The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
May 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #601 of 2,112
Quote:
Raz, I would try the Heresy's. I would expect that to be a nice match with the Taboo....

Oh yeah, that looks good from what I am reading and not too expensive. Somehow I've previously missed it. It looked like a sub to me. :) 

May 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #602 of 2,112
Well, back in the closet they go for another ten years...I'm happy with the headphones...

Still gotta figure out the HE500 issue,  more testing to be done. HEY, maybe the impedence is causing the ringing with lucid mode turned off?

May 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #603 of 2,112
Quote:

Just tried my Grado SR352is on [the Taboo MKIII] and they sound awesome, too.

They sure do! I loved the Grado SR225i's on the Taboo MKII... just splendid. Made better still with Lucid Mode...

...but not the HD800's. Bad match there.

Still need to do a CSP2+ vs MKIII audition. Likely to happen in 3 weeks at the Dallas meet. 

May 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #604 of 2,112
Quote:

They sure do! I loved the Grado SR225i's on the Taboo MKII... just splendid. Made better still with Lucid Mode...

...but not the HD800's. Bad match there.

Still need to do a CSP2+ vs MKIII audition. Likely to happen in 3 weeks at the Dallas meet. 

Yep, for me so far the MKIII likes the HD800's and the SR325is, workin' through something on the HE500's not quite the best match there. Oh yeah, I forgot to try the HD650's, they'll be next up on the test sequence.

May 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #605 of 2,112
I have the heresy 3's .   I bought them as new seconds off ebay.  Small chip in the veneer.  I am happy with them.  They are fast, clear, and range down to 56 Hz.  Later I added a powered sub that has a volume control and a variable crossover. I run the sub from the CSP2+.   I like the sound of the heresys best at ear level.  The sound is right there at the speaker, it doesn't shout, which is an attribute of the Taboo MK2 I think.  The MKIII has 4 wpc and mine has 6.  the heresy speakers are at 99 dB at one watt.  and 102 dB max.  thats loud.  

May 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #607 of 2,112
Quote:
I received my Taboo III a few weeks ago and still playing around to figure out if I like this or not. I like the new lucid mode but am noticing hum when it is turned on through my LCD-2 REV1.

Give Decware a call.  There shouldn't be any hum.

May 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #609 of 2,112
Audiosceptic,

How is the new Taboo holding up against your Consonance M10S??

I don't think I'm hearing any hum with the new Lucid Mode either....my experience with it is a mixed bag thus far but that's the nature if that beast. Nice to be able to switch it on and off on the fly. My Taboo is about a week old so I'm gonna give it some more time before I write some detailed impressions....its been fun (for the most part) thus far :)

May 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #610 of 2,112
I find the new Lucid mode to increase the volume, prompting me to reach for the volume knob and lower it a notch or 2, to make it a similar volume to the old Lucid mode. Its mostly because its bringing sounds from the background to the forefront. Sounds that are in the left and right channels..

May 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #611 of 2,112
Quote:
I find the new Lucid mode to increase the volume, prompting me to reach for the volume knob and lower it a notch or 2, to make it a similar volume to the old Lucid mode. Its mostly because its bringing sounds from the background to the forefront. Sounds that are in the left and right channels..

I thought it was that way too till I switched out the tubes.
Once I switched out the stock tube I couldn't hear passages of certain songs when the switch was flipped towards what I thought was regular stereo. 
I guess my taboo switches were wired the opposite way?

May 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #612 of 2,112
Quote:
I received my Taboo III a few weeks ago and still playing around to figure out if I like this or not. I like the new lucid mode but am noticing hum when it is turned on through my LCD-2 REV1.

My Taboo III has hum too when I turn on the new lucid mode.
Barely noticeable with LCD2, but very annoying with PS1000.
In fact, if paired with PS1000, the hum is noticeable even when both lucid mode are off.     

May 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #614 of 2,112
When I'm listening with the single ended headphone output, and I'm facing the front of the amp, the lucid mode switches are NOT engaged when they are AWAY from me (as the manual dictates)...when both lucid modes are off the soundstage is VERY small and, yes, I'm hearing that some sounds are missing....particularly those sounds located in the left and right channels. When I turn on original lucid mode the sounds that were missing are audible again and the soundstage is wide. When I turn on NEW lucid mode the information on the right and left channels becomes more pronounced and can sometimes take over the sounds coming from the center of the soundstage...like vocals or horns etc.

I received a balanced cable from Audeze the other day and I'm getting different results with both lucid modes thus far. First off the soundstage seems to be "normal" to me with NONE of the lucid modes on. Seems close to what I used to hear with the mini torii. When I turn old lucid mode on, the soundstage increases slightly...in a very pleasant way that I find I like most of the time. This is in contrast to using the single ended headphone jack where I feel like the old lucid mode is A MUST because otherwise I'm not hearing everything the recording has to offer and the soundstage is just way too small.....like I'm in the last row of a concert hall.

With new lucid mode using the balanced output (4 pin btw) the sounds becomes bigger and closer in a way....like I'm in the front row or maybe even on the stage....depending on the recording. The volume jump does not seem to be as dramatic with new lucid mode balanced, as compared to the volume jump in single ended output..

Some more experimenting is to be done....I'll try to post some more specifics, like which songs I'm using to evaluate and how it sounds with each mode, at a later date...

Oh also, I have a bad tube...one of the output tubes, so i stole a pair of Mullard EL84 from my guitar amp and that's been holding me down....until i can get a replacement pair from Decware...shouldn't be a big issue.....the nice thing about the meters is that I could see one tube was reading WAY stronger than the other....actually past what Steve suggested was a safe place for the meters to be. Then the offending tube made a horrible noise through my speakers (crackling, hiss etc). That's when I switched it out. The meters showed the problem a couple days before the bad noise occurred...

May 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #615 of 2,112
Quote:

Nice job, Frank.  Sounds like you really appreciated the Woo one-stop solution, even if the DAC is a step behind.  And I think you correctly pointed out the GOOD deal that this is at the price.  It helps people who are in the market search out solutions that might work for them, so it's a great thing you're doing to help the community.

Since this is a Taboo thread, perhaps you should say something here about how you think the Woo stacks up against your Taboo III.  Relative strengths/weaknesses of each? 

Your review was consistent with my VERY brief impression of the Woo 7 with my LCD-2.1's:  it has a really nice, sweet midrange and very rich sounding, but maybe lacking a bit of air.  Of course I listened back-to-back with the Bryston BHA-1 which stressed my brain.  The two are exactly the opposite with my cans, with the Bryston being open, airy, crisp and detailed, but lacking as much body and soul in the midrange.  But we listened to a lot of gear that day, and certainly not critically, since it was in a small-group meet.

Good luck with your new reviewer gig.  To me, sounds like an immense time-sink.  It really does take some extended listening to lock in on what a piece of gear really sounds like.  I like how you've used a variety of different headphones, IEM's, etc. to look at synergies and better understand the true character. 

Of course, you have to keep in mind great reviewing caution...  "writing about music is like dancing about architecture".   I'm sure you'll continue to improve at translating what you hear into language that those of us who haven't heard can correctly anticipate what it sounds like.  Good luck and have fun!

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back