The Dekoni Audio Blog! Content from our website and friends.
Sep 24, 2021 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23
It's time to start a thread with about all things Dekoni.

Here we will be cross posting our blog content which includes:

- Reviews from across the web
- Blogs and information about our products, including opinion pieces
- Educational Content
- Much more

Check back regularly for the latest posts from DekoniAudio.com

Dekoni Audio Stay updated on Dekoni Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dekoni Audio @dekoniaudio http://www.dekoniaudio.com sales@dekoniaudio.com
Sep 24, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 23
Check out the original post here

20210922_140540-scaled.jpg

Dekoni Foam Attenuation Kit – A Budget Modders Paradise?​

Dekoni’s long-standing goal has always been providing comfort alongside a chance to modify the sound signature of your headphones, with the Elite Series encompassing the widest variety of sound changes. Ranging from the open, airy velour and fenestrated pads to the warm, isolating sheepskin pads, the choices are available for those able to afford it. However, for those on a tight budget or wanting to maximize their spending only on the headphones themselves, what tools are available to give them a proper modding experience without stretching their budget?

ATTFK-03

With the recent release of the latest Foam Attenuation kit, the opportunity was clear: with an affordable kit offering a variety of densities, I was curious exactly how expansive the modding possibilities could be with only one or two sets of earpads on a single headphone. For testing, we’ll be using a Dekoni Blue with both the X00 Elite Hybrid and T50RP Elite Velour pads as our baseline.

The goal of this won’t be to find a single ideal sound signature for me, but instead explore the range of capabilities the foamkit brings to the table to cover a wide variety of use cases. For this testing, the focus will fall in the two areas most related to me: music and simracing. For music, I enjoy a more v-shaped sound signature emphasizing the low frequencies to keep the listening as relaxing as possible.

20210922_145636

Simracing, on the other hand, places a significant emphasis on the midrange and highs to be able to pick out finer details of exactly what the car is doing. Hearing the differences between front and rear tire scrubbing as well as ABS/TC activation is critical in maximizing pace over both qualifying and race sessions. Lower frequencies aren’t strictly necessary as they can potentially hide key audio cues and don’t necessarily increase immersion. In many scenarios, bass shakers are the next natural step in a sim rig’s assembly before moving to motion rigs to better feel the suspension of the car.

Before we dive into the mods tested and results, let’s look at the most common modding options available.

The Blue is an in-house mod of the classic Fostex T50RP, utilizing a semi-open design along with a denser baffle and Dekoni earpads to turn the studio-grade sound signature into a warm, exciting headphone. Swapping the Hybrid pads for the Velour ones reduces the bass content, resulting in an overall brighter sound. We’ll be diving deeper by looking at combining foams, looking behind the driver and experimenting with the openness, and experiencing just how complex modding can become with something as simple as a stack of foam.

Keep an eye out for part 2 as we open up our Blue and tuck foam into places deeper than most common modding practices go for!

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 23

- Educational Content
- Much more

I have asked nicely for at least 5 times before if possible to make genuine leather earpads for the Pioneer SE Master 1 and I have been ignored all this time.

Sep 30, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 23

- Educational Content
- Much more

Great initiative!! Looking forward for impressions!!

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 23
I have asked nicely for at least 5 times before if possible to make genuine leather earpads for the Pioneer SE Master 1 and I have been ignored all this time.
Send me an email:
Dylan@Dekoniaudio.com
1. I need a picture of the mount style (Plastic, TPU lip, ETC)
2. I need the diameter in millimeters to determine if we already have something in our lineup that will fit

If we don't already have something, I might be able to produce something if you are able to part way with your stock ear pads.

Sep 30, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 23
@DekoniAudio I like the T50 Elite Sheepskin! Have you ever considered making a slightly wider, angled version like the ZMF Ovals or Alpha Pad?

