The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Jan 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #2,386 of 3,746

Quote:
People buy custom IEMs mainly to get the perfect fit. While you could customize the amount of drivers and such, with the meagre budget that most of us have I would far prefer custom eartips with whatever IEMs that we use. So yeah, while I've never listened to them, from a purely economic perspective I find them not worth the price.

Don't you understimate my budget! I shall come back with a 2048 driver custom in ear!

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #2,387 of 3,746
Quote:
People buy custom IEMs mainly to get the perfect fit. While you could customize the amount of drivers and such, with the meagre budget that most of us have I would far prefer custom eartips with whatever IEMs that we use. So yeah, while I've never listened to them, from a purely economic perspective I find them not worth the price.

No, custom IEM's are about the sound, not the fit.

Universal custom eartips do nothing special, Etymotic ER-4 or Sony EX1000 + custom eartip is expensive, and won't change the sound of the ER-4 or EX1000 very much, in that respect they are quite pointless!

Demo some CIEM's and you will change your mind perhaps. :)

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #2,389 of 3,746

Quote:
Well what I'm trying to say is that getting custom eartips for universal IEMs gives you more bang for the buck than getting custom earpieces themselves.

If you put a custom tip on a Shure SE535 it will still sound like a Shure SE535!!

I agree custom IEM's are expensive that's why I tell people to buy the Ultimate Ears UE700 for $99 and reshell into a UM Mage and save money.

In that example, the UM Mage will work out cheaper than the SE535 and sound 10 times better too.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #2,390 of 3,746

Quote:
No, custom IEM's are about the sound, not the fit.

Universal custom eartips do nothing special, Etymotic ER-4 or Sony EX1000 + custom eartip is expensive, and won't change the sound of the ER-4 or EX1000 very much, in that respect they are quite pointless!

Demo some CIEM's and you will change your mind perhaps. :)

Lol if I could (ever) afford to. I don't see myself getting an IEM with the calibre of a EX1000 anytime soon. If custom IEM's are about the sound, are there companies that use generic housings but allow you to customize the drivers themselves?

Quote:

If you put a custom tip on a Shure SE535 it will still sound like a Shure SE535!!

I agree custom IEM's are expensive that's why I tell people to buy the Ultimate Ears UE700 for $99 and reshell into a UM Mage and save money.

In that example, the UM Mage will work out cheaper than the SE535 and sound 10 times better too.

So you mean that the housing has more to do with the sound than the drivers themselves?

I checked out the UM Mages (jaw drops). I think I would rather make an entry into Hi-Fi.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #2,391 of 3,746
Speaker quality? As in headphone out? That's quite a surprise.

Never kept up with the modding scene behind the O2x/G2x a lot (am a Sony Ericsson staff using the Droid RAZR in Singapore, lol), but wll definitely have to sniff around for news about it.

Maybe like the camera, LG never released the necessary libraries for it, so the phone has to run on base drivers. Just assuming.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #2,392 of 3,746
Quote:
Speaker quality? As in headphone out? That's quite a surprise.

Never kept up with the modding scene behind the O2x/G2x a lot (am a Sony Ericsson staff using the Droid RAZR in Singapore, lol), but wll definitely have to sniff around for news about it.

Maybe like the camera, LG never released the necessary libraries for it, so the phone has to run on base drivers. Just assuming.

I mean speaker as in its actual speaker. I believe the stock firmware had some sound manipulation software that Cyanogen doesn't have. After some listening with my A151s I believe that they do require an amp (lots of high-pitched sounds and hissing). As one of you have pointed out though perhaps the Wolfson DAP isn't even being used for music playback.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #2,393 of 3,746
Oh no kiteki lol. Here we go with the sure bashing :wink:. I have to agree though the Shure SE530 didn't sound all that great. I found the Sennheiser IE7 to **** all over it in sound quality and bass.

Quote:

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #2,394 of 3,746

Quote:
Well what I'm trying to say is that getting custom eartips for universal IEMs gives you more bang for the buck than getting custom earpieces themselves.

I hope so ... and it will keep me occupied for a little .... as for the Monster Supertips so many love, I heard they fit and they don't fit ... er .. what now? As for 2048 drivers ... don't take me serious, if i say such things ... i can just so imagine having a large tennisball on each ear.... :)

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #2,395 of 3,746
Gotcha, no leaving that Fiio E6 at home then =O

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #2,396 of 3,746
Quote:
So you mean that the housing has more to do with the sound than the drivers themselves?

I checked out the UM Mages (jaw drops). I think I would rather make an entry into Hi-Fi.

Housing has little to do with it, it's more crossovers, drivers, nozzles, filters and then finally fit and insertion.

The UM Mage is $639 now it seems... but like I said a UE700 reshell will take the price down quite a bit.

Of course there are other companies too with cheaper custom IEM's than this, I agree with you they are a bit too expensive but do you remember when the cheapest laptops cost minimum $2500 USD?

The important part about universal IEM's and custom IEM's is that they all sound different you can't generalise them into two seperate groups.

In theory, we could have universal IEM's of every custom IEM!  There is no technical limitation to that.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #2,397 of 3,746
Any Idea what my Galaxy Note dac is? just for info.
Now I limited my customs to UE18 or JH16, any ideas would be appreciated to help me reach my final decision.
Muppetface you will get your item, I hope...

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #2,398 of 3,746
Exynos chipset, so if its the same thing as it is in the SGS2, the DAC for the Note should be one from Yamaha.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #2,399 of 3,746

Quote:
Any Idea what my Galaxy Note dac is? just for info.
Now I limited my customs to UE18 or JH16, any ideas would be appreciated to help me reach my final decision.
Muppetface you will get your item, I hope...

I've limited my search to the Starkey SA-43 and the SE 5 Series.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #2,400 of 3,746

Quote:
Housing has little to do with it, it's more crossovers, drivers, nozzles, filters and then finally fit and insertion.

The UM Mage is $639 now it seems... but like I said a UE700 reshell will take the price down quite a bit.

Of course there are other companies too with cheaper custom IEM's than this, I agree with you they are a bit too expensive but do you remember when the cheapest laptops cost minimum $2500 USD?

The important part about universal IEM's and custom IEM's is that they all sound different you can't generalise them into two seperate groups.

In theory, we could have universal IEM's of every custom IEM!  There is no technical limitation to that.

I wasn't even alive when laptops cost that much, but I do remember my dad using early Thinkpads (he was at IBM).

I think you mean custom IEMs of every universal IEM.

You're saying all IEMs sound different. If UM Mages are customized for two different people will they still sound different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back