The Deathrock Thread
Aug 13, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Comparing it to nu-metal is quite insulting.

I wasn't comparing the music itself, but the marketing of the music. The term Death Rock sounds a lot more tready, than Goth/Gothic Rock, even though they are the same thing.

Oh, back to the music...

Moonspell is awesome! They started out as a Blackmetal band then turned into a Gothic Metal band. Gothic Metal, btw is just a heavier version of Gothic Rock, it's not something like Cradle of Filth or any of the Extreme Metal styles.

Aug 13, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Teenage Jesus and the Jerks
Love and Rockets - Love and Rockets
Siouxsie - Nocturne
I get some strange looks when I buy these along with a bunch of classical.

Love and Rockets
Although this group has no gothic sound/themes, they are good alt rock. I like all their 1980's material especially 1st three Cds:
-7th dream
-express
-earth,sun & moon
Their 4th CD "love and rockets" is decent but shows signs of creative decline, and all material from the 1990's is well below their best previous works. Recent remasters contain valuable bonus tracks, especially new "7th dream teenage heaven"

A more direct link to Bauhaus sound can be had with group Tones on Tail (although still not really gothic), and the recent remastered collection "everything" which literally contains all their worthwhile material in one handy 2 cd collection.

Aug 14, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

Love and Rockets
A more direct link to Bauhaus sound can be had with group Tones on Tail .

Yeah, they are a great band. I am listening to "Christian Says" right now actually. "Go" is also a pretty good song.

Dark, do you follow any of nick cave's stuff? I love the "Birthday Party" and "nick cave and the bad seeds"

Aug 14, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #34 of 40
NO -it is very obvious to me that you guys dont really understand these genres (goth or deathrock). To look at goth, you must understand it at its roots. Goth came from English punk. It was a darker more personal offshoot of punk. A perfect example would be Siouxie-when they started, they were punk (though a bit darker than most) but after a few years they gradually became darker and were one of the first "goth" bands(though they had the sound before it was really a genre).
Deathrock was the same kind of thing, but it happened on the West Coast of the US. Deathrock bands grew out of the LA punk scene that the germs started. The first bands (that I know of) were Christian Death, 45 grave, SuperHeroines. All of these bands grew out of punk bands. In some ways, the deathrock scene has been more open than the goth scene. There have not been nearly as many clones of the major bands within the scene as there was in the goth/batcave scene. If you listen to the deathrock bands I have mentioned (which are the more major old school deathrock bands) you will notice that even though they're ideas are similar, they sound very different. It seems that most early deathrock bands were individuals.
The deathrock scene was always a lot smaller than the goth scene which is probably why people just lump the two together. The Deathmetal scene (which happened primarily in Sweden and Florida<Morbid ANgel, CAnnibal Corpse, Deicide>) really started in the late 80's and early 90's. It was a much LARGER scene than both the goth and deathrock(and still is). So no darkangel you are misinformed. The Deathmetal scene is much more mainstream than goth and especially deathrock. If you go into a major music store(like Best Buy or Hastings) you will probably be able to find numerous cds by black metal and deathmetal bands. You will even find cds by the not so major bands within the scene. You might find some goth (Bauhaus or Siouxie). Very rarely will you find any Deathrock (aside form the occassional Christian Death cd)-you wont find 45 grave or Superheroines unless you happen upon a blessed bargain bin. NOw to avoid further confusion, the Christian Death that exists today is not a Deathrock band. The original band (led by Rozz Williams) ended in the mid 80's and reformed in the 90's for a bit. When they originally broke up in the 80's, Valor (the new guitartist) started a different Christain Death that played bad goth music. They eventually became Death Metal in the 90's. The real Christian Death Albums are Only Theatre of Pain, Catastrophe Ballet, Ashes, The PAth of Sorrows and The rage of angels. Dont buy any other Christian Death unless you like bad death metal.

Aug 14, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #35 of 40
Thanks for the history lesson Noiselvr87505! I for one, didn't understand since I don't listen to goth or deathrock, which I never even heard of the name until now.

And welcome to the board!

evil_smiley.gif

Aug 15, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #36 of 40
Noise
I think your explanation of "deathrock" as being gothic groups that originated on the West coast evolving from punk is missing the true explanation. If you look at the list of groups at deathrock.com the majority are not west coast. Maybe you have your own version of what deathrock means vs what deathrock.com is promoting.

After checking some other websites it seems that what is trying to be defined here is true old school gothic rock before it was "contaminated" by EBM/Industrial/Synth Pop. Seems that the goth club scence became too diluted by other electronic styles for many and there was a movement to recapture the true pure gothic roots. So there are now clubs and websites promoting "deathrock" to get rid of the EBM/Synth Pop that many
lost little vampires seem to like. This is fine by me since I don't care for EBM myself.

If you want to use the term deathrock vs gothic rock thats fine by me...........I would rather talk about music though and not worry about labels.

Aug 15, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I would rather talk about music though and not worry about labels.

That's what I like to hear
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #39 of 40
DarkAngel

I think that if you looked over deathrock.com a bit more closely you'd see that it isn't just deathrock. On their links page they have the CUre. I dont think we'd have to spend any time arguing over whether or not the Cure is Deathrock-cause they aren't. About half the bands on the sight are Batcave goth bands and the pages that deathrock.com has for them label the batcave bands as such. The original deathrock scene happened on the west coast, and many people's definition of deathrock excludes bands that are outside of that region and time period (Cali/LA-early-mid 80's). There are bands that label themselves as Deathrock now and some of them aren't from cali-or even this country. There are also bands from CALI and other parts of the US that have derived a greater influence from the English batcave scene than the orignial deathrock scene. This is probably due to the fact that even in the US the Batcave music was always more mainstream and easier to find. Plus, if you follow the goth tag down the line you are much more likely to find it applied to British music-you might run into Christian Death too.
I think another point to consider is the fact that Deathrock was always a part of punk in the 80's while goth had its own separate scene. This might have made it easier for people to recognize goth as a genre -even here in the US.
So yeah thats my two cents, but dont quote me cause I wasn't there. It all comes from what Ive heard from people who were.

Aug 20, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #40 of 40
Dark Angel-after reading your previous posts I must say that your taste is sickening. YOu think that the Sisters of Mercy are better than Only Theatre of Pain Christian Death? You think that Serpentine gallery by (puke) Switchblade Symphony is a gothic master piece. You just need to explore the genre more. It is obvious to me that your music collection is basic at best. You have barely scratched the surface. Sure we all love Bauhaus-theyput out amazing records, but there were some very good lesser known bands. You might want to check out the Gothic Rock 3 compilation by Mick Mercer for a sampler of the less mainstream batcave stuff (like ritual, bone orchard, turkey bones, actified, the dark) -I would say to stay away from 1+2, cause you'll probably miss the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back