I would also love an all black Blue (Black and Blue LOL!) with perhaps a small dekoni badge on sides, headband is fine. One thing you might be able to try is to get Fostex to add a 3.5mm TRRS? To have it balanced stock would be kind of cool as T50's come alive when they have a decent powered amplifier. I would pay for the added features.

EDIT: Choice suede angled!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 23
@DekoniAudio I like the T50 Elite Sheepskin! Have you ever considered making a slightly wider, angled version like the ZMF Ovals or Alpha Pad?

I would also love an all black Blue (Black and Blue LOL!) with perhaps a small dekoni badge on sides, headband is fine. One thing you might be able to try is to get Fostex to add a 3.5mm TRRS? To have it balanced stock would be kind of cool as T50's come alive when they have a decent powered amplifier. I would pay for the added features.

EDIT: Choice suede angled!
I hear our LCD pads even though they are wider will fit our Blue if you take out the stiffening ring.

Black and blue? If our colored limited edition pads for the Beyerdynamic DT and T series do well this holiday we might feel compelled to make more colored pads in the future.

As for balanced, unfortunately it would be too expensive to have Fostex set up their manufacturing to accommodate a balanced connection. We hear our friends @ Modhouseaudio.com do a great job converting the Blue to balanced.

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 23
DekoniAudioBooth2-scaled.jpg

Hey, Dekoni Fans! It’s Dylan, the Product Manager for Dekoni Audio. Time has come and gone, and another CanJam is in the books! Nestled in the middle of the industrial district of Irvine, California, we experienced a show for the history books. With audiophile juggernauts duking it out on the show floor with their new flagships, the impressions grabbed at the show will be talked about for months to come.

Meze Elite

Unfortunately, our friends at Meze Audio were unable to attend CanJam due to travel restrictions. Thankfully, our friends at Headphones.com and Bloom Audio, had the Elite available for listening. Located at the next booth over from Dekoni sat a Meze Elite and as you can tell, I couldn’t resist the urge to take a listen. I had just ten seconds and holy warmth Batman! The low end was there and in force. If I had to choose though, I would grab an OG Empyrean over the Elite as my Meze headphone of choice just based on first impressions.

Meze Elite

Meze Elite Captured at Canjam SoCal 2021

Dan Clark Stealth

As someone who personally knows Dan Clark, he’s definitely got an interesting brain to pick. He is always coming up with something new that benefits the headphone industry as a whole. At Dekoni we personally use his patent pending reusable adhesive for our Aeon Flow ear pads. With the Stealth, he hasn’t stopped innovating. I took about a two minute listen to these babies at the Headphones.com booth.

When you first pick up the headphone you can’t help but look into the ear cup to see the shape of the metamaterials resting on the dust cover. Taking that first listen, I noticed the phenomenal detail emerging from the sound signature. Unfortunately, the sound signature of the headphone is not exactly for me as the mids were recessed, and I felt the vocals of the test track were hiding behind the overall mix. It could have just been the track, but I hope to order these headphones soon and get on with a pad rolling adventure.

Dan Clark Stealth

Dan Clark Stealth at CanJam SoCal 2021

Audeze LCD-5

Let’s talk about the most sought-after headphone at the show. Audeze had two listening stations for the LCD-5 and throughout the entire day, both of them always had a line. People were lined up thirty minutes before the show started on day two since it was so hard to get a listening session in on day one.

Fortunately for myself, I had an exhibitor badge. This allowed me to sneak up to the Audeze booth before the show opened and grab about two tracks of listening. To preface this impression, Planar technology is very mature in the headphone market at this point. I believe Audeze has kept up with their formula and has taken the time to refine the headphone shell that houses their planar driver. It sounded like an LCD and the real standout was just how much lighter it was than previous versions of their LCDs. If you know what an LCD sounds like and appreciate it, definitely grab yourself an LCD-5. For me, I’m happy with our modded LCD 2C for the time being.

