The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Mar 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #151 of 2,112
Quote:
No, and I am running out of time thanks to this sudden burst of output from Decware.

Heh, call the waaambulance...
wink.gif
.  Mister top of page 2...
biggrin.gif

You need to git 'r done, you got a new baby on the way.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #152 of 2,112
    Hey guys, I have really been enjoying reading over these Decware threads on Head-Fi. Seems like a really great company, I really like what I see from them. I am currently trying to plan out my next few purchases, looking for some advice/opinions.

I eventually want to end up with a 2 headphone system (already have LCD-2.2) and a pair of monitors. I live in a small space, so I am looking for a single amp to meet all my needs. Currently looking at the Taboo MKIII and the Mini TORII as possible candidates.

I really want to add the HE-6 to the mix if the mini TORII can power it to its full potential. Would it be tough to get a good tube combo with the TORII for both the LCD-2 and HE-6?

If I went with the Taboo route, maybe pairing the HD800 with my LCD-2? Again, will the tube combinations be problematic? 

I would also consider adding a pre-amp a little further down the road. Is it possible to use the CSP2+ headphone jack, while it is being used as a preamp? I have heard many people mention that to be a great combo with the Sennheiser HD800s. But would it be possible to get the tubes right for both the LCD2s (running off the Taboo) and the HD800s (running off the CSP2+)?  

I will building my setup slowly over the next 3 years or so, one piece at a time. Upgrading my DAC also, early on in the process. Thanks for reading, any advice/help appreciated, thanks.    

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #154 of 2,112
If you already own the LCD 2 and plan to keep them in the mix, I would say the Taboo would be a no brainer with the introductory price and the ability to power speakers. The taboo was built for that headphone. The HE-6 would probably require more power from what I have read than either of those amps put out (not speaking from any experience here).

You could always add a CSP to the mix when you get your HD800. It is not on any introductory price and there are used ones popping up every so often (Thanks Frank!)

Nick has an incredible HD800 CSP setup. I would just copy his build, you will be very pleased.

Beyond that I am of no help. I think Aidee has both units and uses speakers. Maybe he can comment further.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #155 of 2,112
Quote:

Hey guys, I have really been enjoying reading over these Decware threads on Head-Fi. Seems like a really great company, I really like what I see from them. I am currently trying to plan out my next few purchases, looking for some advice/opinions.

I eventually want to end up with a 2 headphone system (already have LCD-2.2) and a pair of monitors. I live in a small space, so I am looking for a single amp to meet all my needs. Currently looking at the Taboo MKIII and the Mini TORII as possible candidates.

I really want to add the HE-6 to the mix if the mini TORII can power it to its full potential. Would it be tough to get a good tube combo with the TORII for both the LCD-2 and HE-6?

If I went with the Taboo route, maybe pairing the HD800 with my LCD-2? Again, will the tube combinations be problematic? 

I would also consider adding a pre-amp a little further down the road. Is it possible to use the CSP2+ headphone jack, while it is being used as a preamp? I have heard many people mention that to be a great combo with the Sennheiser HD800s. But would it be possible to get the tubes right for both the LCD2s (running off the Taboo) and the HD800s (running off the CSP2+)?  

I will building my setup slowly over the next 3 years or so, one piece at a time. Upgrading my DAC also, early on in the process. Thanks for reading, any advice/help appreciated, thanks.    

I've tried the HE-6 with the previous version of the Taboo, and it was an extremely bad match.  I've also tried my HE-6 with my 35WPC ST-70 that's closer to the Torii III in terms of power supply and output.  The ST-70 is a significantly better match.  While the Mini Tori would probably be better than the Taboo as it's transformer coupled with a beefier power supply, it's probably still not a match for the HE-6.  Now the Torii mk3 is one that I've really wanted to hear with the HE-6, and my speakers, but that's in another budget entirely.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #156 of 2,112
Attn. Decware Shoppers....On The Bench!

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #157 of 2,112
Eric, it really sucks that Decware closes for April.  You were so close....

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #158 of 2,112
Quote:
Does anyone know how many watts are put out at 50 ohms?

I know the website says 4.6 watts at 8 ohms x2.

Around 1WPC maybe a little less

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #159 of 2,112
Quote:

Around 1WPC maybe a little less

Power out put should be about 736mW into 50Ω.  Here's the equation:

P = V^2/R

P = power
V = volts
R = resistance

If you have the power output into a known resistance, then you just multiply power by resistance and then divide by the new resistance.
4.6 * 8 = 36.8
36.8/50 = 0.736

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #160 of 2,112
Quote:
Eric, it really sucks that Decware closes for April.  You were so close....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO........

Bad Dave, Naughty Dave!!.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #163 of 2,112
I really want to get one of these Decware amps, maybe I should be cosidering the HE-500 instead of the HE-6? Looking for a complimentary phone with a little more air & sparkle in the treble to compliment the LCD-2. Maybe the HD800s are the better compliment though for the neutrality and soundstage?

Can anyone comment on using the CSP2+ as a pre-amp and also using it's headphone jack for the HD800. Thanks guys.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #164 of 2,112
My "new" is newer than your "new", I'll trade you...
bigsmile_face.gif
wouldn't want you to have such an old "new" that's been spoiling on the shelf for so long....
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #165 of 2,112
Quote:
I really want to get one of these Decware amps, maybe I should be cosidering the HE-500 instead of the HE-6? Looking for a complimentary phone with a little more air & sparkle in the treble to compliment the LCD-2. Maybe the HD800s are the better compliment though for the neutrality and soundstage?

Can anyone comment on using the CSP2+ as a pre-amp and also using it's headphone jack for the HD800. Thanks guys.

The HE-6s are really hard to drive.  They require a lot more power than the Taboo.

The CSP2+ is very good for high impedance cans, but is not the best amp for planars.  It does a nice job with HD800s but I still think the CPS2+/Taboo combination does a better job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back