The "Digital SLR that isn't Canon or Nikon" Thread
Sep 30, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #91 of 103
If you have a camera you like its best to invest in glass rather than a new body. Bodies chance every 6 months, good glass doesn't deteriorate.

Ergonomics are important in camera choice. And so is lens availabilty. Sure Nikon and Canon have the most and best lenses available. But those are pro lenses, well above the 1K mark.
I was hanging to Nikon uintill i read about pentax. Pentax has been making lenses and camera's since 1919 and every lens past 1975 fits on bodies made today. Add to that lots of 20+ year old lenses are about 30 bucks and Pentax primes are some of the best on he market.

Yes, i'm biased :)

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #92 of 103
It's okay, we all have bias towards our system of choice.

Actually, we're all blatant fanboys.

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #95 of 103
Another pentaxian, congrats! Is it  second hand? Thought they we'rent sold anymore.
What is your reason to buy pentax?

Look up some old pentax lenses, there are some very nice pieces among those which can be had for 50 bucks, some even less. Specially the primes are great, its what pentax famous.

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #96 of 103
They're definitely still sold some places, and they're still a pretty good value as cameras go. Pentax has, however, discontinued them as far as I know. The K-r has dropped down to around $560 too.

Oct 10, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #97 of 103
I miss my Minolta lenses, I wish the transition to digital had worked out for them.

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #98 of 103
Not entirely sure, but some of them may still work on the Sony SLRs (which were based much on Minolta tech.)

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #99 of 103
Not entirely sure, but some of them may still work on the Sony SLRs (which were based much on Minolta tech.)

They do, just not the even older screw mount ones don't without an adapter. However a lot of the really old ones were not meant for color and because of that they may tint the color slightly when using them for color.

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #100 of 103

Quote:
They do, just not the even older screw mount ones don't without an adapter. However a lot of the really old ones were not meant for color and because of that they may tint the color slightly when using them for color.

Only the Maxxum/autofocus model lenses fit, too bad as I have a bunch of Rokkor-X and Minolta MD bayonet-mount lenses and a Sony DSLR.

Oct 15, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #101 of 103
Another pentaxian, congrats! Is it  second hand? Thought they we'rent sold anymore.
What is your reason to buy pentax?

Look up some old pentax lenses, there are some very nice pieces among those which can be had for 50 bucks, some even less. Specially the primes are great, its what pentax famous.

I bought it a couple years back when I was just getting into photography. It seemed like one of the best entry level DSLRs for the money. And I bought an older Pentax lens off ebay once and wasn't very happy with it so I have been skeptical about doing it again....

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #102 of 103

Quote:
I bought it a couple years back when I was just getting into photography. It seemed like one of the best entry level DSLRs for the money. And I bought an older Pentax lens off ebay once and wasn't very happy with it so I have been skeptical about doing it again....

Too bad about the lens you bought, which one is it?
You might want to check here http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/
Other than that its a huge forum with tons of info, the lens database is very large and has reviews on pretty much any lens made by and for pentax SLR's.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #103 of 103
BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!

I have more Pentax gear than anyone should ever own in their life.  And I carry it all around in a Canon shoulder bag...  
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back