The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #121 of 2,112
Quote:
Yeah, I am just going to stick w/ what I have for now.  I could blow so much money for very minor improvements or worse yet, improvements that are not even audible.   What I really need to focus on is speakers, then phono stage & a then a decent MM cartridge.   I have so much vinyl and I'm seriously neglecting that part of my chain.

Nah, blow all your money on more tubes!  Everyone needs more tubes right? 

In all seriousness, which Ortofon Black cartridge is it that you have.  If it's the 2M Black, there really aren't many (if any) better moving magnet carts on the market.  What phono stage do you use?  You could always start saving up for the ZP3...

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #122 of 2,112
I use a POS Behringer Pre-Amp, I only needed that at the time for Ms. Pinky (A MAX/MSP based DJ setup, kind of like a bargain Serrato Scratch).   It does the job, but I'm sure I can do much better than it.   I think I paid $14.99 for it at Guitar Center.  I was playing out with this setup, and I really didn't want to put more than that amount into the setup I had at the time in case someone stole something when I wasn't looking.  

At home I used the Marantz's built in phono input.   Unfortunately (or fortunately, depends on how you look at it), the Marantz died recently and I have no idea what's wrong with it & no desire to fix it because I'm tired of how it sounds.   Since then I've been using the Behringer phono amp with the Lyr & it's allright but definitely not great, I can tell what's being fed to the Lyr is not very full, sound stage & details really suffer a lot.

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #123 of 2,112
No shortage of 90dB+ floorstanders out there today, but it's interesting when you start to look at bookshelves from the big name manufacturers : there must be an advantage to offering a 4-ohm, 83dB speaker for nearfield listening, but it's not terribly encouraging for anyone contemplating a SET amp. Dynaudio, ProAc, Paradigm, KEF - the list goes on.  You may not need the sheer volume in a nearfield environment, but you do need bass grip.

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #124 of 2,112
Any thoughts on these?  http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sansui_sp_x6000.html

I found a local seller with a pair for $50, 95dB, kind of late 60s/early 70s ugly cool styling but on paper they look nice at least.

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #125 of 2,112
Quote:
Any thoughts on these?  http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sansui_sp_x6000.html

I found a local seller with a pair for $50, 95dB, kind of late 60s/early 70s ugly cool styling but on paper they look nice at least.

I see those quite frequently never heard Sansui speakers but they were more know for their receivers than speakers. Advent and A&R were popular in that same period as were the Klipsch speakers. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #126 of 2,112
I see those quite frequently never heard Sansui speakers but they were more know for their receivers than speakers. Advent and A&R were popular in that same period as were the Klipsch speakers. 

Yeah, I saw someone compare them favorably to Klipsch Heresys, for $50 then maybe not a bad deal. My wife really likes 70s looking stuff so it wouldn't be too hard to get her approval on these, she absolutely hates the look of all the Zu speakers so I'm afraid those are out of the question.

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #127 of 2,112
Quote:
Yeah, I saw someone compare them favorably to Klipsch Heresys, for $50 then maybe not a bad deal. My wife really likes 70s looking stuff so it wouldn't be too hard to get her approval on these, she absolutely hates the look of all the Zu speakers so I'm afraid those are out of the question.

It's possible that while they're rated at 95dB efficient, the crossover is rather complicated which could result in variations in impedance at certain frequencies (which would mean they're not as good a proposition for the Taboo as some of these other offerings).  This is not necessarily the case, but it's a possibility.  I doubt you'll find much documentation on these in this regard, but at $50 it's not really a bad risk at all.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #128 of 2,112
BTW.  I am happy with my BITFROST.  My sources are an iPhone and MacBook.  I play music files and stream Pandora One.  I will keep it till DSD becomes mainstream.  The BITFROST did take some time to burn in.  I am amazed how good Pandora One sounds with my system and the Jazz Essentials channel is right on my tastes.  I am having fun studying tone arms and cartridges.  Wouldn't a Ortofon 12" tonearm and SPU cartridge set up look good with the Decware?  Add in a Garrard 301 turntable with a deep plinth that matches my Decware bases and a record cleaner and I'd "almost" be done.  

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #129 of 2,112
Snapontom, it's 'Bifrost', or - if you prefer - 'BIFROST'.

http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-bifrost/

That might seem pedantic, but you've gone to great lengths to capitalize the name when the manufacturer only does so in headings - if we are going to mention their product, we may as well get the spelling right, non ? Of course, if you have something called a 'BITFROST', I'd very much like to see some photos.  :)

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #130 of 2,112
Wow, thank you, I think.  Somehow I feel cheated out of a T.  I have always read it as Bitfrost and referred to it as Bitfrost.  Checking the DAC I see that it is actually Bifrost.  In a digital age bit seems better, bi rolls too much, kind of muddled.  This represents my first disappointment with this product.  
I wonder when we are going to get to the point of using this thread for its intended purpose?  Not that I mind.  Anyone want to weigh in on the prospects for the Cubs this season while we wait?

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #133 of 2,112
Top of Page 2!

popcorn.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #134 of 2,112
Quote:
Wow, thank you, I think.  Somehow I feel cheated out of a T.  I have always read it as Bitfrost and referred to it as Bitfrost.  Checking the DAC I see that it is actually Bifrost.  In a digital age bit seems better, bi rolls too much, kind of muddled.  This represents my first disappointment with this product.  
I wonder when we are going to get to the point of using this thread for its intended purpose?  Not that I mind.  Anyone want to weigh in on the prospects for the Cubs this season while we wait?

it takes a long time to get an amp shipped out from decware from the time of order

Users who are viewing this thread

Back