The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Oct 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #19,231 of 21,761
Dunno, haven't checked the official channels. Sure, it would be nice if it's as cheap as $300. Oh and now that I reread, you said 920, not the 1020. :p

And to be honest, i think I'm done playing around with smartphones' camera. Sure Nokia always pushes the boundaries, and Apple (and to a lesser extend, Sony on the Android front. Maybe Samsung too, but I'm too anti-Samsung to bat an eyelid unless to denigrate it) maintains a slightly better than "good enough", but I yearned for better DoF, more control, etc. from a real camera. I'll get something with WiFi connectivity (or one of those WiFi SD cards, or even this FTP thingy for USB storage devices), and edit on my Nexus 7 or something to upload.

Really, I think I'm done with that kind of novelty. Hell, maybe I'd just scale down some more and get one of those Asha phones lol.

But really, I'm still waiting for one of those Jolla phones, or Firefox OS phones and other quirky small OS...

Yeah, it's the former flagship, not the current one - still, it's a good price. In Sweden around the price of cheap Android budget phones.

Personally, I want something smaller than my DSLR, since it's too big and heavy for everyday use. Sure, it's okay to bring on photography walks, but it's definitely something I want to keep in my bag on my way to work and back. I'm kind of hoping the iPhone camera will be good enough to not have to buy a separate point-and-shoot camera.

By the way, did I give impressions on the STM Bag or not? I have photos of it, and a slight memory of giving my impressions, but I'm not sure. If I haven't, still interested?

Sorry jgray91,
Here;s an official thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687229/shure-announcing-new-srh1540-in-tokyo-today-head-fi-tv

:wink:

Anyway, I've been a Shure fan for a while so I figured I should buy them and try them at least. It seems they are tuned with a "safe" sound according to Jude. Will definitely be comparing them against the Alpha Dogs and a few others... but I need a new amp now!!!

BTW, one of the other headphones that I WAS interested in, the Ultrasone Edition 5s just got pushed out of my head... recent word is that it will cost $5000!!!!!

Yeah, you read correctly!!
What is Ultrasone thinking!?
They will only make 555 headphones (limited edition), will cost 5k and will just probably sound like an Edition 8 with probably more space/wider sound stage due to the updated S-Logic... ... that's an assumption of course but man... This crazy pricing gets on my nerves!

$5000 is ... too much for me.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #19,233 of 21,761
Dude, this is head-fi. Post pictures with headphones in them.

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #19,234 of 21,761
Yeah, it's the former flagship, not the current one - still, it's a good price. In Sweden around the price of cheap Android budget phones.

Personally, I want something smaller than my DSLR, since it's too big and heavy for everyday use. Sure, it's okay to bring on photography walks, but it's definitely something I want to keep in my bag on my way to work and back. I'm kind of hoping the iPhone camera will be good enough to not have to buy a separate point-and-shoot camera.

By the way, did I give impressions on the STM Bag or not? I have photos of it, and a slight memory of giving my impressions, but I'm not sure. If I haven't, still interested?

Well, I'll go to a Nokia store, play around with a few that's in my budget, and then go to another shop that's legit that has cheaper price lol. I guess I'm pretty sure with WP8.

I wasn't aiming for a DSLR; while it is fun with all those controls (to be fair, most of what I handled are a small tier higher than those entry entry level DSLRs) it is for all intends and purposes not for those occasional "get a real camera" walkarounds. I also agree that I would want to have a good enough camera on a phone on occasions that I don't have said bring-along camera. For the record, I do like what Apple did with their camera on the iPhones, and confident that the 5S should be enough to beat a separate point-and-shoot. Not sure though against an RX100II and those in its class.

STM bag? Sure, why not; I'm still looking for a man-purse anyways. EDIT: I really am interested, only now I see that that sounds a bit flippant and uncaring.

Oct 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #19,235 of 21,761
The price of the Edition 5 isn't that surprising to me. The first in the lineup, the Edition 7, was something like 3,500 USD when it was released a decade ago or so. Adjusting for inflation, that's roughly $4,500 today. It was limited to 999 examples. The Edition 5 is limited to almost half that at 555 examples, and it comes about to be about $5,000.

http://www.timelord.co.jp/brand/products/ultrasone/edition/edition5/

Only personally, I think the Edition 7 is a lot cooler looking...

Compared to:

Matte wood cups. Man, Ultrasone, don't outdo yourselves.
They kind of remind me of the backs of hairbrushes.
Also I'm not so sure about the big Edition 5 logo printed on the cups.
The cables look nice however.

Personally I'm still more interested in the Edition 12.

Speaking of not being so Shure...

(okay, that's a really clumsy segue)

Shure has a new closed back model, the SRH1540, which looks to borrow a lot from the SRH1840 design-wise. I actually like the SRH1840, and it's easier to recommend now at its new $450-or-thereabouts price point. The SRH1440 though? Notsomuch. Either way, it seems like Shure has more success with closed models for whatever reason, so this might turn out to be their best effort.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones/srh1540-premium-closed-back-headphones

I dig the velour earpads and the headband assembly borrowed from the SRH1840. Overall, this should be a very comfortable headphone. Really though I could do without the carbon fiber ornamentation.

Vrrrrooooom! Vrrrrrooooom!

Oct 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #19,236 of 21,761
The pads are actually alcantara, a bit different from velour.
And yes, it is basically the same design of the SRH1840 which I really liked as well. Hopefully these new "flagships" produce pleasant sound as well.!

