The discovery thread!
Oct 23, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #33,946 of 99,713
Oct 23, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #33,947 of 99,713
I own that aliexpress cable and I have to say it is the best cable yet I have used in single ended with the DM5. Pure copper being a close second. Sound characteristics is similar to pure copper but with added element of the silver coating in between the coppers which is supposed to give off a touch more treble extension and clarity. I would the main difference is the sound is it gives off a bit more spacious type sound over just a pure copper one.

Never tried the Penenaudio cable.

Oct 23, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #33,948 of 99,713
I own that aliexpress cable and I have to say it is the best cable yet I have used in single ended with the DM5. Pure copper being a close second. Sound characteristics is similar to pure copper but with added element of the silver coating in between the coppers which is supposed to give off a touch more treble extension and clarity. I would the main difference is the sound is it gives off a bit more spacious type sound over just a pure copper one.

Never tried the Penenaudio cable.
Funny thing is I have actually been looking at a ton of cables today, stuff in the $100+ range that is USA Made. I read that any purity over 5N is actually not humanly possible to detect so that 7N is complete BS, not saying the cable is terrible, just food for thought.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #33,949 of 99,713
Oh yea been discovering some excellent cheaper cables lately. That Aliexpress hybrid cable does influence the sound out of the DM5 in the most positive way. I am sure higher end cables make a difference and influence sound a bit more so but at what point does one realize it makes more sense to actually buy a new phone a source or even music over expensive cables.

I recently bought a $150 Alo pure silver interconnect. Not for $150 I mind you but I actually got it for a song at $25 from a fellow headfier who wanted to get rid of it. The same interconnect is on Alo audio site for $150. I have been using it to connect my X3ii to my E12A and I have to be honest and say I can't tell the difference between a Hybrid interconnect I bought about a month ago for $30 vs this $150 Alo cable. This
71ptR9CQwyL._SL1500_.jpg

VS
sxc22-mini2mini-800x800-640x800.jpg
No difference in sound what so ever. LOl.

Which proves my point. For cables. Sure get yourself a nice cable for your earphones @$30, $40, $50 even a $100 but beyond that? What yous guys do with your cash is up to yous.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #33,950 of 99,713
Oct 24, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #33,951 of 99,713
Anyone here try the cables being offered by Venture Electronics?

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #33,952 of 99,713
Yes, have bought 3 cables from them. Top notch esp for the price. Only downside is long wait time so I went with Triton Audio Cables, more expensive but way less wait time and I would like to believe higher quality materials, not to say that VE is low quality

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #33,953 of 99,713
Yes, have bought 3 cables from them. Top notch esp for the price. Only downside is long wait time so I went with Triton Audio Cables, more expensive but way less wait time and I would like to believe higher quality materials, not to say that VE is low quality

My Asura balanced plug was grounded out on the housing (easy DIY fix), but I have the $10 interconnect that seems well made and does the job, and their cheapo balanced adapters have been lifesavers since I made the horrible mistake of going balanced.

Can +1 for Triton too, reasonable prices for US based custom cables.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #33,954 of 99,713

Yeah, I've got quite a few cables and even more adapters from them. They're all very nice and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with them. That being said I typically don't hear any difference with cables so I've primarily gotten them for comfort/looks and especially for balanced connection. These days I always buy balanced cables for my full size headphones (if the headphones accept it) and just throw on a adapter for single ended usage.....

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #33,955 of 99,713
Thank you everyone you have been very helpful.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #33,956 of 99,713
Okay Dsnuts, are you letting me down buddy (or did I miss it)? Where is your review of the Monoprice M300 planar earphones for like $160? Anyone heard them (burned in of course)? Should I go for it? Hello fellas!! Happy listening.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #33,957 of 99,713
@ericp10 I have been trying to get in touch with you to ask how the dz 7 are but alas my impatience got the better of me and they are on their way already! :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #33,958 of 99,713
Okay Dsnuts, are you letting me down buddy (or did I miss it)? Where is your review of the Monoprice M300 planar earphones for like $160? Anyone heard them (burned in of course)? Should I go for it? Hello fellas!! Happy listening.

Been eyeing that thread. The bad news is QC issues. Early reports are the ear clips are not comfy and they break easily. So it looks like Monoprice has to revamp the clips or do something as they are getting a lot of returns. Otherwise I would have been all over it.
Some like the sound but reports are the mids are a bit wonky. It should sound nice for that price but QS issues are definitely a red flag.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #33,959 of 99,713
@ericp10 I have been trying to get in touch with you to ask how the dz 7 are but alas my impatience got the better of me and they are on their way already! :wink:

I'm sorry superuser1, but even if it indicates i'm online, I'm usually not on Head-Fi as much anymore due to work and some personal family issues. But.... I think you did a good thing for yourself in going ahead and purchasing those iems. They are still one of my favorite out of the many I own, and a go to of mine. Burn them in!! Find the right tips. Bass will be there with the right fit, but they are definitely a mid-centric earphone. Lots of details and instrument separation the mids. Not the heaviest earphone I have in sound weight, but not thin by any accounts. I still love them. Let me know what you think after about 60 hours of burn in (really need a good 150 hours though to really come to life). And upgrade to a good copper cable too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back