The discovery thread!
Sep 19, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #33,573 of 99,758
OK DS, Jant71, or anyome else that wants to chime in, I need your input.

I just got a shiny new LG V20 phone and am enjoying the heck out of it. So I threw my MDR Z7 on it and was reminded just how damned good they sound when driven half decently.

Unfortunately this just reminded me of my dead XBA Z5 which broke after I stupidly switched the MMCX cable so I could use them on my phone causing the left side to fail.

So DS may more than anyone be able to speak on this. I have a pair of 1More Quads which have a somewhat similar 3D presentation but they just don' t have that glorious bass that goes so low while not coloring the mids to much and just dont have the same treble.

So is there any IEM that can give me the bass, mids, treble and 3D sound stage I am craving or at least is closer to the Z5 without breaking the bank, or has the Z5 simply spoiled me from truly enjoying anything else? I had 2 Z5 break so really don't want to spend that kind of money on such a fragile product...

To be honest I hate MMCX because they always seem to fail. But if I am not spending to much I will live with type of connector in an IEM.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #33,574 of 99,758

I just got a shiny new LG V20 phone and am enjoying the heck out of it. So I threw my MDR Z7 on it and was reminded just how damned good they sound when driven half decently.

Unfortunately this just reminded me of my dead XBA Z5 which broke after I stupidly switched the MMCX cable so I could use them on my phone causing the left side to fail.

So DS may more than anyone be able to speak on this. I have a pair of 1More Quads which have a somewhat similar 3D presentation but they just don' t have that glorious bass that goes so low while not coloring the mids to much and just dont have the same treble.

So is there any IEM that can give me the bass, mids, treble and 3D sound stage I am craving or at least is closer to the Z5 without breaking the bank, or has the Z5 simply spoiled me from truly enjoying anything else? I had 2 Z5 break so really don't want to spend that kind of money on such a fragile product...

To be honest I hate MMCX because they always seem to fail. But if I am not spending to much I will live with type of connector in an IEM.
mdr-ex7550

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #33,576 of 99,758
To be honest if I could get the midrange and treble of the 7550 and the bass and Z5 plus the Z5 3D sound stage I might go back down the 7550 route. I also really want an IEM with a mic and buttons...

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #33,578 of 99,758
for the money spent on the Z5s you could have just went all the way and went CIEM :S

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #33,579 of 99,758
I couldn't find a cable like that back when I owned my pair. I stupidly sold them and "upgraded" to the EX1000 which I could not stand.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #33,580 of 99,758
for the money spent on the Z5s you could have just went all the way and went CIEM :S
I hear you believe me! But I am not a fan of CIEM's due to convenience and ease of use. The Z5 really was damned near perfect sonically for me.

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #33,581 of 99,758
Sure wish Sony had just continued to use the 7550 connector and just came out with some upgrade cable options like the balanced and smart phone cables.

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #33,582 of 99,758
CIEMs have their quirks but the comfort and ease of use is unparalleled at least in my use of them plus that sound quality though

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #33,584 of 99,758

Gonna have to ponder on this one. As you already know I am smitten with these earphones. LOOK at this design.

HTB1iI.ogEl7MKJjSZFDq6yOEpXak.jpg

Sure it is another mmcx connector. I haven't had a single issue with it and I must have connected and disconnected at least 20 different times with no issues. It is the sound that these throw out that is as nice as this design. So another find about the DM5. Guys that own these try out your Sony hybrid tips. Even better if you have the MH1C tips.

Just wondering if you have experience with whizzer A15? Vs dm5? Thanks

Sorry my friend I hand pick stuff now a days. Don't have as many newer Chi fi stuff as some of the others on the Chi fi threads. Don't even know what as Whizzer A15 is unfortunately.

Sep 20, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #33,585 of 99,758

You can look at the LZ Big Dipper perhaps. CKR bass is always an excellent option and "iS" American version do have mic. I think that the CKR100 may be overpriced so CKR90 plus a cable of your choice may be better. DM5 is interesting and also find out why B9 scrambler seems to like the T2 better than DM5 a bit I think.

Of course, are you preferring over ear or dynamic driver etc.? Any stipulations?? Not that an armature phone can't get that bass(reach may be a concern but not quality) or a CKR can be over ear if flipped.

It will come. We can all narrow in on it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back