The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Nov 16, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #19,504 of 21,761
Mimouille, that's just normal. I was like that too, until I realized I had created small evil genius monsters. I didn't cry. #manly

Seriously though, such a cool thing to do. I don't know, but it seems to me that these things only happen in America. You murricans also have those "real superheroes", and actors dressing like superheroes in hospitals and so on. I have yet to be asked to play a villain for a sick kid in Stockholm. In other words, we're way too boring over here.

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #19,505 of 21,761
So did I damn it...ever since my son was born I am ten times more sensitive to stories involving kids.

Same here, ever since we adopted our little girl, we've been much more aware of children's causes, to the point that they're our primary focus. They're the most vulnerable of people, and IMO there's nothing more important than helping them to a better start in life.

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #19,506 of 21,761
So did I damn it...ever since my son was born I am ten times more sensitive to stories involving kids.

I initially thought I would be, but the objective prose of journalism failed to move me.  It's all in the delivery I guess.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #19,507 of 21,761
Mimouille, that's just normal. I was like that too, until I realized I had created small evil genius monsters. I didn't cry. #manly

Seriously though, such a cool thing to do. I don't know, but it seems to me that these things only happen in America. You murricans also have those "real superheroes", and actors dressing like superheroes in hospitals and so on. I have yet to be asked to play a villain for a sick kid in Stockholm. In other words, we're way too boring over here.
My son is Isaac, which means "he who smiles / laughs" in Hebrew and he is already diabolical enough to use his laugh as a seduction tool at two months.

On the other hand all Scandinavian countries have much better health coverage than the US so all in all the kid would be better off in Sweden.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #19,508 of 21,761
Same here, ever since we adopted our little girl, we've been much more aware of children's causes, to the point that they're our primary focus. They're the most vulnerable of people, and IMO there's nothing more important than helping them to a better start in life.
Wonderful...always wanted to have two children and adopt a third but the process is so long.

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #19,510 of 21,761
  I cried:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/batkids-make-transforming-san-francisco-gotham/story?id=20899254

I'm quite touched that an entire city was galvanised to make this child's day. How did the Make a Wish organisation get the word out I wonder?

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #19,511 of 21,761
I'm quite touched that an entire city was galvanised to make this child's day. How did the Make a Wish organisation get the word out I wonder?

Mini bat signal?

It's stuff like this that reminds me of the fact that there's still humanity out there.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #19,512 of 21,761
So this is completely random, but I thought I would throw it out to you peeps since you are a savvy bunch. I recently got a new late 2013 Haswell iMac and have been experiencing some erratic USB issues. I managed to solve some issues by removing a USB hub that was causing all USB devices to fail, but I am still getting an issue where I get pops and glitches on my ODAC and when recording with my Zoom H1 recorder.

Doing some hunting around, it seems that some people have issues with USB 3.0 and audio interface devices. It didn't even occur to me that this might be the cause of the problem since I thought that USB 3.0 was fully backwards compatible. I found two threads:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4980646?start=0&tstart=0 and http://www.head-fi.org/t/599915/issues-with-usb-3-0

Any of you have USB 3.0 ports on your computers that are causing you any grief?

EDIT: Here is something really interesting I found in this thread: http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/33427.page

Apparently Intel USB 3.0 chipsets do not have compatibility with the USB isochronous streaming protocol.

The reason is that some USB 3 controllers that claim to be fully compatible to USB 
2 devices actually have problems when you try to connect certain USB 2 high-speed 
audio interface. 

The problem is that our drivers use a technology called 'isochronous streaming'. 

The standard USB specifications cover this feature, and every USB2 controller 
supports it. 
But all USB3 controllers we tested do have problems with 'isochronous streaming' 
with high speed audio interfaces. 

My iMac has a Intel USB chipset, which I can identify from the device vendor ID in system report. The ODAC apparently uses isochronous transfer mode. This may be the cause of any glitches. If this is so, this is something really frustrating because it is virtually inescapable for me...

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #19,513 of 21,761
USB 3 is not backwards compatible with audio.

I bought a Sony Pro 11 only USB 3 ports, when it was released, to find out that all my USB dacs did not work. Ended up having to buy a Sony T Ultrabook as well, which has one USB 2. This is extremely annoying to say the least.

There is no way around it on the Sony Pro 11, took it to some savvy tech guys and they could not get music files to play. 

EDIT:

I thought with Macs, it was fine?!?!

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #19,514 of 21,761
It might be part (or not be part) of the USB 3 specification, which most likely would mean it wouldn't matter which system it was running on.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #19,515 of 21,761
  USB 3 is not backwards compatible with audio.

I bought a Sony Pro 11 only USB 3 ports, when it was released, to find out that all my USB dacs did not work. Ended up having to buy a Sony T Ultrabook as well, which has one USB 2. This is extremely annoying to say the least.

There is no way around it on the Sony Pro 11, took it to some savvy tech guys and they could not get music files to play. 

EDIT:

I thought with Macs, it was fine?!?!

Strange, I have my Vega running off USB 3 with my Adnaco card thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back