Audeze LCD5

Audeze LCD5 at CanJam SoCal 2021

Audeze CRBN

Not pulling any punches at the show, Audeze also brought their entirely new Electrostatic headphones. The CRBN is based on a headphone specifically designed for UCLA for use with MRI machines. This was definitely my favorite headphone of the show. Bruno Mars, 24k Magic

The imaging of the track was outstanding, it was detail rich, and most important of all; It did not lack low-frequency content. I was in bliss with the CRBN and hope to thank Sankar personally for developing such a great-sounding headphone. It one hundred percent fits my ears’ frequency response.

Audeze CRBN

Audeze CRBN at CanJam SoCal 2021

Dekoni Booth Overview

Okay now that we got the flagship drooling out of the way, let’s talk about the show in general.
Since the Backstreet Boys Reunion Tour is still going on, everyone thought the attendance would be lacking severely. I can confirm, it wasn’t as small as everyone thought it would be. The Dekoni Audio booth stayed busy for the most part both days. People enjoyed listening to our extensive collection of audiophile favorites.

Dekoni Booth

Dekoni Booth at CanJam SoCal 2021

The star at our booth this year was the Sony Z1R, it’s surprising how many people haven’t heard the headphone personally. Sony I’m gonna call you out on this one, get your flagships into the hands of the people, you won’t regret it. Pad preference on the MDR-Z1R varied greatly, but overall the Hybrid and Sheepskin were the most liked sound signature.

Sony MDR-Z1R

Sony MDR-Z1R at CanJam SoCal 2021

The second favorite at our booth was the Sennheiser HD800, commonly mistaken by attendees as being the HD800S. Sorry guys! Maybe I will trade our HD800 for the HD800s, but today is not the day. Most people agreed that our pads on the HD800, Elite Velour being the style I had attached, made the sound signature significantly better by reducing sibilance or piercing high-frequency content. Also cited was the increased comfort offered because of the increase of depth and the memory foam we use inside of our ear pads.

Sennheiser HD820

Sennheiser HD820 at CanJam SoCal 2021 | Also available for listening at our booth was the Sennheiser HD820

Other notable feedback from people stopping by was the head-turning blue flannel pads I had on display. I had brought our limited edition holiday prototype to the show, and the reactions were overwhelmingly positive. People liked the idea that we are exploring new options for materials and colors. As the industry leader in ear pad tech, I expect our competitors to follow the leader when we release these for the holiday. The headphone industry will be better off for it. Available for the holiday season will be our red & green as well as blue flannel styles. We are only manufacturing two hundred and fifty sets of each color and once they are gone, that’s it! They will be in our almost universal Beyerdynamic DT style which can also fit a wide variety of other headphones.

20211001_134841

Dekoni Audio Limited Edition Holiday DT Ear Pads

Learning From our Customers

Trade shows aren’t always just us teaching the convention goers but alternatively, it’s enthusiasts teaching us. Interesting headphones always flow past our booth but most interesting of all was the Sennheiser HD540. This baby doesn’t have much support anymore and owners of this legendary headphone are always scrounging for new ear pads. Well, today I’m happy to announce that our round Hifiman and TH900 ear pads fit the mounting ring for the HD540 and bring new life back to these cans.

Dekoni Audio HD540

CanJam SoCal 2021 Attendee Showing Off His New Dekoni Pads for the HD540

DMS Reigniting the passion for the Sennheiser HD540

But wait there’s more! Number one on our list of requested ear pads, drum roll, please… The Audioquest Nighthawk. If you are going to talk about cult followings in the headphone industry, this is it. We receive dozens of requests to make aftermarket ear pads for the Nighthawk. Well, could you imagine it? A customer engaged me about the Nighthawk, and this man exclaimed that he owns not one… not two… but THREE of them. The Nighthawk has eluded our collection for the time being but this man is itching to get life back into his collection of Nighthawks that he will be sending us his pads to develop new styles for these cans. I hope we can have something available for this crew of hardcore Nighthawk fans next year.

