The discovery thread!
Nov 22, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #39,871 of 99,334
So on the topic of the DMGs. It seems the M6 sold on NiceHCK is just a rebadging. Not a 100% certain but it seems that way. I asked Jim about them but he is keeping tight lip on them for some reason. Cant tell industry secrets he says. Lol. It is clear to see they are made by the same factory as the DMGs. Down to the graph provided. Same filters same exact looks and even the cable you can tell while different in color is probably the same thing.

HTB1gAjmXOfrK1RjSspbq6A4pFXaW.jpg

HTB1CwboXIfrK1RkSmLyq6xGApXar.jpg

a review on the M6, seems it is more or less similar (minor differences in mid-high range, vocals?, more refined low-mid range)
http://bisonicr.ldblog.jp/archives/55734135.html

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #39,873 of 99,334
Anyone else getting the toneking bl1 tomorrow?

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #39,874 of 99,334
Anyone else getting the toneking bl1 tomorrow?
I am tempted however after my recent encounter with the NCM NC5v2 i am smitten and cant think of anything else.

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #39,875 of 99,334
I am tempted however after my recent encounter with the NCM NC5v2 i am smitten and cant think of anything else.

I should probably just buy the dm6, but, I'm too curious. Just wish there was more reviews of them. Oh well

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #39,877 of 99,334
Flash Sale on Massdrop:
BGVP DMG IEM for $99.99 ships 12/18 though...

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/bgvp-dmg-iem

Darn, I would have bought this instead of the M6 just to be sure. The M6 is nice, I will just have to wait for someone to compare directly to DMG to know if it is similar enough. Posted this in another thread but thought others might find it semi useful. My mic is not calibrated and I use a 8mm tube as my coupler.

Nicehck M6 L-R.png

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #39,878 of 99,334
Looking for an IEM upgrade, preferred sound sig is mid-centric or neutral with good mid-bass; currently looking at these, which ones the best?
Campfire Comet, BGVP DM6 or Toneking T4?

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #39,879 of 99,334

I know everything Arjen Lucassen does inside out and it hit me like a hammer this morning.
Changed tips to spiral dots: better
Changed cable back to stock: even better
But I can't unhear the cheapness in the highhats and snare drums now, gonna leave them for a few hours with some proper loud metal on.

Didn't know that guy before but the video reminded me somehow of Within Temptation, except not as good. I had a weird feeling of "over the topness" in that song with instruments that didn't really fit together.
On a positive note it made me think of Within Temptation and I am now listening to Black Symphony one of their live album. Still freaking unbelievable after all these years.
That's female vocal right there to test your DM6...

It's on Tidal, listen to it (especially the female duet on "Somewhere").

Nov 23, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #39,880 of 99,334
Didn't know that guy before but the video reminded me somehow of Within Temptation, except not as good. I had a weird feeling of "over the topness" in that song with instruments that didn't really fit together.
On a positive note it made me think of Within Temptation and I am now listening to Black Symphony one of their live album. Still freaking unbelievable after all these years.
That's female vocal right there to test your DM6...

It's on Tidal, listen to it (especially the female duet on "Somewhere").

Arjen needs to be over the top with everything otherwise it's not Arjen :)
The thing is, with the dm6 the highhats and snares sound like a very compressed MP3 whole the rest is flac quality. I checked it at home, playing from my phone to a pair of beyerdynamic t5p and I plugged in the dm6 into my homesystem (a audio-gd r2r-1/nfb-1 stack).
Source for both setups is a flac file I created myself from the original CD. In both cases the dm6 had that weird compressed feeling while the t5p showed no issues there.
I changed symbio tips to spiral dots and that helped, changed westone cable to stock silver cable and that helped (way less btw), but especially in that album I heard that issue.
I like the dm6 alot, but issues with my beloved Ayreon/star one/ambeon/gentle storm/Arjen mastermind is a deal-breaker for me. Both the dm6 and me need a bit more burn in, though I might just have to sell it for this reason.

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #39,881 of 99,334

I know everything Arjen Lucassen does inside out and it hit me like a hammer this morning.
Changed tips to spiral dots: better
Changed cable back to stock: even better
But I can't unhear the cheapness in the highhats and snare drums now, gonna leave them for a few hours with some proper loud metal on.

i think i hear it, but just to be certain: do you mean that the snare and hihats sounded like someone put a hi pass filter on them and boosted a sharp eq around 3KHZ (making the sound tinny and plasticky?

to be honest my etys also exhibit that similar plasticky tone, but they do it across the spectrum, while the DM6 snare on that song sounded off because the other frequency is fat and full sounding.

i tried more tip rolling after you pointed this out, and this might work too for you: try using a narrow bore eartips instead. the Sony eartips work, but also warms up the midbass a bit and mellowed the treble, which i don't like. i settle with Ortofon tips instead:it makes the snare fuller, and also make the overall mid section more forward while retaining the treble crispness

Nov 23, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #39,883 of 99,334
Ok, I cant resist a potential bargain - just ordered the banned seller's lucky bag.

Nov 23, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #39,884 of 99,334
I just ordered the Toneking T88k's.
Anyone have experience with them?

I found one review, so had a feeling I was on a bit of thin ice when I ordered.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back