1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The decline of MTV

1. Spareribs
    Back in the late part of the 20th century, MTV or known as Music Television was a very relevant music channel for popular music. Many bands became  successful because of MTV.

However, MTV tried to be too cool and too hip. They wanted to be the center of cool and modern trends. When you try too hard to be cool, eventually you will decline. 

MTV is now like that old run down mall in decline with a bunch of empty lots and closed stores. Nobody seems interested. 

2. wuwhere Contributor
    Isn't it coming back?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/01/media/mtv-nostalgia-mtv-classic/

3. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    The problem with MTV is that they forgot what the "M" was for. Before YouTube was a better place to watch music vids, there was a couple of years or so that I'd tune in to MTV and see nothing but TV shows (and they didn't even have the funny ones like Beavis and Butthead at that point). MTV2 was fine, but then our cable service removed it and I was stuck with a channel calling it itself "Music" TeleVision and I saw nothing but drunk, half-naked "Italians" in Joysey and pregnant teenagers.

4. WraithApe

They came up with three cracking animations in the early nineties in Aeon Flux, The Maxx and The Head. Even by that point though, I wasn't going to MTV for music - which as you say, seems to defeat the point!

If it were to make a comeback, it would be good if it could put out some alternative stuff like they used to on MTV2. The only music channels now seem to broadcast slick R&B pop ***** 24 hours a day. It's like a waking Autotune nightmare.

5. ProtegeManiac Contributor

That's the thing, when people back then tuned in to MTV for what wasn't music, it was still related somewhat to music, or used a lot of it. Look at the interludes in Beavis and Butthead where they make fun of stuff that, at some point, was only seen on MTV2 because MTV was full of drunk "Italians" and pregnant teens. 

On top of that, there was one time (I think it was in 2000) that I flipped over to MTV and rocked out to Jeremy...and when it ended it went "MTV Classic was brought to you by..." I was 16 at the time and I was made to feel old, What.

6. WraithApe

Wow, that disclosure just made me feel old - cheers for that! [​IMG] You mean 'Jeremy' by Pearl Jam? They were still playing that 10 years later then? My MTV watching days were from about '90 to '95 I reckon. Pretty much gave up on it after that.

7. ProtegeManiac Contributor

I called one of my friends to rant about it and he said I just missed King Nothing. And I thought a nine year old song (at the time) was bad, but apparently they had a newer one in there.

Another kind of barely related to music show but was a really great reflection of pop culture (or a critique of it actually) and was highly entertaining was Celebrity Deathmatch. It was less music-related than, say, that live show on Times Square with screaming girls in the window (which to me was basically the teen version of that morning show by the Christmas tree on Rockefeller Center), considering it didn't always involve musicians, but at least it was entertaining as hell. After that was off the air, getting Metalocalypse at odd hours on Cartoon Network (plus Conan) was what gave us a reason to do schoolwork in front of the TV.