The discovery thread!
Jan 2, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #34,786 of 99,778
Just got the Advanced Sound S2000 ($19.99 on Massdrop), which I bought on a lark. Pretty impressive on first listen, with one of the most comfortable over-ear fits I've encountered, tho the stock tips don't seal well. Not detail monsters, but imaging is really, really good.

Jan 2, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #34,787 of 99,778
Happy New Years to everyone in the discovery thread.

I think for me one of the bigger surprises from recent purchases was the Rhymos earphones I got. I have them in my ears and I know there is a newer updated version that recently came out with 7 BAs called the SD7 plus. The price was right. I ended up getting them. Will post some impressions of how they compare to my white hybrids. Starting 2018 with a bang!

HTB1R_mCcZbI8KJjy1zdq6ze1VXaX.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #34,788 of 99,778
Happy New Years to everyone in the discovery thread.

I think for me one of the bigger surprises from recent purchases was the Rhymos earphones I got. I have them in my ears and I know there is a newer updated version that recently came out with 7 BAs called the SD7. The price was right. I ended up getting them. Will post some impressions of how they compare to my white hybrids. Starting 2018 with a bang!
Happy New Year and indeed it is a bang! Hope this year brings in many more iems than the last :wink:

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #34,790 of 99,778
I just received the Rhythmos Super SD7 and I'm sure it is 4 BA & 1 DD in each earpiece
Lol just Googled and you are correct. Not sure where Ds got 7BA from

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #34,791 of 99,778
Its probably this one. It says 7 BAs

HERE

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #34,796 of 99,778
Nice SD7 Plus, no DD driver then
I don't think the SD6 has any dynamic drivers either. I maybe totally wrong but i have a strong feeling it has 6 BAs.

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #34,797 of 99,778
Ya the whole Rhthmos naming What the hybrid should be called SD5 due to how many drivers. SD6 for the 6 BA black one and SD7 for the new 7 driver BA earphones. Or that would make sense.

@HungryPanda Burn in my friend. You will be able to tell the BAs are compressed on open listen. Don't bother with that Janky cable either. I am sure you have plenty of nicer cables to match with them.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #34,798 of 99,778
HTB1l89ddHYI8KJjy0Faq6zAiVXaU.jpg

I assume the SD7 plus is clearly V shaped signature. But I actually want a V shaped signature for an all BA earphone due to the weakness BAs have in the bass department.
Should be interesting to see how these turn out.

Jan 2, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #34,799 of 99,778
HTB1l89ddHYI8KJjy0Faq6zAiVXaU.jpg

I assume the SD7 plus is clearly V shaped signature. But I actually want a V shaped signature for an all BA earphone due to the weakness BAs have in the bass department.
Should be interesting to see how these turn out.

Someone correct me if I am terribly wrong:
To me, looks more like a mild W shape with ok-ish treble extension (although it will most likely have more than it appears on the graph). I really like this graph, at first it appears frantic but look at the Y, everything up to 10kHz is within 10db of difference - respectable honestly. They could've used a different scale for Y and this would look much much flatter. I'd go as far as saying that this is just a bit more exciting than something flat in the bass, vocals might sound ever so slightly thinner than normal but it could improve perception of clarity.
E: I actually just remembered that I have an IEM with similar 2k bump, HiFiMAN Re-400 - and this one has a very healthy sounding mid-range so I wouldn't worry a single bit.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #34,800 of 99,778
Based on the SD7 hybrid which I am listening to as I type. And going off of the sound signature that are on these hybrids. The mids are actually done really well on these and has a layering/ imagery that a lot of my other earphones lack. One thing that graph doesn't show is how dimensional the sound is. Something that I absolutely love about the SD7. Especially in balanced mode. I think in single mode the mids arent as forward but sound is still very dimensional. In fact I would take these SD7 hybrids over the more expensive one more quad which try to do the exact same thing but does not have the same treble extension or the bass extension of the SD7 hybrids. It is everything the one more quad should have been imo.

I like that the bass on the all BA SD7 plus is emphasized. A bit more oomph on an all BA earphone is not a bad thing. I am sure it will not have the same impact as the hybrid SD7 but should make for a solid bass end. If that graph is true it looks like it has minimal roll off in the sub bass which is excellent for an all BA earphone. One of the remarks on the earphone on Aliexpress is that it has good bass. Which I would imagine looking at that graph.

Another interesting aspect of the SD7 hybrids. I mentioned in an earlier post that I was using complys to soften the highs. Don't know what happened between then and now but I am now using silicones for them and the highs are just fine. Looks like I underestimated the burn in for the earphones a bit. They do require some time for the sound to get right it seems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back