Zreviews on the AudioQuest NightHawk. Do I even need to say this? Viewer discretion is advised.

Recently we picked up an advertising spot at GoldenSound.audio. I appreciate the Golden One’s work and the attention to detail he provides when offering up free education resources to the audiophile community, so I had to grab a sponsor spot on his website. When you subscribe to his Patreon he has a community of like-minded individuals who are passionate about all things audiophiles and where he will answer questions you have regarding equipment and the likes.

Just one of the many educational videos from Golden Sound

Well, that community also dragged me into a hotel room filled with thousands of dollars of Headphones, Amplifiers, and DACs. I was able to have my first experience with the Abyss 1266, and right when you pick it up your first thought is “This is going to be interesting”. Hopefully, the guys at Abyss will hook us up in the future with some pads, because I want to see how pad rolling affects this beast of engineering. The adventure will be extremely fun especially with the different sound signatures available just by adjusting the distance between drivers.

Have you seen this video of Linus from Linus Tech Tips crying?

What really blew my mind was when I got handed an Audio Technica AD900X. I have access to the AD900X in the office, and had always felt, it’s just not a headphone for me. Not until it was attached to a tube amp did I get on board with how interesting it sounded. If you haven’t tried it, now you should because wowzas. Seriously, shout out to the Golden Sound community! If you are headed to CanJam NYC the group is already planning their stays in the Midtown area. Join up and get connected with like-minded people!

TekSyndicate on the AD900X

Wrap Up

What an intense show! Despite all of the negativity in the world, a group of headphone enthusiasts came together and made this show possible. Thanks to Ethan, Jude and the entire Head-Fi team. We hope to see you all at CanJam NYC, our hometown show. You can expect the entire Dekoni team at the show, where we will be answering questions and letting the crowd experience audiophile favorites.

NYC_22-big-banner

See you next time!​

See you space cowboy

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 23
DekoniAudioBooth2-scaled.jpg

Hey, Dekoni Fans! It’s Dylan, the Product Manager for Dekoni Audio. Time has come and gone, and another CanJam is in the books! Nestled in the middle of the industrial district of Irvine, California, we experienced a show for the history books. With audiophile juggernauts duking it out on the show floor with their new flagships, the impressions grabbed at the show will be talked about for months to come.

Meze Elite

Unfortunately, our friends at Meze Audio were unable to attend CanJam due to travel restrictions. Thankfully, our friends at Headphones.com and Bloom Audio, had the Elite available for listening. Located at the next booth over from Dekoni sat a Meze Elite and as you can tell, I couldn’t resist the urge to take a listen. I had just ten seconds and holy warmth Batman! The low end was there and in force. If I had to choose though, I would grab an OG Empyrean over the Elite as my Meze headphone of choice just based on first impressions.

Meze Elite

Meze Elite Captured at Canjam SoCal 2021

Dan Clark Stealth

As someone who personally knows Dan Clark, he’s definitely got an interesting brain to pick. He is always coming up with something new that benefits the headphone industry as a whole. At Dekoni we personally use his patent pending reusable adhesive for our Aeon Flow ear pads. With the Stealth, he hasn’t stopped innovating. I took about a two minute listen to these babies at the Headphones.com booth.

When you first pick up the headphone you can’t help but look into the ear cup to see the shape of the metamaterials resting on the dust cover. Taking that first listen, I noticed the phenomenal detail emerging from the sound signature. Unfortunately, the sound signature of the headphone is not exactly for me as the mids were recessed, and I felt the vocals of the test track were hiding behind the overall mix. It could have just been the track, but I hope to order these headphones soon and get on with a pad rolling adventure.

Dan Clark Stealth

Dan Clark Stealth at CanJam SoCal 2021

Audeze LCD-5

Let’s talk about the most sought-after headphone at the show. Audeze had two listening stations for the LCD-5 and throughout the entire day, both of them always had a line. People were lined up thirty minutes before the show started on day two since it was so hard to get a listening session in on day one.