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #19,237 of 21,761
Wow, both the Ultrasones don't look nearly worth those prices. That box on the other hand. I suspect $500 headphones, $3000 box. Is there a box with the Edition 5?

I dig the SRH1840 too. What would make one get the 1540 over the 1840 except the open vs closed part?

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #19,238 of 21,761
One of the big things that keeps me buying Apple gear is that the ressale value is insanely high. I have an old Macbook Air from 2010 which (were it working perfectly, which it isn't because two keyboard keys don't work from water damage and the battery needs replacement from age) would fetch about $500 on eBay right now. Considering that the laptop cost about $1100 when I bought it this seems absurd to me. But I guess if the hardware is physically well made it holds value like a camera lens.

I really don't like that woven carbon fibre look. I don't know why it keeps popping up in audio gear. *sigh*

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #19,240 of 21,761
  Dude, this is head-fi. Post pictures with headphones in them.

Ohhh, so that's what they mean by 'head'-fi... I thought it was okay, because I posted a picture of a head...
wink.gif

Vrrrrooooom! Vrrrrrooooom!

Carbon fiber does make people faster.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #19,242 of 21,761
  I personally prefer Google Drive over the other file sharing/syncing services. But it's been years since I tried Dropbox in university. What makes google drive better imo is that it's not only a file syncing service, but also google docs - which is pretty awesome.

What do you think of Windows 8.1 btw?

Google Docs play havoc with the formatting of Office files though, and my university loves to be anal about formatting. Means I have to use Skydrive(with mediafire for larger things).

8.1...errrk. That's some things I really dislike about 8.1 vs 8, the reduction in right click context menus is one. Thing lust seem more annoying to access in 8.1 since they pushed a lot of settings into the metro menus.

I really love my Surface Pro but it's a very unique combination of hardware. I basically feel like unless you need a tablet with a stylus, there are much better options - but there's nothing quite out there that compares atm.

There's always the Wacom Companion.

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #19,243 of 21,761
For whatever reason I've never been a huge Shure fan but, yeah, I'll admit it, I'm curious about Shure's new closed back SRH1540. Aesthetically, I think it looks quite nice and I don't mind the carbon fiber at all.

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #19,244 of 21,761

True but that thing is 13" and 1.8kg. I even have trouble calling the Surface Pro a tablet given the weight and general chunkiness of the thing. The new Dell Venue Pro 8 looks like it will be at a great sweet spot.

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #19,245 of 21,761
Well, I'll go to a Nokia store, play around with a few that's in my budget, and then go to another shop that's legit that has cheaper price lol. I guess I'm pretty sure with WP8.

I wasn't aiming for a DSLR; while it is fun with all those controls (to be fair, most of what I handled are a small tier higher than those entry entry level DSLRs) it is for all intends and purposes not for those occasional "get a real camera" walkarounds. I also agree that I would want to have a good enough camera on a phone on occasions that I don't have said bring-along camera. For the record, I do like what Apple did with their camera on the iPhones, and confident that the 5S should be enough to beat a separate point-and-shoot. Not sure though against an RX100II and those in its class.

STM bag? Sure, why not; I'm still looking for a man-purse anyways. EDIT: I really am interested, only now I see that that sounds a bit flippant and uncaring.

I've always wanted to try WP8. I like the idea of live tiles, and I think WP8 looks good. It's just that it needs the apps of ios and android. Not the quantity, but the quality.

Yeah I know what you mean. I've actually been a fan of Canon Powershot G-series for a long time now. I even have the G6 myself. A very manual camera in a small package, and it used to shoot RAW (I don't know how they do it today). You might want to check it out.

I'll post some pictures and impressions later on my friend. I have tons to do today since my wife is taking the kids to the countryside for a week, while I have to stay and work. On the other hand, it means I have all the time in the world for messing around with the iPhone tomorrow, and play Xbox games etc. There's always something good in everything... :wink:

One of the big things that keeps me buying Apple gear is that the ressale value is insanely high. I have an old Macbook Air from 2010 which (were it working perfectly, which it isn't because two keyboard keys don't work from water damage and the battery needs replacement from age) would fetch about $500 on eBay right now. Considering that the laptop cost about $1100 when I bought it this seems absurd to me. But I guess if the hardware is physically well made it holds value like a camera lens.

I really don't like that woven carbon fibre look. I don't know why it keeps popping up in audio gear. *sigh*

Yeah, it's a bit weird with the resale values, however, I think Apple computers age a bit better in general than PC's. Also, there's the design and the status of owning an Apple product, can't forget about those kinds of factors as well.

I'm with you on the carbon fibre. I don't like it. I can accept it on the hood of cars, but I'd prefer something else for my gadgets etc. 

Wait what? My note 2 is still fine........ What rom were you running? 

I'm running the standard official Samsung ROM that comes preinstalled. It's my work phone, so I don't want to mess with other ROMs.

It's mostly surfing the web that makes it stutter and lag. When outside of any browser, it's not exactly silky smooth like it used to be, but it's not enough of a problem to make me lose sleep. 

Google Docs play havoc with the formatting of Office files though, and my university loves to be anal about formatting. Means I have to use Skydrive(with mediafire for larger things).

8.1...errrk. That's some things I really dislike about 8.1 vs 8, the reduction in right click context menus is one. Thing lust seem more annoying to access in 8.1 since they pushed a lot of settings into the metro menus.

True. We used to write our texts in Google Docs, and format in Office afterwards. That way we could work together without messing with formatting until we were done writing.

Personally I haven't touched 8.1 enough to have an opinion about it, but I still miss my start menu. Having a button to Metro is a step forward, however, yeah... I miss it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back