The discovery thread!
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #41,927 of 99,783
In having more than one Piezo in the review queue at the moment. I am noticing a couple things hold true on all of them.

1.) They are more power hungry than the specs would suggest. All show low impedance and high sensitivity specs, and yet still consume at least 25% more power to really open up than others with the same ratings.
2.) Without that additional power, coherency suffers to some degree on all of them and worse on some than others. The **** likes the Opus#1s on high gain while the N3 really prefers it paired to the xCan to really do its best work, (Which is still nothing special as others have already noted).

Without a dynamic driver in the system, you should read an open with your Ohmmeter. Since Piezo elements are very high impedance, they require a pretty good amount of Voltage to operate.
From Wikipedia -
"A piezo (or piezo-electric) tweeter contains a piezoelectric crystal coupled to a mechanical diaphragm. An audio signal is applied to the crystal, which responds by flexing in proportion to the voltage applied across the crystal's surfaces, thus converting electrical energy into mechanical.

The conversion of electrical pulses to mechanical vibrations and the conversion of returned mechanical vibrations back into electrical energy is the basis for ultrasonic testing. The active element is the heart of the transducer as it converts the electrical energy to acoustic energy, and vice versa. The active element is basically a piece of polarized material (i.e. some parts of the molecule are positively charged, while other parts of the molecule are negatively charged) with electrodes attached to two of its opposite faces. When an electric field is applied across the material, the polarized molecules will align themselves with the electric field, resulting in induced dipoles within the molecular or crystal structure of the material. This alignment of molecules will cause the material to change dimensions. This phenomenon is known as electrostriction. In addition, a permanently polarized material such as quartz(SiO2) or barium titanate (BaTiO3) will produce an electric field when the material changes dimensions as a result of an imposed mechanical force. This phenomenon is known as the piezoelectric effect."

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #41,928 of 99,783
Without a dynamic driver in the system, you should read an open with your Ohmmeter. Since Piezo elements are very high impedance, they require a pretty good amount of Voltage to operate.
From Wikipedia -
"A piezo (or piezo-electric) tweeter contains a piezoelectric crystal coupled to a mechanical diaphragm. An audio signal is applied to the crystal, which responds by flexing in proportion to the voltage applied across the crystal's surfaces, thus converting electrical energy into mechanical.

The conversion of electrical pulses to mechanical vibrations and the conversion of returned mechanical vibrations back into electrical energy is the basis for ultrasonic testing. The active element is the heart of the transducer as it converts the electrical energy to acoustic energy, and vice versa. The active element is basically a piece of polarized material (i.e. some parts of the molecule are positively charged, while other parts of the molecule are negatively charged) with electrodes attached to two of its opposite faces. When an electric field is applied across the material, the polarized molecules will align themselves with the electric field, resulting in induced dipoles within the molecular or crystal structure of the material. This alignment of molecules will cause the material to change dimensions. This phenomenon is known as electrostriction. In addition, a permanently polarized material such as quartz(SiO2) or barium titanate (BaTiO3) will produce an electric field when the material changes dimensions as a result of an imposed mechanical force. This phenomenon is known as the piezoelectric effect."
very interesting, are they similar to electret drivers?

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #41,930 of 99,783
From Wikipedia -

Yep, really the only surprise to me was how low the impedance listed on the packaging is.

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #41,931 of 99,783
very interesting, are they similar to electret drivers?

Well, I'm familiar with electret microphones, and that they're like capacitors.
From Wikipedia -
"There is a similarity between an electret and the dielectric layer used in capacitors; the difference is that dielectrics in capacitors have an induced polarisation that is only transient, dependent on the potential applied on the dielectric, while dielectrics with electret properties exhibit quasi-permanent charge storage or dipole polarisation in addition. Some materials also display ferroelectricity; i.e. they react to the external fields with a hysteresis of the polarisation; ferro-electrics can retain the polarisation permanently because they are in thermo-dynamic equilibrium, and are used in ferroelectric capacitors. Although electrets are only in a metastable state, those fashioned from very low leakage materials can retain excess charge or polarisation for many years. An electret microphone is a type of condenser microphone that eliminates the need for a power supply by using a permanently charged material."
From https://www.neumann.com/homestudio/en/what-is-a-condenser-microphone
"HOW A CONDENSER MICROPHONE WORKS
The British call them “capacitor microphones” – and for a reason, too. You may remember from physics class that a capacitor is essentially two metal plates in close proximity. The closer they are, the higher the capacitance.

