The decline of clothes lines
Jan 19, 2016 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Back in the old days, when you did your laundry, you scrubbed your clothes by hand and you made sure that all your stains came out. People wore clean clothes and they were happy. They didn't need to use a dryer because they could just hang them outside in the fresh clean air and beautiful sunshine.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 8
Back in the old days, when you did your laundry, you scrubbed your clothes by hand and you made sure that all your stains came out. People wore clean clothes and they were happy. They didn't need to use a dryer because they could just hang them outside in the fresh clean air and beautiful sunshine.

lmao. Great thread. Times change, people get lazier........

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordkapp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lmao. Great thread. Times change, people get lazier........

As much as I personally prefer hanging up my clothes for that sun-dried scent, and I still do sometimes, it's not about laziness. Back then people had the time because the wife was at home all the time. Also, as much as I like that sun-baked scent, few things have had me calling for the extermination of a whole genus of animals than finding out my clothes were carpet bombed by some damn birds. Seriously, I have stray cats everywhere, you'd think those bastards will stay away from my yard, but nope - I look out my window and the tomcat I had castrated is sitting on my A/C unit right next to a flu+poop dive bomber.

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 8
As a child of the 1970's, I remember vividly helping my mother (that of course was woman's work back then) hang clothes routinely. I do not recall what folks did during the cold Winter months with their laundry back then. Recently my next door neighbor set up a clothes line and had been using it regularly until the recent cold spell here in New England. I can certainly see the "potential" for having to re-wash you laundry by hanging it out to dry-I live in a heavily wooded area. Between the Oak trees, birds, squirrels etc. Plus I have to say it is a bit unsightly IMHO. Sigh.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back