The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #3,095 of 21,761
lmao I ordered a new computer for my cousin from dell and the day it arrives his old computer breaks :p. I have to admit while I don't like the entire layout of Windows 8 is seems much smoother than even Windows 7. Even faster. Thing is this is on a regular hard drive and the thing runs as if it was on a SSD. I can't wait to install it on my PC and see how it runs on a SSD :).

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #3,096 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:

Great! Los Angeles has the most Koreans located outside of Seoul.

What about the best Korea?

South v. North? I'm not sure I understood your question.
popcorn.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #3,097 of 21,761
I'm really bummed: I had a long post typed up, and before I could save it to the clipboard my browser crashed. Sh't sucks.

Anyway... I gave my Jecklin Float QA a sendoff by listening to it throughout the day yesterday. It'll be on its way back to the manufacturer for repairs.

I wont be so presumptuous as to call it an "endgame" device for me. I know myself well enough: I'm too fickle and restless for that. Still, as wrought with frustration as my brief period of ownership has been, I've gotten a massive amount of enjoyment from them. In fact, no other headphone has given me such a sense of satisfaction. At the risk of coming across as though I were spinning hype for these things, I'd personally take the Float QA over pretty much anything else right now, including the TakeT and SR-009. That's just me though. It speaks volumes I think when I look back and realize that I consistently went for the QA over anything else despite their being more or less broken.

Next to overall tonal balance (ie. not making my ears bleed), one of the most important qualities in a headphone---if not THE most important---is spatial character. I was just talking to kiteki about this. To earn my love, a headphone should have a sense of depth and not sound flat. This contributes to that elusive quality of "thereness" I've prattled on about in the past. To this end, the Float QA sounds effortless, open, and immersive. They take headphone listening closer to full-fledged speakers, which isn't too surprising given that they're basically two speaker panels strapped to one's head. In comparison, so many other headphones sound claustrophobic and lack a certain vitalism the QA has in spades.

Where the new Floats really excel however is in their sense of inner complexity. Some headphones have a beautiful, wide-open presentation ... but nothing going on inside. They sound hollow. The QA is actually somewhat akin to certain IEMs in that is has a cerebral quality, especially with regard to center vocals. They sound as though they were inside your head. Or rather, the space your head formerly occupied.

Continuing on with the importance of spatial reproduction, one area that has fascinated me with regard to forms of listening---and area seldom if ever hit upon in impressions---is the relationship between perceived interiority and exteriority. With the Float QA, the boundary between the two seems to dissolve. What I mean by this is that the presentation doesn't sequester the sound field into various subsections, doesn't cordon it off. The "blob" effect some transducers yield, with a clearly defined left and right channel and center point.  With the Float QA, it's an organic whole. The traintracks go right through the mountain, too: rather than presenting vocals in front of the listener, they often cut right through. That's what I mean by the space a listener's head once occupied. You're not just standing in front of a presentation, but rather in the midst of it. The headphones aren't transparent so much as you're transparent, a ghost the musicians pass through.

I feel like my exploration of fullsized headphones has reached its saturation point for the time being. I feel satisfied in that area. Consequently, my attention is shifting more toward the portable realm again. I'm also more interested in other parts of the audio chain: specifically, turntables and pre-amps. I'd like to build a rig around the Float QA (and TakeT), so I'm on the lookout for a nice stereo amplifier.

Decware has entered once again into my field of awareness:

I think, visually at least, they'd pair quite nicely with the Float QA:

I'm also fond of Audio Space's stuff:

Then there's this little beauty, an integrated amp by a Japanese company called Triode. Apparently they're popular in Japan, but this is the first time I've heard of them myself. Stumbled across this while searching for gear from another Japanese company called Orb. From what I've read, they're not particularly resolving, though they perform fairly well:

I'm not a resolution-hound, but I'm coming from the Leben CS300, so I don't want to get the same type of integrated amp again.

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #3,101 of 21,761
Quote:
Continuing on with the importance of spatial reproduction, one area that has fascinated me with regard to forms of listening---and area seldom if ever hit upon in impressions---is the relationship between perceived interiority and exteriority. With the Float QA, the boundary between the two seems to dissolve. What I mean by this is that the presentation doesn't sequester the sound field into various subsections, doesn't cordon it off. The "blob" effect some transducers yield, with a clearly defined left and right channel and center point.  With the Float QA, it's an organic whole. The traintracks go right through the mountain, too: rather than presenting vocals in front of the listener, they often cut right through. That's what I mean by the space a listener's head once occupied. You're not just standing in front of a presentation, but rather in the midst of it. The headphones aren't transparent so much as you're transparent, a ghost the musicians pass through.

This sounds amazing.  Imaging is probably the second most important thing to me after "are they sibilant?" but describing it's hard so I just default on **** posting.  It doesn't help either that nothing (I have access to, obviously) impresses me in this regard anymore ;_; .  The cohesiveness of their head-space is actually what impressed me most about the SR009's when I got to hear them.  Maybe these QA's good speaker amp (which would be killing 2 birds with one stone as I have a speaker setup it could be used in) should be an end-goal of mine instead. 

On the subject of imaging, it's actually one of the reasons why I prefer CIEM's to universals.  In my experience, at least, I get that jarring "cohesive space + some sounds sitting right on the driver diaphragm" thing a lot more with universals than customs.

-Edit- (I was interrupted before)

Thinking about that above IEM phenomenon for more than a second made me realize that I probably have increased awareness of where the drivers are in universals because they shift around more as I move.  

But yeah, the worst thing for me is when a soundstage is "convincing"* but one or two things are consistently right on the driver, especially in vocals when that happens to a syllable or two and the whole thing smears. 

* I've never heard anything that sounds like "I'm really there" (not even the Realizer), so I never mean that when I say "convincing."  More like being convinced that something's in/around my head and not being shot into my ears.  

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #3,102 of 21,761
RE: Sony Z1000

I agree with the idea that it is "impressive at first" but then "feels lacking" as time passes. I don't know the explanation to this phenomenon. When I am without them, I long for them. When I have them, I frequently switch between it and my IEMs to change things up. It's so... unintrusive, I guess, that it's a little boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back