32 ohms 1600 mw
50 ohms 1700 mw
75 ohms 1700 mw
100 ohms 1700 mw
150 ohms 1700 mw
250 ohms 1700 mw
300 ohms 1700 mw
600 ohms 1700 mw

These are the power ratings for the MK111 for anyone that is interested.

That was me asking about the power ratings.
Not sure how I missed this. 
Thanks Frank.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #227 of 2,112
Quote:
Ahh Frank, I hate to admit that I am still undeclared. I will play with it with my *cough* beats *cough* until the decision on the next step is made. It is quite sad, but like many on here, the failures of the mainline products push you into this hobby. I am still struggling with which cans to buy as I will not probably be able to get both for some time, as I want to get the Pendragons on order soon. I will probably have to choose between the LCD2 and the Senny800.

LCD-2, LCD-2!!

I actually can't comment on the 800, but I have the Beyer T1 which is probably closer to that sound signature
and I prefer the Audezes more. Of course it's all just personal preference.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #228 of 2,112
Its a tough decision. Especially now that I added the CSP to the equation. I wish the Audeze's were a bit more comfortable for long listening sessions. The HD800 seemed to respond very dramatically to changes in tubes and configurations, which is both frightening and captivating.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #229 of 2,112
There was definitely an adjustment going from the T1's to LCD2's in comfort and sound.
The lcd2's weight and fit do not bother me anymore but they were the only headphones I used for about a month straight.

When I had the WA2/T1 I could always notice a difference in tubes.
I hope with the Taboo/LCD'2s I will have the same experience. 

Can anyone comment on good tube selections with the taboo?
Any combos that sounded particularly good with the LCD2's?

I still have some amperex orange globe 6DJ8's I can use
but I think that is the only ones I have that will work with the Taboo.

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #230 of 2,112
Quote:
There was definitely an adjustment going from the T1's to LCD2's in comfort and sound.
The lcd2's weight and fit do not bother me anymore but they were the only headphones I used for about a month straight.

When I had the WA2/T1 I could always notice a difference in tubes.
I hope with the Taboo/LCD'2s I will have the same experience. 

Can anyone comment on good tube selections with the taboo?
Any combos that sounded particularly good with the LCD2's?

I still have some amperex orange globe 6DJ8's I can use
but I think that is the only ones I have that will work with the Taboo.

I am currently using  the Amerex O getter EL84 and a Phillips 5R4Y rectifier with a siemen EC88 but Genelex 6922. Sovetk 6922 and the Bugle Boys and orange globes all sound fantastic.

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #231 of 2,112
Quote:
LCD-2, LCD-2!!

I actually can't comment on the 800, but I have the Beyer T1 which is probably closer to that sound signature
and I prefer the Audezes more. Of course it's all just personal preference.

All three headphones are excellent. The Taboo MK111 loves them all.

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #233 of 2,112
Quote:
The Decware site lists the 5U4,5Y3GT,5AR4,274B as potential rectifier tube choices.
Is the 5R4Y a re-brand of one of these tubes?

EDIT: Nevermind I figured it out

It is a viable substitute. Its can used in the 5U4 applications and its a super tube IMO. Steve Deckert is using it in the Taboo also. i was on the phone with him the other day discussing some things I needed to know for the review. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #235 of 2,112
Quote:
Closest thing I can find is a 5R4GY. I haven't been looking that long though.
Do you remember where you got them?

Upscale audio in California has them brand new for 55.00 I just ordered two more as they will be hard to find. The tube is that good and I suggest buying a couple. They are well worth it and with two the shipping is free. They are online ordering as well and Kevin Deal is the tube expert in high end and he said its the best rectifier he has ever heard and he sell lots of rectifiers. They were 40.00 a month ago but supply is dwindling down so the price is going up. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #236 of 2,112
Quote:
Upscale audio in California has them brand new for 55.00 I just ordered two more as they will be hard to find. The tube is that good and I suggest buying a couple. They are well worth it and with two the shipping is free. They are online ordering as well and Kevin Deal is the tube expert in high end and he said its the best rectifier he has ever heard and he sell lots of rectifiers. They were 40.00 a month ago but supply is dwindling down so the price is going up. 

Yeah, I stocked up when they were relatively cheap.  Upscale is a great source for tubes.  While I usually opt to fish for local stocks and deals on eBay, I'd probably be saving a significant amount of money if I just ordered from Kevin Deal every time (fewer dead tubes and less buying random tubes).

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #239 of 2,112
Quote:
I ordered one and I also have a Sophia 274b.

Im gonna have to resist trying them as soon as the taboo comes in.

Do you have the mesh plate or the rigid plate version of the Sophia?  I believe the mesh plate Sophia falls outside of the requirements for most of Steve's amps.

On the phone I basically got this breakdown for the CSP2+ and Taboo mk2:
Safe:
  1. EML 5U4G (mesh plate)
  2. Sophia Princess 274B (rigid plate)
Not recommended:
  1. EML 274B (mesh)
  2. Sophia Princess 274B (mesh)

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #240 of 2,112
Quote:

Do you have the mesh plate or the rigid plate version of the Sophia?  I believe the mesh plate Sophia falls outside of the requirements for most of Steve's amps.

On the phone I basically got this breakdown for the CSP2+ and Taboo mk2:

Not recommended:
  1. EML 274B (mesh)
  2. Sophia Princess 274B (mesh)

I've always wanted to try those. However, according to the Decware forums, the only way to facilitate it would be to swap caps which would change the sonic signature of the amp (and thus require further adjustments to re-voice it). Essentially it would become a different amp.

No biggie. The EML 5U4G mesh is lovely & it's nice to be able to swap so many different types as-is. My alternative for 274B mesh would be jumping into a 2A3/300b/45/PX4 type amp like the Balancing Act. Unless of course Decware releases one... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back