The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Nov 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #19,516 of 21,761
  So this is completely random, but I thought I would throw it out to you peeps since you are a savvy bunch. I recently got a new late 2013 Haswell iMac and have been experiencing some erratic USB issues. I managed to solve some issues by removing a USB hub that was causing all USB devices to fail, but I am still getting an issue where I get pops and glitches on my ODAC and when recording with my Zoom H1 recorder.

Doing some hunting around, it seems that some people have issues with USB 3.0 and audio interface devices. It didn't even occur to me that this might be the cause of the problem since I thought that USB 3.0 was fully backwards compatible. I found two threads:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4980646?start=0&tstart=0 and http://www.head-fi.org/t/599915/issues-with-usb-3-0

Any of you have USB 3.0 ports on your computers that are causing you any grief?

EDIT: Here is something really interesting I found in this thread: http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/33427.page

Apparently Intel USB 3.0 chipsets do not have compatibility with the USB isochronous streaming protocol.

My iMac has a Intel USB chipset, which I can identify from the device vendor ID in system report. The ODAC apparently uses isochronous transfer mode. This may be the cause of any glitches. If this is so, this is something really frustrating because it is virtually inescapable for me...

I'm no techie but a friend of mine was having troubles with USB 3 on his Mac and he solved it with a good USB hub. I don't know, you're a part of Cymbacavum. Maybe THIS might solve your problems? Tom seems to really be impressed by it. Try asking Coq De Combat, he's a techie who could probably recommend a fix to try.

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #19,517 of 21,761

I'm no techie but a friend of mine was having troubles with USB 3 on his Mac and he solved it with a good USB hub. I don't know, you're a part of Cymbacavum. Maybe THIS might solve your problems? Tom seems to really be impressed by it. Try asking Coq De Combat, he's a techie who could probably recommend a fix to try.

DF 

It is just a pain to keep adding bits to make things work, when it should be/ advertised as plug and play.

I originally bought the Pro 11 as a transportable set up, to use with either the AK120 or the Bladelius USB dac. The Bladelius did not even get recognized when installing the drivers, and Jimmy at A&K confirmed that USB 3 was not compatible with the AK120. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #19,518 of 21,761
Strangely I never had such issues on my Alienware Aurora ALX. But I still do use a USB 3 hub for other devices. But it works fine with my AK120....

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #19,519 of 21,761

DF 

It is just a pain to keep adding bits to make things work, when it should be/ advertised as plug and play.

I originally bought the Pro 11 as a transportable set up, to use with either the AK120 or the Bladelius USB dac. The Bladelius did not even get recognized when installing the drivers, and Jimmy at A&K confirmed that USB 3 was not compatible with the AK120. 

Agreed, I think simpler and less bits in the chain is better but he's stuck. What else ca he do besides add a bit such a USB hub in order to bypass the USB3 issue

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #19,520 of 21,761
Strange, I have my Vega running off USB 3 with my Adnaco card thing.

My Zodiac Gold is attached to my computer via USB 3.

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #19,521 of 21,761
My Zodiac Gold is attached to my computer via USB 3.

Speaking of which, you've had it awhile now, is your Zodiac setup everything you had hoped for? If so why not write up an official review? I'm sure enough people would love to hear your thoughts on the subject

Final impressions are up on YT and there will be a Audio360 and Cymbacavum articles published in the near future concerning my final thoughts. For those who have bothered to keep track you have probably already guessed my final impressions aren't very good.

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #19,522 of 21,761
Speaking of which, you've had it awhile now, is your Zodiac setup everything you had hoped for? If so why not write up an official review? I'm sure enough people would love to hear your thoughts on the subject

I did, several months ago. :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/antelope-audio-zodiac-gold/reviews/7284

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #19,523 of 21,761
I did, several months ago.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/products/antelope-audio-zodiac-gold/reviews/7284

Coliees, thanks for the link, I'm off to do some reading

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #19,524 of 21,761
  So this is completely random, but I thought I would throw it out to you peeps since you are a savvy bunch. I recently got a new late 2013 Haswell iMac and have been experiencing some erratic USB issues. I managed to solve some issues by removing a USB hub that was causing all USB devices to fail, but I am still getting an issue where I get pops and glitches on my ODAC and when recording with my Zoom H1 recorder.

Doing some hunting around, it seems that some people have issues with USB 3.0 and audio interface devices. It didn't even occur to me that this might be the cause of the problem since I thought that USB 3.0 was fully backwards compatible. I found two threads:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4980646?start=0&tstart=0 and http://www.head-fi.org/t/599915/issues-with-usb-3-0

Any of you have USB 3.0 ports on your computers that are causing you any grief?

EDIT: Here is something really interesting I found in this thread: http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/33427.page

Apparently Intel USB 3.0 chipsets do not have compatibility with the USB isochronous streaming protocol.

My iMac has a Intel USB chipset, which I can identify from the device vendor ID in system report. The ODAC apparently uses isochronous transfer mode. This may be the cause of any glitches. If this is so, this is something really frustrating because it is virtually inescapable for me...

THat's pretty interesting, I never knew this.  I think at one point I was using AudioGD's Digital Interface v1 which used adaptive isochronous transfer, I think I may have used it with USB3 but probably not Intel USB3 chip.

Strange, I have my Vega running off USB 3 with my Adnaco card thing.

I think it is probably isolated to isochronous transfer protocol, and maybe even just the Intel USB3 controller/drivers.  

If i ever end up getting a hifi rack I might need to get one of those Adnaco SB3's so I can attach my keyboard and mouse without grief.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #19,525 of 21,761
I hate stretching my budget just because a once-flagship model is now kind of cheaper since the successor model is coming into the local market. Because I will look for any and every reason to justify spending more...

So many kind-of maybe affordable used E-M5 kits... so many justification and rationalisation needed...

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #19,526 of 21,761
So, it appears that some audio interface implementations have issues with USB 3.0 and others don't, and a USB 3.0 hub oftentimes seems to help if you are having issues? For those on PCs running win 7 or 8 (I run a Hackintosh and dual boot between Mac OS and Win 7), updating the USB-chipset driver can also fix the problem, I found that out with the Zodiac Gold.

It is funny, and shows how stubborn I am, that I kept trying to make the 3.0 port work rather than just plugging the Zodiac into a 2.0 port, instead. :rolleyes: Don Quixote has nothing on me, apparently.

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #19,527 of 21,761
So I exchanged my new iMac for a new one, and I still get the glitches. There is some mysterious issue with these new computers and at least some USB DACs. (John from JDSLabs also informed me that they had been noticing some issues). This is a bit frustrating because the glitches are transient spikes which give me headaches. Won't be using my desktop setup for headphone listening for a while *sigh*

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #19,528 of 21,761
I'm sorry a_recording, I have no idea why that is happening. My initial gut feeling is that it's a software/firmware/driver glitch of some sort but my guess is probably as good as yours.

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #19,529 of 21,761
  So I exchanged my new iMac for a new one, and I still get the glitches. There is some mysterious issue with these new computers and at least some USB DACs. (John from JDSLabs also informed me that they had been noticing some issues). This is a bit frustrating because the glitches are transient spikes which give me headaches. Won't be using my desktop setup for headphone listening for a while *sigh*

You've probably already done this (and I'm not sure if it actually makes a difference with Mac) but have you turned off wifi while listening?  I'm sorry to hear that it's giving you grief anyway.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #19,530 of 21,761
re:  Mac USB 3.0 ports

Just tested my 2013 i5 Mac mini with HRT Microstreamer and all seems well with itunes and web streams.  Even 24/96 seemed okay.

I'll follow on with some other usb dacs soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back