Fortunately for myself, I had an exhibitor badge. This allowed me to sneak up to the Audeze booth before the show opened and grab about two tracks of listening. To preface this impression, Planar technology is very mature in the headphone market at this point. I believe Audeze has kept up with their formula and has taken the time to refine the headphone shell that houses their planar driver. It sounded like an LCD and the real standout was just how much lighter it was than previous versions of their LCDs. If you know what an LCD sounds like and appreciate it, definitely grab yourself an LCD-5. For me, I’m happy with our modded LCD 2C for the time being.

Audeze LCD5

Audeze LCD5 at CanJam SoCal 2021

Audeze CRBN

Not pulling any punches at the show, Audeze also brought their entirely new Electrostatic headphones. The CRBN is based on a headphone specifically designed for UCLA for use with MRI machines. This was definitely my favorite headphone of the show. Bruno Mars, 24k Magic

The imaging of the track was outstanding, it was detail rich, and most important of all; It did not lack low-frequency content. I was in bliss with the CRBN and hope to thank Sankar personally for developing such a great-sounding headphone. It one hundred percent fits my ears’ frequency response.

Audeze CRBN

Audeze CRBN at CanJam SoCal 2021

Dekoni Booth Overview

Okay now that we got the flagship drooling out of the way, let’s talk about the show in general.
Since the Backstreet Boys Reunion Tour is still going on, everyone thought the attendance would be lacking severely. I can confirm, it wasn’t as small as everyone thought it would be. The Dekoni Audio booth stayed busy for the most part both days. People enjoyed listening to our extensive collection of audiophile favorites.

Dekoni Booth

Dekoni Booth at CanJam SoCal 2021

The star at our booth this year was the Sony Z1R, it’s surprising how many people haven’t heard the headphone personally. Sony I’m gonna call you out on this one, get your flagships into the hands of the people, you won’t regret it. Pad preference on the MDR-Z1R varied greatly, but overall the Hybrid and Sheepskin were the most liked sound signature.

Sony MDR-Z1R

Sony MDR-Z1R at CanJam SoCal 2021

The second favorite at our booth was the Sennheiser HD800, commonly mistaken by attendees as being the HD800S. Sorry guys! Maybe I will trade our HD800 for the HD800s, but today is not the day. Most people agreed that our pads on the HD800, Elite Velour being the style I had attached, made the sound signature significantly better by reducing sibilance or piercing high-frequency content. Also cited was the increased comfort offered because of the increase of depth and the memory foam we use inside of our ear pads.

Sennheiser HD820

Sennheiser HD820 at CanJam SoCal 2021 | Also available for listening at our booth was the Sennheiser HD820

Other notable feedback from people stopping by was the head-turning blue flannel pads I had on display. I had brought our limited edition holiday prototype to the show, and the reactions were overwhelmingly positive. People liked the idea that we are exploring new options for materials and colors. As the industry leader in ear pad tech, I expect our competitors to follow the leader when we release these for the holiday. The headphone industry will be better off for it. Available for the holiday season will be our red & green as well as blue flannel styles. We are only manufacturing two hundred and fifty sets of each color and once they are gone, that’s it! They will be in our almost universal Beyerdynamic DT style which can also fit a wide variety of other headphones.

20211001_134841

Dekoni Audio Limited Edition Holiday DT Ear Pads

Learning From our Customers

Trade shows aren’t always just us teaching the convention goers but alternatively, it’s enthusiasts teaching us. Interesting headphones always flow past our booth but most interesting of all was the Sennheiser HD540. This baby doesn’t have much support anymore and owners of this legendary headphone are always scrounging for new ear pads. Well, today I’m happy to announce that our round Hifiman and TH900 ear pads fit the mounting ring for the HD540 and bring new life back to these cans.

