The decline of dolls
Feb 19, 2016 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Back in the old days, children played with dolls. These days, they are less popular.

Here are some photos of a doll factory from the past.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 23
To me the non-plush varieties are un-cuddleable, not because of the creepiness - of which many have in spades. It just feels like you're spooning a bowling pin.

It's easy to see how stuffed animals have become the more popular choice - there's a more universal quality there.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 23
My mother used to make and sell Raggedy Ann dolls, as well as quilts and other things.

It's easy to see how stuffed animals have become the more popular choice - there's a more universal quality there.

When I was a little kid, I had a stuffed animal cat that purred. I'd bring it with me everywhere, including to Cub Scouts meetings. lol. I've always been a sucker for cats, so it was nice to bring one with me when I couldn't spend time with the real ones I lived with.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 23
I still have most of the stuffed toys from when I was young, except for this adorable little sheep that I lost somewhere. I found and bought a similar-looking one (just a bit smaller though) a couple of years ago, but it must have gotten lost during the move. I'm still holding out for some hope there. Maybe I just have bad sheep luck.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 23
  I still have most of the stuffed toys from when I was young, except for this adorable little sheep that I lost somewhere. I found and bought a similar-looking one (just a bit smaller though) a couple of years ago, but it must have gotten lost during the move. I'm still holding out for some hope there. Maybe I just have bad sheep luck.

Oh, the randomness of the mind. You just reminded me of this Seinfeld episode about a doll.
biggrin.gif

And now I'm thinking about Dinosaurs, the '90s sitcom featuring main characters played by real people inside giant puppets with robot heads and separate voice actors. lol

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 23
I don't remember that episode at all. A lot of episodes from Seasons 7 to 8 have become a blur to me (apart from the one where Susan dies from licking the envelopes).

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 23
  I don't remember that episode at all. A lot of episodes from Seasons 7 to 8 have become a blur to me (apart from the one where Susan dies from licking the envelopes).

Since you're obviously a fellow fan of the series, you should see it!
beerchug.gif

(And if you're a super-fan, add Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee if you haven't already.)

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 23
I never realized how much I missed the show up until I stopped getting cable. I should probably get a boxset or something.

I've seen a few bits of that. A couple of them are funny. I'm not too into cars though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back