The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Aug 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #1,186 of 2,112
I actually just found an old 'hum troubleshooting' document on the Decware site where Steve recommends removing each tube, one at a time, and turning the amp on to check for hum. I just did this without problems, but unfortunately the hum was still there without tubes. So it's really something to do with the amplifier. :frowning2:

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,187 of 2,112
FYI: http://www.decware.com/paper41.htm

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,189 of 2,112
On a lighter note, I ordered and received some nifty little Neutrik dummyplugs to cover up the XLR and 1/4 inch sockets when not in use. They're just simple little rubber things, but they look good and cost almost nothing. I can post a pic if folks are interested. I got the tip from the Decware forum.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #1,190 of 2,112
Link please?

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #1,193 of 2,112
Quote:
http://www.neutrik.us/en-us/plugs-jacks/jack-accessories/ndj

se

You're like a mind reader.  I was just by your site last night because I may need more cables.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,194 of 2,112
http://www.bax-shop.nl/accessoires/neutrik-ndj-dummy-plug-voor-jack-chassisdelen/product-details.html

http://www.bax-shop.nl/accessoires/neutrik-ndf-dummy-plug-voor-xlr-female-chassisdelen/product-details.html

They have them in US webshops too.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #1,195 of 2,112
Aug 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #1,196 of 2,112
Quote:
Hmm this is a long shot, but just now I put my ear close to the transformer again to hear the hum, and realised that I can't be certain that it isn't coming from the rectifier. Is it possible / advisable to try switching the Taboo on without the rectifier inserted, or is that a bad idea?

You might want to read Steve white paper on troubleshooting hum:

Quote:
[size=10pt]TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE FOR ZEN TRIODE/TORII AMPLIFIERS[/size]

[size=10pt]STEP 1 - Remove the interconnects from your amplifier so that the only thing hooked to it is your loudspeakers.  Turn the volume control (if it has one) all the way down.  Turn on the amp and let it warm up for a minute.  [/size]
[size=10pt]I hear hum from both channels - If you hear hum from both channels it could be caused from a bad input tube.  Turn the amp off and remove the input tube.  On the SE84C, SE84CS and SV83M this is a single tube located farthest towards the front of the amplifier.  On the SE34I and TORII this is the small tube located farthest towards the rear. (Note: Only the TORII-C has an input tube, the TORII-A and TORII-B do not). Turn the amp on without the input tube.  If the hum stops, try a different input tube.  If the hum continues with different input tubes, and if your amplifier has a rectifier tube, try replacing the rectifier tube.  If the hum continues there is a problem with the amplifier.[/size]
[size=10pt]I hear hum from only one channel - Hearing hum from only one channel usually means that you have a bad tube.  Try the same proceedure above with input tubes.  If that doesn't solve the problem, try reversing the output tubes by swaping the left and right tubes.  If the hum is now on the other speaker, replace that output tube.[/size]
[size=10pt]It is important to have clean tube pins.  While this usually won't cause an amp to hum, it can add to the noise.  A good tuner cleaner/lubricant works well for this if used sparingly. Connectors are equally important. Use it on both the input and output jacks also.  [/size]
[size=10pt]If you have determined the hum is not coming from the amplifier, the most likely causes are as follows:[/size]
  1. [size=10pt]Intermittent interconnects that have a broken or cracked ground path.[/size]
  2. [size=10pt]Faulty input jacks on the amp, or on your source or preamp.[/size]
  3. [size=10pt]Plugging your source and or preamp in a different outlet than your amplifier.[/size]
  4. [size=10pt]Using two to three prong adapters to lift the ground.[/size]
  5. [size=10pt]Running interconnects parallel with power cords.[/size]

http://www.decware.com/paper41.htm

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #1,197 of 2,112
Yep thanks, I found that too and posted it at the top of this page. :)

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #1,199 of 2,112
Quote:
You're like a mind reader.  I was just by your site last night because I may need more cables.

biggrin.gif

The reason the plugs caught my attention is because some time back I had some nice dummy plugs made out of Delrin and was offering them at-cost (which wasn't exactly cheap because they were machined). Wasn't aware of the Neutrik plug at the time and then someone pointed it out. After that I just gave them away.

se

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,200 of 2,112
Quote:

biggrin.gif

The reason the plugs caught my attention is because some time back I had some nice dummy plugs made out of Delrin and was offering them at-cost (which wasn't exactly cheap because they were machined). Wasn't aware of the Neutrik plug at the time and then someone pointed it out. After that I just gave them away.

se

Delrin...  I've been considering a Delrin platter upgrade for my Rega.  Anyway, it's good to hear from you.

I think I'm going to just get some of these plugs on Ebay.  There doesn't seem to be many retailers in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back