The discovery thread!
Jun 11, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #42,526 of 99,743
Jun 11, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #42,527 of 99,743
The Dethonray DTR1 arrived a day or so ago and man I have to say first impressions are very positive. Detail level is on par with my Bifrost MB and power enough to drive the HD800 well. That's a lot to ask of a device the size of a deck of cards.

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #42,528 of 99,743
I have them, and they are nothing to write home about. Fit is very odd, and I've hardly used them because of it. Definitely requires tip rolling to ensure a secure fit and good seal.

Thank you! Last night I finally found a Japanese review that was also rather ‘meh’ on those ... pointing out that the performance depends strongly on cable / DAP / recording ...

Guess I am saving 17$ :wink:

Jun 12, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #42,529 of 99,743
I am presently hooked on this song by northern Irish chamber popsters, great for earphone testing. On that note, the whole album slipped into my personal picks whereas @loomisjohnson added a whole bunch to his list.

WARNING: MAY BE ADDICTIVE!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #42,530 of 99,743
DUNU TITAN 6 is out on aliexpress, with pure Beryllium driver and strong magnets (N52), the price right now is 140$, it will be interesting to know how they compare to top chi fi dynamics like Kanas Pro
HTB1m1ApbL1H3KVjSZFBq6zSMXXaf.jpg HTB13EAybG1s3KVjSZFAq6x_ZXXaB.jpg

Jun 12, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #42,531 of 99,743
DUNU TITAN 6 is out on aliexpress, with pure Beryllium driver and strong magnets (N52), the price right now is 140$, it will be interesting to know how they compare to top chi fi dynamics like Kanas Pro

I remember enjoying hearing the Yamaha NS-1000 Monitor speakers, with their Beryllium Midrange & Tweeter, back in the 1970s & '80s.
Here's a review, first published in 1976, where it mentions that they were ~$1,000 /pair - https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/yamaha_ns-1000_loudspeaker/index.html
It looks like they're available used, for prices ranging from $600 - $3,250 /pair.

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #42,532 of 99,743
My re(discovery) of the day are the Pioneer SE-CL331 = Fostex TE-02

I catched one of the last pair from Amazon, delivered today. Although long time discontinued there are still some of the Pioneers available - in pink!
Ok, the color...well, I am not a little girl...

But the sound ootb delivers what the review by HifiChris promises.
Awesome price/performance ratio if you re into neutral-natural presentations.
In total, not so much left to desire in this price bracket and far beyond - sonically, of course.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fostex-te-02-water-resistant-earbuds.21240/reviews

Jun 12, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #42,534 of 99,743

I catched one of the last pair from Amazon, delivered today. Although long time discontinued there are still some of the Pioneers available - in pink!

In total, not so much left to desire in this price bracket and far beyond - sonically, of course.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fostex-te-02-water-resistant-earbuds.21240/reviews

There is a white pair of Fostex TE-02 on eBay.uk (New) for 5£ for those interested... (not MY listing) ... just a friendly PSA

Jun 12, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #42,535 of 99,743

$131 on Penon and nicer in the black...
T6-700x700.jpg

Happy to see this over the "coffee" color. Also interested to see the opinion vs. the DLC competition. My King III is a beast so not sure if this can keep up.

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #42,536 of 99,743

As one of the only members here to give impressions of the Meizu LIVE, what made you sell or return them in the end? The current price is $137.01 from Meizu's official store on AliExpress.

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #42,537 of 99,743
As one of the only members here to give impressions of the Meizu LIVE, what made you sell or return them in the end? The current price is $137.01 from Meizu's official store on AliExpress.
It's been a while when I sold it. I also wrote some impressions here in the forum. Maybe the search function leads you to it.
If I remember correctly I sold it because I found it has a quite good but in the end a too safe and warm tuning. I like neutral tunings.

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #42,538 of 99,743
There is a white pair of Fostex TE-02 on eBay.uk (New) for 5£ for those interested... (not MY listing) ... just a friendly PSA
Gonzo. A classic nevertheless.

Oh...and these little $30 rascals are really good: Moondrop Crescent, single DD...warm, rich, pleasant sound [apparently approaching the Harman Target curve]...like a rather expensive earphone in need of some refinement of their technicalities. Can't find much wrong with these. Definitely competition to the **** but with a much more organic timbre.

P.S. I like cheap gems.
P.P.S. Still haggling with a German manufacturer over their pricing.
P.P.S. Entertaining reviews to follow.

IMG_0298 copy.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #42,540 of 99,743
So I finally got my mits on the NiceHCK F3 recently and I heard them for the first time this morning.

It is a damn shame as the build quality is stunning. We are talking CA levels of build here. But that lower treble spike brings on the fatigue. I agree with others that reviewed them about its flaws. It sounds great otherwise. Spacious clean balanced well but with that spike. Lol.

I will pile on the advice to retune them. Tis a damn shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back