The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Nov 12, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #19,471 of 21,761
  My UE6000 arrived today..... ANNNNND It has a hardware problem already........ The female jack where the cable goes in doesnt hold the cable in.......

Sounds great in passive mode though...... 

You sure? I find that you have to plug the thing in pretty hard to get it to sit right. I thought there was an issue with mine until I realised it was only halfway in.

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #19,473 of 21,761
1452337_322124807929781_2108342635_n.jpg

Ghetto-Fi for the win
gs1000.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #19,474 of 21,761
I've decided to buy some sort of espresso/nespresso machine at home. Now I have a Mocha-thingie to put on the stove, and a regular coffee maker, and while both are okay, I very much prefer espresso (or even nespresso) over both of them. This Mocha thing tastes okay, but is way too much hassle for me in the morning before work, and regular coffee, is okay in the morning but I'm tired of it.

I've been looking at automatic espresso machines, but the problem is that they require a lot of care, are expensive, and should they -- god forbid -- break, they are expensive to get fixed. Also, it seems as coffee enthusiasts themselves are saying that it's hard to get good espresso from a automatic maker. This is where those capsule machines come in - they seem to heat very fast, they're reliant and the results are consistent. What really wins me over towards a capsule machine is the convenience. I'm really lazy in the morning, annd grinding your own beans and stuff - a beautiful image, but probably ain't gonna happen in real life.

I've especially been looking at a Nespresso Gran Maestria:

Cup warmer, milk-foamer and obviously the (n)espresso machine.

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #19,476 of 21,761
  I've decided to buy some sort of espresso/nespresso machine at home. Now I have a Mocha-thingie to put on the stove, and a regular coffee maker, and while both are okay, I very much prefer espresso (or even nespresso) over both of them. This Mocha thing tastes okay, but is way too much hassle for me in the morning before work, and regular coffee, is okay in the morning but I'm tired of it.

I've been looking at automatic espresso machines, but the problem is that they require a lot of care, are expensive, and should they -- god forbid -- break, they are expensive to get fixed. Also, it seems as coffee enthusiasts themselves are saying that it's hard to get good espresso from a automatic maker. This is where those capsule machines come in - they seem to heat very fast, they're reliant and the results are consistent. What really wins me over towards a capsule machine is the convenience. I'm really lazy in the morning, annd grinding your own beans and stuff - a beautiful image, but probably ain't gonna happen in real life.

I've especially been looking at a Nespresso Gran Maestria:

Cup warmer, milk-foamer and obviously the (n)espresso machine.

My roommate has had one of the more basic Nespesso machines for a little over a year now.  It works great and there are a huge range of flavors available.  I think the only thing that will get him out of it is when his fiancee decides she wants to pull coffees at home and gets him to get a full espresso machine.

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #19,477 of 21,761
  I use a Moka pot at home. It is more work, but I use that time to clear my head.

Nespresso machines are beautiful, though.

Yeah, I find it a little restful when I do it as well, especially when doing it in the afternoon/evening after work. However, in the morning I just want to press a button and get my coffee. Preferrably delivered by some robot. It would be nice if that robot had an iPhone dock, so I could talk to it like I talk to Siri.

We could call it ... iRobot ...

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #19,478 of 21,761
  My roommate has had one of the more basic Nespesso machines for a little over a year now.  It works great and there are a huge range of flavors available.  I think the only thing that will get him out of it is when his fiancee decides she wants to pull coffees at home and gets him to get a full espresso machine.

Yeah, that range of different flavors is really appealing to me. Also, from what I've seen (at least here in Sweden) there are "boutiques" that makes third party (nespresso) capsules with their own grinded coffee and flavoring as well.

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #19,482 of 21,761
I use the stand alone Nespresso Aeroccino 3 milk frother. A worthy addition for coffee afficiandos.

Interesting. The Gran Maestria has a similar included, but it's the Aeroccino 4. Personally I like a good cappuccino better than an espresso, so a good milk frother is a must for me.

This new all in one that roasts, grinds and brews sounds interesting.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/12/roast-grind-brew/

It does, and it looks beautiful there. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #19,483 of 21,761
So, in an attempt to get a more neutral headphone than the Mad Dog 3.2, I ordered a Paradox Slant yesterday. I should have them in a few weeks, according to Luis. Has anybody in here listened to them, and if so, what did you think?

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #19,484 of 21,761
Interesting. The Gran Maestria has a similar included, but it's the Aeroccino 4. Personally I like a good cappuccino better than an espresso, so a good milk frother is a must for me.

It does, and it looks beautiful there. 

A little birdie told me you might enjoy these nespresso machines:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004P8IPU0/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?keywords=nespresso%20pixie%20with%20aeroccino&qid=1384374135&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

And

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001UE9H6S/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?keywords=nespresso%20city&qid=1384374923&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #19,485 of 21,761
A little birdie told me you might enjoy these nespresso machines:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004P8IPU0/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?keywords=nespresso%20pixie%20with%20aeroccino&qid=1384374135&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

And

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001UE9H6S/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?keywords=nespresso%20city&qid=1384374923&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

That little bird of yours is absolutely correct. After having researched this more, it boils down to that last one you linked, a latissima or the gran maestria. The gran maestria is all metal which I do like, but also unfortunately the biggest and most expensive of the bunch. The one you linked and the latissima are not all metal, but much better sized for our kitchen (and also, fortunately half the price of the maestria). Money isn't really an issue though, since all three of them are within my budget for an (n)espresso machine, and this will be partly supported by everyone else (it's my birfday in 2-3 weeks). However, if the maestria can't really offer much more than a metal body over the others, I'm not sure it'd be worth double the price. It has more manual controls though, but on the other hand, it'd be convenient just pressing one button and let the machine do the work for you (like with the latissima).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back