Dekoni Audio HD540

CanJam SoCal 2021 Attendee Showing Off His New Dekoni Pads for the HD540

DMS Reigniting the passion for the Sennheiser HD540

But wait there’s more! Number one on our list of requested ear pads, drum roll, please… The Audioquest Nighthawk. If you are going to talk about cult followings in the headphone industry, this is it. We receive dozens of requests to make aftermarket ear pads for the Nighthawk. Well, could you imagine it? A customer engaged me about the Nighthawk, and this man exclaimed that he owns not one… not two… but THREE of them. The Nighthawk has eluded our collection for the time being but this man is itching to get life back into his collection of Nighthawks that he will be sending us his pads to develop new styles for these cans. I hope we can have something available for this crew of hardcore Nighthawk fans next year.

Zreviews on the AudioQuest NightHawk. Do I even need to say this? Viewer discretion is advised.

Recently we picked up an advertising spot at GoldenSound.audio. I appreciate the Golden One’s work and the attention to detail he provides when offering up free education resources to the audiophile community, so I had to grab a sponsor spot on his website. When you subscribe to his Patreon he has a community of like-minded individuals who are passionate about all things audiophiles and where he will answer questions you have regarding equipment and the likes.

Just one of the many educational videos from Golden Sound

Well, that community also dragged me into a hotel room filled with thousands of dollars of Headphones, Amplifiers, and DACs. I was able to have my first experience with the Abyss 1266, and right when you pick it up your first thought is “This is going to be interesting”. Hopefully, the guys at Abyss will hook us up in the future with some pads, because I want to see how pad rolling affects this beast of engineering. The adventure will be extremely fun especially with the different sound signatures available just by adjusting the distance between drivers.

Have you seen this video of Linus from Linus Tech Tips crying?

What really blew my mind was when I got handed an Audio Technica AD900X. I have access to the AD900X in the office, and had always felt, it’s just not a headphone for me. Not until it was attached to a tube amp did I get on board with how interesting it sounded. If you haven’t tried it, now you should because wowzas. Seriously, shout out to the Golden Sound community! If you are headed to CanJam NYC the group is already planning their stays in the Midtown area. Join up and get connected with like-minded people!

TekSyndicate on the AD900X

Wrap Up

What an intense show! Despite all of the negativity in the world, a group of headphone enthusiasts came together and made this show possible. Thanks to Ethan, Jude and the entire Head-Fi team. We hope to see you all at CanJam NYC, our hometown show. You can expect the entire Dekoni team at the show, where we will be answering questions and letting the crowd experience audiophile favorites.

NYC_22-big-banner

See you next time!​

See you space cowboy

I love the honesty of this post.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 23
No reason to sugarcoat it, everyone hears differently.
Stealth is for me the most perfect midrange I have ever heard. I really don't understand why people prefer that so called "warmth" over accuracy. Do you mean recessed like recessed in the low mids? What part of midrange was recessed for you?

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 23
Stealth is for me the most perfect midrange I have ever heard. I really don't understand why people prefer that so called "warmth" over accuracy. Do you mean recessed like recessed in the low mids? What part of midrange was recessed for you?
index.php

The vocal range is just too recessed overall for me, I like my vocals in front of the mix or just nestled in between it. I probably had about two minutes with it on one track so this was just first impressions. It was a song that I am not familiar with. I hope to have much more time with the headphone in the future as we will be adding the Stealth to our project list.

-Dylan

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 23
index.php

The vocal range is just too recessed overall for me, I like my vocals in front of the mix or just nestled in between it. I probably had about two minutes with it on one track so this was just first impressions. It was a song that I am not familiar with. I hope to have much more time with the headphone in the future as we will be adding the Stealth to our project list.

-Dylan
If you check Dan's post here, you would see that it is actually a flat response. Anything more in the low mids will make it too thick and lose the clarity. At least, for myself, I am glad that it is not another Empyrean copy.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dan...iew-measurements.959214/page-20#post-16518500

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back