A condenser capsule is constructed similarly. It consists of a thin membrane in close proximity to a solid metal plate. The membrane or diaphragm, as it is often called, must be electrically conductive, at least on its surface. The most common material is gold-sputtered mylar, but some (mostly older) models employ an extremely thin metal foil.

When sound waves hit the diaphragm, it moves back and forth relative to the solid backplate. In other words, the distance between the two capacitor plates changes. As a result, the capacitance changes to the rhythm of the sound waves. Voilà, we have converted sound into an electrical signal."

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #41,932 of 99,783
On a lighter note…
Did a search for "FR12" on AE just to see what you guys were talking about. This was one of the results: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fr1...-rectal-therapy-insufflation/32915229811.html
I can only imagine what the SQ of that is
Just catching up on this end (sorry for the pun - totally unintentional, I’m sure) of the thread and saw this. Not sure what that link points to, but there’s no way I am clicking it... who knows what kind of stuff will come up in the future when I go to Ali...!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #41,933 of 99,783
any issues with iPhones?
The N3 performs slightly better with an amp, but the iphone SE principally drives it [the recommended cut-off is 50 ohms, the N3 is 55 ohms]. My question to the manufacturer is: why producing a low-priced earphone that needs expensive additional equipment...to still sound underwhelming.

The powerful Fiio E12 Montblanc amp didn't add much at all.

Looking forward to the other piezo frequently discussed here.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #41,934 of 99,783
Just noticed now I can select ISN S8 cable instead of BGVP cables when ordering from Penon Audio. Tried My friends DM6 with ISN S8 and treble is much smoother. I am waiting for the Red and Blue version. Does anyone have this Red and Blue edition?

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #41,935 of 99,783
Here is my review of the Tansio Mirai TSMR-3 PRO.

Let me know how you like it and if I can answer any questions for you. Happy to help! :D

Main 4.jpg Main 1.jpg Main 3.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #41,936 of 99,783
LZ Z04A Bio-cellylose Driver In-ear Earphone with Mic

Model: LZ-Z04A
Driver: dynamic driver. Bio-cellulose diaphragms
Frequency response: 15Hz-25KHz
Impedance: 16Ω
Sensitivity: 108dB
Cable: 1.3m
Connector:MMCX
Plug:3.5mm single-ended stereo plug with Mic
Designed according to CTIA IECQ standard
SRP:USD $45.00
55594303_784449478601988_5594025346321088512_n.jpg

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #41,937 of 99,783
So I personnaly confirm that IKKO OH1 are incredible earphones, sound and construction hit above its price range IMO

Here, its really about lower end lively and well resolve presentation, look like I never listen to bass line the way I do with OH1, every single bass note have precise rendering and weighty presence (not in a boomy way).

This and the great imaging and overall smooth treble make them stand appart. I prefer them over BGVP DMG wich feel more congested, yet more detailed as well.

My review is up on headfi and on No BS Audiophile.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #41,938 of 99,783
So I personnaly confirm that IKKO OH1 are incredible earphones, sound and construction hit above its price range IMO

Here, its really about lower end lively and well resolve presentation, look like I never listen to bass line the way I do with OH1, every single bass note have precise rendering and weighty presence (not in a boomy way).

This and the great imaging and overall smooth treble make them stand appart. I prefer them over BGVP DMG wich feel more congested, yet more detailed as well.

My review is up on headfi and on No BS Audiophile.
I linked to your blog from mine and hope both remain BS-free!

P.S. can't find a price for the ikko...the very first thing everybody is interested in!

UPDATE: I was told the price belongs to the specs...that's where you find my price tags...

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #41,939 of 99,783
Am I the only one who likes to see price and at least one link to a retailer in reviews I read?

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #41,940 of 99,783
LZ Z04A Bio-cellylose Driver In-ear Earphone with Mic

Model: LZ-Z04A
Driver: dynamic driver. Bio-cellulose diaphragms
Frequency response: 15Hz-25KHz
Impedance: 16Ω
Sensitivity: 108dB
Cable: 1.3m
Connector:MMCX
Plug:3.5mm single-ended stereo plug with Mic
Designed according to CTIA IECQ standard
SRP:USD $45.00