings are just too big and bulky, the sound tubes are too short, and even with XL tips, getting a decent seal is achievable only if you don't plan to move around too much. Results may vary.

If not for the terrible fit, they'd possibly be my #1 earphone in my collection, but alas, bleck! I saw the new JVC woodies had that custom iem shape, and that would take care of the god awful fit, but they decided to crank up the cost by 4-5X more. I'll pass.

3. courierdriver
    I started out the night trying out my new RY4S 32 ohm mmcx, along with a banned brand silver plated 4 core 2.5 balanced mmcx cable. After a half hour of trying to get the RY4S to fit, I gave up and went to the NX7. I'm going on 4 hours now, and just love the details. I've thrown everything at it: Rhianna, Bob Marley, Sade, Krokus, Ratt, Robert Palmer...and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember at the moment. I just love the NX7! With the right tips, and a bit of EQ, this set is incredible. Not perfect, but immensely enjoyable. If I wanna really hear the lyrics and details in a song, these are my go to's. Never gonna give these up.

zachmal, ldo77 and Dsnuts like this.
  4. courierdriver
    I'll definitely be getting something. There's a bunch of stuff in my cart at the moment. Really want to get a nice balanced output DAP though. Writing this as I'm listening to Rhianna on my rig, using the NX7. I'm totally in love with the SQ of that set. Thanks bro, for putting me onto this. Any recs for a less than $300 dap, with a good decent powered balanced output? Right now, I'm torn between the Xduoo X20 and the Faudio FA2 DSD. The F-Audio is about $30 less, and it is easily moddable with different OP amps. I think the dac chip, is even swappable. The Xduoo X20 has a faster and more efficient UI, but isn't easily moddable. I really want a dedicated dap for music but can't afford something like a Fiio M11 or Shanling m5s. I need balanced output and a SD card slot/reader. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  5. courierdriver
    Guess my ears are mental too. Love the NX7

HungryPanda likes this.
  6. courierdriver
    Next time you order something from Aliexpress, choose Aliexpress Standard Shipping with tracking. It's usually free, but even when it's not, I still pay the extra 2-4 bucks extra. Everything I've ever ordered has arrived to me within 1.5-3 weeks...and no extra taxes or fees.

zachmal likes this.
  7. nraymond
    Aliexpresss standard shipping can be good, but it can vary. It’s a logistics service that abstracts the underlying carriers. I live on the east coast of the US and in the last year two packages shipped by AliExpress Standard Shipping never left China according to tracking, and after three months of waiting never reached me. I opened disputes and did ultimately get refunds. I have had better luck with ePacket, which is an integration with USPS, both in terms of speed and consistent delivery. Of course it all may vary where you are, but I thought I’d share my experience.

courierdriver likes this.
  8. Dsnuts Contributor
    It has been discontinued but I absolutely love my Shanling M3s. It is being sold on Musicteck new for $199. Both single ended and balanced is excellent. I read a report that the newer Shanling M2x has similarities to the Shanling M5s in sonic character and functionality. I found a slightly used shanling M5s for $340 here from Musicteck. https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...-music-player-like-new?variant=18617498075198

Don't know if they ship to Canada but you can most certainly find out. If you can stretch your money a bit.. Shanling M5s SQ is absolutely outstanding.. Very dynamic in sonics and has one of the absolute best balanced out..Good amount of power easy to use and is also very reliable/ bug free experience out of anything I own. Doesnt have android. quick to boot, quicker to use. Most importantly.. The sonics. Best sounding Shanling player by far.

9. courierdriver
    Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have an M5S in my Aliexpress cart at the moment but the price is still a bit high for me at $560+ CDN. The Musicteck price after currency conversion would probably be around the same, but I always end up paying extra for duties and taxes for anything shipped from the US, so I think I'll just wait a few more months for Aliexpress's 11/11 sale. That will give me time to save up a bit more $ and get something like the M5S or the M11. I'm in a bit of a quandary at the moment. My current setup of Samsung S8+, Fiio Q1MK2, linked via USB OTG cable; sounds so good and is so versatile (I also use the Q1MK2 as a dac/amp for my desktop computer, and as a line out to my powered desktop speakers), that it's hard to justify spending hundreds or a thousand dollars more on a DAP, when the SQ is already so great with my current setup. I just want to be able to let my smartphone be a smartphone again, but I think I might have to be a bit more patient, save some more money, and then see what the November sale brings.

Dsnuts, HungryPanda and DBaldock9 like this.
  10. courierdriver
    Ditto!

11. Animagus
    Hey guys!
    TSMR-6 and TSMR-5 are in the house! They look excellent and sound even better! :D

Here is a quick picture of my TSMR-6 custom shell. I think this is some outstanding craftsmanship work from the company. :ok_hand::raised_hands:

[​IMG]

12. courierdriver
    So, tonight I decided to do a comparison between the NICEHCK NX7 and the TFZ NO.3. Since I got the Nicehck 8 core SPC cable and the similar but pure copper Nicehck 8 core cable (both with a 2.5mm balanced termination), I decided to compare the TFZ with the SPC cable installed, to the NX7, with the pure copper installed. Source is my Samsung S8+ (using Flac and wma files from the SD card installed on that device, as well as my downloaded Spotify files/albums), connected via a Fiio CL06 data transfer cable to my Fiio Q1MK2 dac/amp. For this evening though, I spent most of my time listening to Spotify files. I started the night with the TFZ NO.3, listening to Rhianna (Dem Haters, Please don't stop the music, Umbrella, Pon de replay) with the No.3, and it sounded much better than before I swapped the cable. The bass/sub-bass is this iem's strong suit. It's got powerful impact, with a bit of warmth and nice slam. The mids are also quite clear, but are kinda recessed for me. Compared to the NX7 and the KZ ZS10 PRO, the mids are a step backwards. I prefer more forward mids, so this isn't my preferred presentation. With the treble, the No.3 seems kinda rolled off compared to the NX7 and ZS10 PRO. I find this set a bit lacking in higher end details. The SPC cable helps alot compared to before, but I'd be curious if a pure silver cable might help bring out more of the mids and treble. So far, imho the No.3 is a bass forward beast. I can appreciate it for that...but I want bass and mids and treble clarity all together. That's what the NX7 brings to the table. Along with the the tracks that I previously mentioned, I also listened to a pile of old school 80's heavy metal/glam metal, like Dio, Motley Crue, Black sabbath (the Dio years), and Krokus. The NX7 just kills the No.3 for tightness in the bass, as well as details in the mids and treble, imo. The No.3 is great for hip hop, rap, dance, edm...but for me, even with those genres, I still like my mids and highs to come across along with the bass. That's where the NX7 shines. It gives me the deep, tight, fast, articulate bass that I want; with all the higher frequency details easily discernable. Listening to the metal I enjoy, I'm hard to find fault with the NX7. These are detailed, articulate and fun...all at the same time.

Toastybob, zachmal, Dsnuts and 4 others like this.
  13. Waqar
    I just need to get myself a tsmr iem, looks like i May like them alot.

14. Animagus
    PM me if you need help in choosing. Happy to help! :D

15. jant71
    So, what about this new NX7 killer, the KBEAR Hi7...
    [​IMG]
    :)