The discovery thread!
Dec 2, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #40,366 of 98,010
Dec 3, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #40,367 of 98,010

Yes, agreed, I don't believe in this either - BUT some earphones may come with the completely wrong-impedance cable - such as the NiceHCK EP35.
And
dramatically different cable impedances [= output impedance] also alter the frequency responses - which can be measured and displayed in superimposed graphs.

Therefore, cable rolling statements should be substantiated with FR graphs. On the other hand, impedance is independent of cable cost and looks (e.g. braided). Therefore, a cheap cable may sound better than a very expensive cable - or there is no difference at all. Promoting expensive cables only is a first indication of a snake-
oil refinery. In any case, adding a $80 cable to a $100 earphone is cost-prohibitive. It is like dressing a horse in lingerie. One should be better off with a $180 earphone.

Don't forget your $2,000 power cords... :wink:
https://store.theevolutionofsound.com/products/jps-labs-kaptovator-ultra-high-performance-ac-cable

On subject - who has compared the various $150 - $200 earphones that have been mentioned in this thread lately?

Dec 3, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #40,368 of 98,010
This is a case of vendors on the express chewing off more than they can chew. I bet realistically they probably had a handful of DM6s. 11.11 day comes and people are trying to get a better deal and they are overwhelmed with orders.

I am actually encouraged with the sudden popularity of the DM6. This will only mean better earphones to come from the company and you bet they will come out with even better offerings.

i wrote Penon audio and they found me one more transparent green DMG for immediate shipping! its great to have some vendors who know their products, manufacturing chains and are truthful with customers. if the price is a little higher, its worth it to know they have your front and your back!!! they have some red/ blue DM6 in stock if anyone wants one right away also!

Dec 3, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #40,369 of 98,010
Yeah, that's what I've learned. Poor practice, I prefer getting the truth, no matter what.

The company announced on their Facebook page they are stopping new orders for 45 days to be able to deliver previous orders on time.
Penon Audio has a few DM6 in stock and ready for shipment, but limited color choices. (red/blue). i nabbed the last green one!

Dec 3, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #40,370 of 98,010
Whether it will actually look like that seems not confirmed but if they are the new dynamic flagship above the Kanas they are very interesting and are one at the top of my list to watch and perhaps try out.

Same here but im pretty sure its the new Dynamic flagship. I trust in Moondrop's amazing tuning. While they do not feature any speciality, its nice to see someone other than Ety appreciate a crowd that enjoys Harman curve. Is this the beginning of a revolution? Maybe, since after all, KPE are selling like hotcakes over at china.

Dec 3, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #40,371 of 98,010

Yes, agreed, I don't believe in this either - BUT some earphones may come with the completely wrong-impedance cable - such as the NiceHCK EP35.
And
dramatically different cable impedances [= output impedance] also alter the frequency responses - which can be measured and displayed in superimposed graphs.

Therefore, cable rolling statements should be substantiated with FR graphs. On the other hand, impedance is independent of cable cost and looks (e.g. braided). Therefore, a cheap cable may sound better than a very expensive cable - or there is no difference at all. Promoting expensive cables only is a first indication of a snake-
oil refinery. In any case, adding a $80 cable to a $100 earphone is cost-prohibitive. It is like dressing a horse in lingerie. One should be better off with a $180 earphone.

3 different cables ... one silver (supposedly pure) and two SPC all from AliExp.. tried on the NCM NC5 and all the cables made the iems sound different than the other. Source was the same, balanced out of the zx300. Do you think if i measured the FR all of them would be distinctly different as the sound?

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #40,372 of 98,010
Here are my quick first impressions and overview of the Tansio Mirai TSMR-3.

I was looking for a new capable IEM to serve as my daily drivers as well as rugged monitors for live gigs. I was advised to go for the Tansio Mirai TSMR-3 in the sub $200 category of IEMs enthusiastically by Prime Audio, Audio123 and Penon. 

Just reading the description impressed me as it uses all Knowles Balanced Armature drivers with 3 crossovers, 7 tuning switches and 12 frequency division components on both sides(USA and Japan HQ components). It has a low frequency sound tube channel combination, high frequency independent catheter plus damping (info taken from Penon's listing).

The fit and finish is amongst the best I've seen in this price range. The seam isn't visible and there aren't any bubbles in the body. The nozzle is finished in matte so that the eartips don't slip away as it isn't a traditional lip design.

It has 3 dip switches which lets you alter the sound signature a bit and it works well. The difference isn't night and day but a very tasteful addition of bass or treble with different combinations of the switches. I'd suggest everyone try different combinations to see which one they like best.

I must say that from the first listen, I was very comfortable with the sound signature. 
In the default 020 mode, everything sounds well balanced and natural. I've taken them for spin across various genres and everything sounds exactly like how I expect it to. Quantity of bass is enough and is impactful when it needs to be. Mids are well balanced across all frequencies. Treble clarity is very good and there aren't any intrusive high frequency boosts which makes for an enjoyable and fatigue free listening experience.

Soundstage, imaging and separation are all good. In modern music's busy mixes with guitars, synths, bass, drums and percussion, you’ll be able to hear everything clearly and positioned in the image accurately. Soundstage is of the kind which makes you feel a ‘part of the band’ rather than an ‘audience member in the crowd’.

I definitely recommend the TSMR-3 to people who would like a well built resin based IEM with a balanced tuning and an added advantage of tuning switches.

Attachments

• Tansio Mirai.jpeg
    Tansio Mirai.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 0
Dec 3, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #40,373 of 98,010
1543825268953.jpg

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #40,374 of 98,010
3 different cables ... one silver (supposedly pure) and two SPC all from AliExp.. tried on the NCM NC5 and all the cables made the iems sound different than the other. Source was the same, balanced out of the zx300. Do you think if i measured the FR all of them would be distinctly different as the sound?
Should be put to test. If the sound changes with cable, it is likely [but not 100% sure] that the frequency response has changed, too. I have such a case with the NiceHCK EP35 and will run some measurements.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #40,375 of 98,010
Are you really measuring with a 16bit/48kHz limited mp3? lol

Try a lossless 192kHz (or even 96kHz) at least. No DAC will throw a signal above 20kHz, from a 48kHz container. It just doesn't work like that.

[edit]

Here is a link to a post about the LG V series phones, their HiRes DAC, and basically some measurements/graphs showing the extension of the DAC. Basically, it was about finding out which player utilizes the HiRes DAC. And keep in mind that that's a PHONE we are talking about. lol I'm sure a DAP (especially a fancy one with DSD support) can show even better results (although 40kHz is the limit for any gear I believe, and hence the HiRes standart).

Whether all of this means we humans can catch a difference, it's a whole different topic, that I would be happy to share my thoughts about (especially on a forum such as this :D), but this is not the best thread for that [hint: yes, it does make a difference].

I agree with you about I use MP3, but you can see in the image a 19kHz pure tone played with Z3 produces bad measure with fluke. If I put this same file with other DAP works fine, even more higher, as you can see with the second image.
I make these pure tones with Audacity and I have exported it to wav so as not to lose quality as could happen. Once I experimented with them I generated them again in MP3 320kbps to reduce size.
I know I can not generate files over 20kHz with MP3. I'm electronic, I know the theorem of Nyquist-Shannon :grin:

But the next day that I bring home the Fluke oscilloscope I will try higher frequencies with higher resolution FLAC 96kHz.

On the other hand, amplifiers do have bandwidths higher than 40kHz. As you can see for example here:

https://www.fiio.com/q1mkii_parameters

On the other hand, today I got the 8-core TRN cable and I used it for the NiceHCK M6: @Dsnuts you are absolutely right, the stock cable must not be very good because for the first time after changing a cable I could clearly differentiate the increase in sound quality.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #40,377 of 98,010
Hey I don't make this stuff up. Lol. Ya the stock cable is by far the most limiting factor on the M6 and not by a little either.
I'll test it. I had ordered another (copper) cable. My m6 is still stuck in the Canadian postal/coastal defence. Which $20 SPC cable did you recommend - can't find a link.

I am interested in the fake claim by BGVP. If they really incorporated Knowles drivers and XXXX used some fly-by-night ones, then the fly-by-night drivers must be pretty darn good. And since the price of the two iems is question is essentially identical, does it mean the fly-by-night drivers are expensive or that XXXX is creaming off big?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #40,378 of 98,010
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #40,379 of 98,010
Dec 3, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #40,380 of 98,010
Thanks. I had never heard of 8 core or 16 core - is this another placebo?

It's only the number of cables... :wink: To increase the cross-section without increasing rigidity, more individual cables than not all in one are usually put together.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back